Notices

Imtercom headset question

Old 07-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Imtercom headset question

What is everyone preference on Intercom headsets. Over the head or behind the head and why.

Thanks,

Padraig
Old 07-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Registered

Nobody has an opinion???

Thanks,

Padraig
Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over the head. JMO, but they seem to "stay" better at speed
Old 07-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Registered

Thanks, Gordo! That is what I was thinking but having never tried any in a boat, I wasn't sure.

Padraig
Old 07-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have over the head and they tend to want to come off over 70. I have chin straps on them to hold them on at high speeds. Most of the real fast boats are behind the head, I always thought it was because they stayed on better, but never tried them myself.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a very good question, I'm somewhat in the market for a set as well. What do most people use brand wise? My boat came "setup" with pirate intercom but doesn't look like it's actually still in the boat so starting from scratch. My first instinct was to check the classified section of some pilot boards, any other good places to look for a setup?
Old 07-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Have over-the-head Setcom ( Piratecom ) wireless intercoms. The behind the head would have been a better choice for 80+ mph running when exposed to wind, the over-the heads do try to lift off. Chin straps were provided to help with that issue.

In a sit down boat where you run behind a windshield, mine work very well with no lift off. The noise cancellation is incredible, voice activation and clarity are both very good. Wireless is nice to take in any boat and also great to still talk when docking and crew members are scattered all over the boat.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:00 AM
Registered

Thanks, Kelly. I was looking at the Setcom wireless but I emailed them with some questions, one about water resistence and got this back,

"Are they water resistent so that they can be worn on a boat in wet weather or if water splaches over the windsheild etc.?

They are not water resistant. A good rule of thumb for these headsets is to treat them as you would treat a cell phone."

This bothered me as I will, in nasty weather, get splashed occasionally. I would like something a little more water resistant then a cell phone.

I am seriously thinking of ordering these from Sampson racing Communication.

http://www.sampsonracing.com/Wireles...-two-place.htm
Old 07-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mlb75
this is a very good question, I'm somewhat in the market for a set as well. What do most people use brand wise? My boat came "setup" with pirate intercom but doesn't look like it's actually still in the boat so starting from scratch. My first instinct was to check the classified section of some pilot boards, any other good places to look for a setup?
I have a Pirate com Xtreme setup for sale. Give me a call if interested 716-444-6342 I will also be listing it in the swap shop.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo1979
I have a Pirate com Xtreme setup for sale. Give me a call if interested 716-444-6342 I will also be listing it in the swap shop.

Interested in more info sent you a pm.