Looking to buy a 32-35 something. Few questions >

Looking to buy a 32-35 something. Few questions

Notices

Looking to buy a 32-35 something. Few questions

Old 07-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Looking to buy a 32-35 something. Few questions

Just joined the group. I've been boating all my life but only owned smaller runabout boats. I do have some experience on bigger powerboats that friends and family have owned and I'm ready to step up to one myself.

I've been looking at a couple of 35 Fountain Executioners and a couple of Sunsation 32 Dominators. They all fall into the 2005 - 2007 range. I've ridden in a smaller Fountain and really liked it and I've always and still am partial to Fountain but I've been reading a lot of good things about Sunsations. I've never ridden in a Sunsation but have heard the 32 has as much room as a 35 Fountain. Anyone have any comments about the two I'm all ears. I do plan to drive a few hours to look at a Sunny in person but just looking to see what anyone has to say about each brand. Like I said I love Fountains but it seems like on paper the wiser choice would be a Sunny. They're customer service and parts availability is awesome. Anyone have any comments on what getting stuff for Fountains is like these days? Will it only get harder in the future to find parts? I know the company isn't done done, but seems like they aren't what they used to be say 5+ years ago. I'd like to hear otherwise if you have recent personal experience.

I'm leaning towards the 496 HOs because a few people have me spooked about blue motors and all the extra maintenance. Anyone have experience on say a 525 vs a 496 HO cost of ownership? I would say I boat about 75 - 100 hours a year. I don't always have a ton of time so when I do have it I like to be able to jump in the boat and go. I love to wrench on motors but these days I find myself with less and less time to do things like that. Of course I'd love to have a 525 or other blue motor (more power muhahahaha) but the extra speed isn't worth it if it isn't running half the time and or costs me +$5k a year to fix. Are my concerns on a blue motor vs 496 HO valid?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've owned a 32 Dominator as well as a 35 Fountain, both are small boats for their size, but the 35 Fountain has a much bigger feel & better ride in the slop, & high speed stability is hands down the fountain, My Sunsation was the older low slung dominator, I know the newer one's have taller hull sides , so this info may not be relevant to your situation .. I would take a hard look at the twin step 35 Fountain , great boat & considerable faster vs the single step model.
my .02
Old 07-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The 36 Sunsation would be a better comparison to the 35 Fountain. The 32 is a fair amount smaller.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
The 36 Sunsation would be a better comparison to the 35 Fountain. The 32 is a fair amount smaller.
That depends on the 32 Sunsation. There have been several different models over the years.
Dominator, SS. XRT, Innovator
The latter of those 3 all have the bigger/deeper hull, but some of the model names overlap a bit. 2005-2007 I believe are all the bigger/deeper hulls as well, but would be a good question to ask in the Sunsation forum.

It seems like the OP has a pretty good handle on things. Just be aware of where the length exists.
Some builders have length in the engine room, as staggered engine options exist(ed).
Some have molded in swim platforms which count in overall length, whereas bolt on tubular/other swim platforms do not.

As far as HOs vs. Blue motors (like 525EFIs), AS LONG as you do not have any leaky header issues on the blue motor, there is not difference in maintenance or operating costs between the two (other than additional fuel consumption and polish you will use on the headers).
Old 07-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Registered

I have a 35 Fountain with 525s. It is a great boat. Rides good, handles good, and runs great. The annual maintenance on 525s is very minimal they are just like any others. I have freshened my top ends which isn't cheap, but that isn't all the time. Like Sydwayz says and you will see on the forums headers can be an issue. They aren't as bad on side by side boats that are freshwater but there's always a chance. I can't say anything about Sunsations, I have no experience with them. My boat is for sale by the way. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Registered

Some great points already. I'd just add confirm what drk said about the blue's being basically maintenance free. You will pay more, but will make it up on the back end when you decide to sell. When you get a offshore boat you will want to go faster if you get one with 496's. The 525's are the best choice in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

The deeper twin step sunsations started in 04 with the innovator only and in late 05 to 6 they all are the twin step deeper boats with 2 totally different rides and room. I would venture to say the twin step 32 has more room than the 35 fountain. The twin step 32 sunsation will run 82 to 85 with 496 ho's and in the 90s with blue motors. Up to 07 the hull was a v and in 08 they put a small pad on the back of the hull and it is a couple mph faster.

Last edited by fasthawk6; 07-08-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Feverz29
Some great points already. I'd just add confirm what drk said about the blue's being basically maintenance free. You will pay more, but will make it up on the back end when you decide to sell. When you get a offshore boat you will want to go faster if you get one with 496's. The 525's are the best choice in my opinion.
Not true.

I have 496's HO's and have zero desire to ever own a 525 boat or any blue motor boat for that matter. It is all on the perspective buyer though and we are all different. It is true though that many do like them and it doesn't hurt resale to have blue motors.

I have always been a big fan of the Sunny's lines and hear nothing but great things about them and their customer service. That is something that goes a long way with me for sure.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Registered

Thank you for all the great comments. I think at this point I'm leaning towards looking for a Fountain 35 Lightning. The two step comments made a lot of sense and it seems the year and price range I'm looking at only the Lightning has two step hulls. I'm still on the fence on the power package. A bigger part of me wants to go faster but most blue motor ads say "maintained with an open checkbook". I don't have that luxury so it worries me a bit with those motors. The smaller more practical part of me says to stick with 496 HOs. I'm still going to go look at a few 32 Sunnys just to keep my options open but it would have to be pretty impressive to change my mind.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Registered

drksuroo,

I just tried to PM you but it says your box is full and won't let me until you clear some messages out. LOL

You have pics of the boat? Thanks for the info on the motors, I'm like you and think that the 525 is the way to go with that size of boat but I know two different mechanics that have told me to stay away due to all the issues they have. I'm starting to believe that since they're mechanics they only see the motors that do have issues and not all the ones that run without problems. I'm trying to weigh that in their comments. You said you have is listed elsewhere, do you have a link?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.