Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain fuel tank leaks??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32847-fountain-fuel-tank-leaks.html)

blown formula 09-12-2002 10:37 AM

Fountain fuel tank leaks???

I hear that Fountain has a history of fuel tank leaks.

Has anyone had a problem?
Did Fountain fix it?

CigDaze 09-12-2002 11:38 AM

Unless they leak straight from the factory, I would say it's not at all unique to fountain and it's quite common especially in saltwater environments. Simply put, aluminum fuel tanks need to be kept dry and well ventilated. If a fuel tank is not elevated from the supporting structure and moisture collects, it won't be too many years before they corrode through.

blown formula 09-12-2002 12:16 PM

Fountain wants $9000.00 to replace a tank...$1000.00 for the tank, $8000.00 labor..... I sure seems like they should design the boat with a removable floor to get to the tank!!

blown formula 09-12-2002 12:17 PM

Oh yes... this is a fresh water Fountain..... always stored inside summer & winter.

CigDaze 09-12-2002 12:22 PM

WOW, that's a lot of dough!!:eek: :eek:
8 to 1 labor/parts rate!

Too bad it's buried in there like that!

stevel 09-12-2002 03:51 PM

Some manufacturers recognize the fact that almost every tank will some day have to be replaced. Check all of your options. It may be easier to remove the engines, cut a hole in the engine bay bulkhead and slide it backwards into the engine bay and lift out. (if it will fit) The other option is cutting a big hole in the floor.

My boat has a removable access panel for the tank. I hope I never need it but it is there just in case. 42 Baja.

You would think they would start making these things out of some indestructable plastic - or fiberglass like a yacht. They last the life of the boat!

Steve

blown formula 09-12-2002 04:40 PM

Thank God it's not MY boat!!! It belongs to a friend!

DEVIL MAN 09-12-2002 05:32 PM

Had a 38 Fever....91 model....had it happen twice!!!!! What a nightmare.....it is labor intensive....10K is about right!!!! It had nothing to do with moisture or a salt water environment....it had to do with poor engineering when installing the tank....it cracked at the welds on the top corners where the side brackets were holding up the tank. Make sure and get a good marine mechanic and someone with good engineering skills and they will tell you that the fault lies with the manufacturer!!!! I know dozens of Fountain owners that have gone through this miserable experience. The factory picked up the labor tab and the tab for the faulty tank...since everything was apart, I picked up the tab for the one tank that was still good. Fight to the death on this one...it is not your fault unless the boat is 12 to 15 years old????

Good luck

DMan....and the D is for.....Dam, this thing is going to blow!!!!

blown formula 09-13-2002 08:23 AM

DMAN.... funny thing is ......this is also a 91 model but 29ft......
he did contact the factory, & they said they would NOT cover it!!
But will do the work for 9K....the owner to pay.....

The more people that can testify the Fountain covered their leaks, the better. The we can take a list to Fountain of leaks covered.....Give me names of those covered & probably the model of boat covered, PLEASE.

DEVIL MAN 09-13-2002 12:29 PM

blown formula.....You need to get the Fountain dealer involved...they care more about the customer than the factory! In my case, Dick Simon Marine stepped forward and put the heat on the factory....without the dealer involvement, I am sure the factory would put you off until the lawyers showed up. Now, if it is a 91 model and the problem is happening now, well, that is over ten years and I can't see the factory standing behind a claim on a ten year plus boat.

My tank cracked after it was four years old and then cracked after another two or three years. Hope this helps. Good luck.

DMan