Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Betty Cook, what's in a name (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32923-betty-cook-whats-name.html)

Rambunctious 09-13-2002 12:27 PM

Betty Cook, what's in a name

So I'm taking my dad and his friend (lifelong family friend who helped me considerably building my new house) on my boat for the first time for dad (I've owned this boat for three years)

I'm all pumped up to show off my Formula to dad and Fred and show them how I can be first in our club to our Saugatuck port ( I know, medium fish in a small fish bowl) anyway, fred being a gearhead and former cruiser owner mentions Betty Cook, and I say....

"who??"

Fred just looked at me...... "you don't know who Betty cook is??":rolleyes:

so much for impressing dad and Fred:(

I'm not worthy.......................................:o

so please tell me about Betty cook and the relationship with Formula,Kaama, Reggie, and offshore racing.......

I have so much to learn................

Fast Shafts 09-13-2002 01:36 PM

Betty was the first female (and grandmother) to win a World Championship. I forget the year, 1977/78?
Betty also started "Kaama" marine and drives. John Conner was her lead mechanic-throttle person. She was married to Paul Cook who ran the first Cat in a race. A 36' Cigarette was her first boat, a 38 Scarab was another-She also had a cat which never ran well. Originally from Glens Falls NY-home of the new APBA prez Ted Zolli. She passed away a few years ago.
Thats all I know off the top of my head.
BOB G.

Shane 09-13-2002 01:44 PM

She also lived on Lake George not to far from my house. Betty held the record for the fastest trip from The Statue of Liberty to Albany and back until Jim DeNooyer Jr. and Sr. broke it a few years ago. Gotta run will add more later.

wannabe 09-13-2002 03:28 PM

One Tough Lady!

Betty Cook was winning offshore races against young punks half her age! I think she was a National Champion in 1979 or 80?

She died of cancer a number of years ago.:(

She did found Kaama, and was one of the first to race a CAT. I remeber reading an article by her in Boating about how the navigator had to crawl OUT ON THE FRONT OF A SPONSON to get the boat on plane. Also that when they lost an engine in the cat it immediately execute a 90 degree turn in it's own length.

I have her as one of my top ten personal hero's in Offshore.

Wannabe

Steve 1 09-13-2002 03:45 PM

I have met her Before and she was a real nice Lady Also,That on top of a being a Champion !:)

Rick252 09-13-2002 03:56 PM

Betty Cook didn't start driving until she was 50 yrs old.

wannabe 09-13-2002 04:03 PM

That proves my theory:

Theres hope for me yet!

X-Rated30 09-13-2002 04:22 PM

Bulldog from this board owns one of her old boats -- a Larry Smith Scarab 377, I think.

Don't post this crap on a Friday afternoon! This is a good topic, but I have to leave town 5 minutes ago.

P.S. Never heard a bad word said about her. That is unusual for this sport full of egos.

burtandnancy 09-13-2002 04:44 PM

I bought a pair of her engine/drive packages and later when they didn't fit our boat, she took them back and refunded our money 100%. Went to a coctail party for her in Newport Beach, she was class all the way. If I recall, she may have been world champ once or twice...

KAAMA 09-13-2002 06:47 PM

I remember her coming to Saugatuck, Michigan in the early 80's for the Coral Gables Cup Challenge offshore races with her 377 Scarab. I loved her boat...KAAMA. She was also one of the first to try and get the sport of offshore racing to become more of a spectator event by having the boats run closer to shore. I respect and admire Betty Cook.