Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
SBI unlimited class: CMS 03 poised to take all the marbles? >

SBI unlimited class: CMS 03 poised to take all the marbles?

Notices

SBI unlimited class: CMS 03 poised to take all the marbles?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBI unlimited class: CMS 03 poised to take all the marbles?

With Qatar out of business, Envy just getting started, and GEICO having not won any 2015 events, looks like CMS 03 under Tomlinson on the sticks has the national championship sewn up (3 wins), and highly likely to take KW too. Discuss?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:36 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

You can never count Miss Geico out. National championship? Ya, she-gone. But Key West? Not a chance.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:18 AM
Registered

Geico is clearly off-step of their usual winnings, this yr., and there seems to be more emphasis on exhibition runs that actual races.

1) Cocoa beach (rough water where Geico heavy victory hull was expected to prevail): lost to CMS 03.
2) Marathon: Geico DNS.
3) Michigan City: Geico no-show

Only 2 races are left for SBI: Clearwater and KW. Unless Geico has a "secret weapon" waiting to be unleashed for those last 2 races, CMS 03 seems poised to take both
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by foxbat
Geico is clearly off-step of their usual winnings, this yr., and there seems to be more emphasis on exhibition runs that actual races.

1) Cocoa beach (rough water where Geico heavy victory hull was expected to prevail): lost to CMS 03.
2) Marathon: Geico DNS.
3) Michigan City: Geico no-show

Only 2 races are left for SBI: Clearwater and KW. Unless Geico has a "secret weapon" waiting to be unleashed for those last 2 races, CMS 03 seems poised to take both
I hope they do make Clearwater just to show you theyre still here .
Old 08-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,208 Posts

You guys do remember who took the 2014 Unlimited Class National Championship, right? Point being: Taking nothing away from any national champion in offshore racing, the regular season has no bearing on Key West, and Key West has no bearing on the regular season.

That said, I wouldn't bet against CMS. I also wouldn't rule out Miss GEICO based on its need to fulfill sponsor obligations. (And if I'm not mistaken, the team did run two races uncontested in New Jersey this season.)
Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Registered

The point of the thread was not to knock GEICO. I would absolutely love to see them come back strong for the final 2 races. However, facts are facts, and CMS has dominated in 2015, and since 2014 , was mentioned, GEICO won KW, yes, but everyone is well aware that had CMS 03 not lost that prop on race 3 in KW, GEICO would not have won. CMS 03 dominated in 2 of the 3 races. And I disagree that reg season and KW are unrelated. Seat time seat time seat time RACING boats in your class carries over to any event. As for the NJ races, the thread is referring to SBI races, not OPA. And again, since it was brought up, correct, uncontested in OPA - because zero opponents in the Gecko class there. The big dogs play in SBI.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

The point of the thread was not to knock GEICO. I would absolutely love to see them come back strong for the final 2 races. However, facts are facts, and CMS has dominated in 2015, and since 2014 , was mentioned, GEICO won KW, yes, but everyone is well aware that had CMS 03 not lost that prop on race 3 in KW, GEICO would not have won. CMS 03 dominated in 2 of the 3 races. And I disagree that reg season and KW are unrelated. Seat time seat time seat time RACING boats in your class carries over to any event. As for the NJ races, the thread is referring to SBI races, not OPA. And again, since it was brought up, correct, uncontested in OPA - because zero opponents in the Gecko class there. The big dogs play in SBI.
Thanks for the help, I knew the thread was on SBI. The point of the OPA races was, in fact the same point you are making on seat time.

Keeping your boat in one piece during any race is part of the sport. You're saying Miss GEICO took the title in Key West because CMS had a mechanical, which is in part correct. My question would be: So what? That's part of the game, and as an informed fan (as I believe you are) you should know that more titles have been won (and lost) that way than anyone can remember.

As for you assertions of the CMS team's "dominance" in the regular season—and every member of that team's cockpit crew is a friend of many years so I feel comfortable saying this—that's more than a little bit overstated. They beat GEICO in Cocoa Beach. GEICO didn't run in Marathon or Michigan City, and while there were three boats in Michigan City they presented no threat to CMS in any way, short of CMS breaking down.

If having zero opponents in a race isn't a valid win for GEICO, then you'd have to say the same thing for CMS in Marathon. But running solo in your class is also part of the game in this sport at times. A win is a win.

Now, if you say CMS has put more effort into the class this season on the SBI circuit than any other team I'd have to agree with you. Lucas Oil/Silverhook did the same thing last season and took the national title. This may well be the year of CMS and I'd be among the first to applaud the team.

Now, if you just want to keep it to absolutes that apply to all teams and say, "A win is a win," then CMS has indeed been "dominant." But if a win is a win, why bring up the mechanical issue with CMS that in part helped GEICO win in Key West last year? (By the way, if I recall what JT told me after the way CMS has a shaft issue in race No. 3 in Key West.)

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 08-04-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:52 AM
Registered

With Qatar out of business, Envy just getting started, and GEICO having not won any 2015 events, looks like CMS 03 under Tomlinson on the sticks has the national championship sewn up (3 wins), and highly likely to take KW too. Discuss?
The Tomlinson & Harris duo have now had five matchups in their #03 MTI vs Miss Geico, and have won four of those times (Including the GEICO DNS in Marathon). The single loss by the #03 team was due to a mechanical failure in KW, on the last day of racing, which cost them the world title. The KW races were against some of the best unlimiteds on the planet (BTW Gasse & Cintron need to be in KW this year, so they can measure up! ), and they won two of those three races.

This season, Jeff & JT have won three back to back races vs various competitors, locking up the SBI national title; they are THE team to beat, going into Clearwater and KW. Six races, five wins. I'd call that dominant.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:44 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
The Tomlinson & Harris duo have now had five matchups in their #03 MTI vs Miss Geico, and have won four of those times (Including the GEICO DNS in Marathon). The single loss by the #03 team was due to a mechanical failure in KW, on the last day of racing, which cost them the world title. The KW races were against some of the best unlimiteds on the planet (BTW Gasse & Cintron need to be in KW this year, so they can measure up! ), and they won two of those three races.

This season, Jeff & JT have won three back to back races vs various competitors, locking up the SBI national title; they are THE team to beat, going into Clearwater and KW. Six races, five wins. I'd call that dominant.
Originally Posted by Donzi ZX

I though this discussion was limited, pardon the pun, to this season. In 2015, CMS has beaten GEICO head to head in one race. Cocoa Beach. If you want to call that dominant, knock yourself out. Against "various competition" in one race—Envy and Lucas Oil in Michigan City—CMS won again. In the race prior, CMS raced itself. You can call it dominant if you like. I'd call it consistent.

But if a win is a win, and that's certainly one way to look at, then CMS has "dominated" the 2015 regular season and is a lock to take the national championship. I'm not looking at points, but I think all teams but CMS are mathematically out of the hunt for a national championship in the class unless CMS doesn't show up in Clearwater.

But if, following your own "a win is a win" logic, GEICO won back to back world titles in the class in the 2013 and 2014 in Key West. That it happened despite GEICO not finishing first in one race in 2014 in Key West only supports my contention that what happens during the regular season—in terms of results mind you, not seat time—and what happens in Key West have no bearing on one another. Key West is s separate, three-race mini season that demands consistency in all three races. Yeah, a mechanical cost CMS a title ... but that is part of the game. CMS is an awesome team and owner Bob Bull's commitment, with two boats manned by top talent, is unrivaled—maybe even unprecedented (my memory of the sport only goes back to 1995 so there may have been other teams fielding two boats in the top class before CMS ... I just don;t know about them).

As for the "team to beat" heading into Key West, there are (at least) two ways to look at it, the team that comes in with the national title or the team that won in Key West the year prior. (In GEICO's case, that happens to be the past two years prior ... and for the record I picked CMS to win it last year, which annoyed the people I know at GEICO ... in a good way.)

As for Gasse and Cintron showing up in Key West, that would be amazing. I'd say, without making a phone call to anyone, the odds are at best remote.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 08-05-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Registered

Matt, I thought you picked Geico not CMS last year. If so, good pick.

Lucas Oil winning the national title last year was a bit different than the #03 team of JT & JH and their efforts. L.O. remains mismatched and typically ends up being a lap-boat vs the larger powered cats. The current #03 team has won five of six starts, some with stiff competition, some without. They appear to be the current SBU team to beat, however you can never count the MGR team out (plus they have a title to defend). L.O. just isn't competitive against the rest of the fleet, when they're all healthy.

Earlier this season I predicted a mix of wins between the two CMS teams and MGR. Unfortunately the typically high attrition rate of the SBU class (50% ???) has plagued MGR, along with Envy & Performance Marine. Even the #3 CMS has only participated in one event, this season.

The attrition rate odds are starting to stack in MGRs vs #03's favor, however somehow JT & JH have been able to beat those odds (although I believe they did leave the Marathon race early).

The #03 team remains my top pick headed into CW and KW, until at least MGR can demonstrate they've gotten their latest gremlins behind them.

This should make the #03 CMS vs #113 MGR showdown in CW an interesting event!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.