Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the latest on the Miami Marine Stadium? >

What's the latest on the Miami Marine Stadium?

Notices

What's the latest on the Miami Marine Stadium?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

As someone in the business that works on yachts daily the Miami show is more of a brokerage show for yachts at best and it is run by Show Managment not the NMMA That is why it is on Collins. All of the big builders and superyacht suppliers are at Fort Lauderdale Boat show in the Super Yacht Tent. We display at Fort Lauderdale and attend Miami. I can tell you regarding the big boats there is no comparison on the yacht side. Fort Lauderdale hosts the biggest in water yacht show in the US.
We get most of our yacht business for the coming spring season and refits at Fort Lauderdale not Miami.
It stinks for the Miami show as it is by far the high performance display of the year and for you guys coming down in the winter. As much as the Miami show will bring people to the area to spend money S. FL is already packed with people from Nov through April with or without the show and that is probably why the hotels/local businesses do not care one way or the other.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

It is my understanding that the Yacht show near the Fountainbleu was, and is, a separate show and staying put. The big boats at the Basin would be the ones formerly at Sea isle and Bayside.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:44 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have talked to some of the OEM's motor side and bigger parts related companies, they all have expressed about how hard it will be getting their equipment and setting everything up for the 2016 show. IMO I think this show will be smaller as far as displays from most of them. I also would wonder about boat displayed - In the past someone who brought 4 to 10 boats, might just bring a couple ?

Is this correct info about access for the 2016 show - one way in and one way out as far as getting / leaving the show?

In 25 years this might be my first time not going. Man kind hard even thinking about that. It almost bothers me to think that I might not even bother with it anymore especially for 2016. The expense for the week has also out priced itself as well.

I can remember way back it was free entry for a marine biz thru the NMMA sign ups and then it went 2 passes for 25 bucks and then 2 passes for 50 bucks and the last 2 years was higher for 2 passes, want to say 80 bucks.

I also remember paying 5 bucks for a full day of parking per day and then 7 and then 10 and 15 and now currently 20 to 30 dollars per day just for parking. We always went from day one till the end.

I also remember staying at some of the nice places for 99 bucks per night - those days are long gone as well - hell 279 and up is the norm now . Like I said the expense of this has really become a ? to do anymore along with the location move.

Last edited by BUP; 11-24-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
It is my understanding that the Yacht show near the Fountainbleu was, and is, a separate show and staying put. The big boats at the Basin would be the ones formerly at Sea isle and Bayside.
That is correct, Cash. The yacht brokerage display on Collins always has been separate from the Miami Boat Show.

Having recently stayed at a hotel that overlooks the causeway that leads to Miami Marine Stadium, I kept shaking my head every time I looked out at the see of brake lights on it during the morning and evening rush hours. It's going to take a fleet of water taxis to help accommodate the show visitors. An boat builder exhibiting explained to me that floating docks will/are being constructed in front of the stadium, but only those exhibitors on the outer ring will be able to offer boat rides—the inner exhibitors will be "locked in."

Still, I'm going to remain optimistic and support the show in every way I can in terms of coverage. One thing's for sure: It won't be boring.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
It won't be boring.
At least by taking the water taxi EVERYONE can say they got a demo ride at Miami.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Sounds like a huge cluster f*ck!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts
The good news is that the in the water sailboat boat show will remain in the same location on the water as years past
Old 11-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

They are saying the residents will have one lane each way for them and the other will be one lane each way for the show traffic. People going to the show will not be able to use the lane for the residents.
I hope they have a fleet of water taxis or a couple of big party boats.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
They are saying the residents will have one lane each way for them and the other will be one lane each way for the show traffic. People going to the show will not be able to use the lane for the residents.
I hope they have a fleet of water taxis or a couple of big party boats.
I can't help but notice they don't seem to biitch when 5-15k people a day go out to Key Biscayne for the lame azz tennis tourney every march. They don't need a resident lane that week?!?! Whiny azz do-nothings.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
The bigger picture is the show promoter loses his grip on the vendors and the city! First the vendors are getting bent over on rent/booth location etc and if you leave the show your seniority goes out the window for next year's show. The city is squeezing the promoter and if the show is a bust then the vendors feel even more ripped off than they did last year! The city does collect huge rent for the show plus the hotel/restaurant taxes from all the vendors/show guests but they won't miss that money until future years if the show is a bust. As a vendor, imagine spending 50-100-500K to do the show and oops you don't sell a single boat! I have a brother in law in the yacht side of the business, they have been on the losing end of the 500K wager before (500K is staging the booth, moving the yachts to the location, booth rent/staff/tent rental, hotel/meals, then breaking it all down at the end)......with nothing sold that week!
I hear ya. My neighbor has a boat business and is part of the Annapolis show every year (they also ask for my race boat to display every year but I haven't taken them up on it yet). They about pack up the shop and take it to the show. The last couple years have not been so good so they have been scaling back. I guess its happening all over. Again Miami should be thankful for the show. Losing it could be just the beginning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.