Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the latest on the Miami Marine Stadium? >

What's the latest on the Miami Marine Stadium?

Notices

What's the latest on the Miami Marine Stadium?

Old 08-11-2015, 01:01 AM
Registered

Received 2,830 Likes on 950 Posts
Default What's the latest on the Miami Marine Stadium?

Thing pops up from time to time with big plans on renovations. With the economy at least on the come back, seems like this is the time to make it happen. I'd like to go watch a race there in my life-time.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Thing pops up from time to time with big plans on renovations. With the economy at least on the come back, seems like this is the time to make it happen. I'd like to go watch a race there in my life-time.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...le4028640.html

A $121-million plan to rehabilitate the iconic Miami Marine Stadium and turn the surrounding area into a maritime complex, announced amidst much hoopla only last week, crumbled Thursday after Miami officials balked at a privately funded proposal and indicated they’d rather pursue their own plan — even if it means spending millions in public dollars.
Nov. 2014
Old 08-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

They could hold Paddle Board races there after the renovations.

OH AH the Excitement
Old 08-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

here is a time line up to late 2014. http://www.marinestadium.org/facts
I know a 120 mil sounds like a lot of money but for projects like this its nothing. They need to get Google or bookface to drop some money into it.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
here is a time line up to late 2014. http://www.marinestadium.org/facts
I know a 120 mil sounds like a lot of money but for projects like this its nothing. They need to get Google or bookface to drop some money into it.
Miami has a lot of expenses trying to bankrupt it already. They have several bond issues to cover hundreds of millions in shortfalls, they have coastal flooding issues (high tide/full moon.....South Beach sewers outflow seawater into the streets causing flooding). Their pension plan is running about 25 million a year in the negative since 2009. They issue millions in future debt to cover current expenses.......that plan is like a ponzi scheme!

Spending 120 million on an old bayfront stadium isn't going to be a wise investment, especially if the costs overrun to 150-180mm by the time it is complete.

The other concern is future use. Nobody attends powerboat racing in big numbers and that would easily get derailed if a sea turtle or manatee was sighted anywhere near the stadium.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 2,830 Likes on 950 Posts

They don't want to release control if the property? I'd think they'd jump at private money to make it happen.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are they going to get all of us into and out of the show with those limited streets??
Old 08-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 44MTI
How are they going to get all of us into and out of the show with those limited streets??
I am on a video conference at 11am Thursday as the city and the NMMA release that plan. Don't think I won't call BS if I hear it.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 44MTI
That was our question as well. We booked our room already for the 2016 show but getting there looks like a treat in itself.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 889 Likes on 318 Posts

everyone talks restoration and that would be great but how many of you have actually been there? I climbed the fence and walked around in there about 12 years ago and back then there was little to save. the big concrete pillars that hold up the roof are cracked and split with rust streaming out of the cracks. that means that all the rebar inside them is now junk. unfortunately they let it deteriorate to the point that it would be cheaper, faster and safer to tear it down and build an exact copy of it. even then how are you going to pay for it? how many events can you hold there that will generate enough to cover the costs? even now they are fighting lawsuits from the island over traffic and noise, etc. the truth is that even the city probably doesnt want it rebuilt which is why they keep stonewalling every attempt. just my opinion but some times everything is a battle with nature and right now nature is winning the battle to reclaim the stadium.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.