? For Full Canopy Boat Owners >

? For Full Canopy Boat Owners

Notices

? For Full Canopy Boat Owners

Old 08-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default ? For Full Canopy Boat Owners

I've never ridden in a full canopy boat. Heck, I've never even owned a boat with a windshield!

Looking through the Big Cat Poker Run photos and seeing a lot of full canopy boats and then dealing with focking 104 degree weather here today I just got wondering what it is like inside one. I figure they have a/c and all but it must be a different experience. I imagine it must be a lot quieter than an open boat and much like a car, roadster vs coupe.

I'm sure when racing or running at high speeds it would make it much easier to concentrate, see and read the water.

Is it as enjoyable as an open boat? Seems to me that I'd want to put the top down!

Has anyone ever made a convertible boat or retractable hard top type deal?

How about another idea: retractable windshield. Like I said, never owned a windshield boat but there certainly have been times when I would have liked to have one. A power operated windshield that could be raised or lowered with a push of a switch would be cool. Maybe the heat is getting to my brain!
Old 08-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^this^^^. I've never owned a 100 MPH boat, but it seems I'd miss the open air feeling at anything but WOT. Hell I took the windshield off my Magnum and sold it.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

I have always wondered how safe a canopy boat is with no safety crew around if they roll.
But I also wonder about the poker run boats like a PR42 that has seat belts but is an open boat.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

When running 100+mph there is nothing better then a nice wrap around windshield or canopy on a sit down boat. Some canopy boats have removable roofs/hatches also.

Very happy with the canopy on "Unleashed"!!!!

I did love the open air in previous 70mph boats but not at 100+

My 180mph Ride in Low Altitude The Canopy was much appreciated! There's more room inside then one might think, and the view out is pretty good.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 08-16-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544267[/ATTACH]I have had the privilege to ride in the Gone Again Talon many times. The canopy does change the boating experience. Rick has a bunch of cameras on board so visibility is fine. Being harnessed is necessary and headsets are required to communicate. The air conditioning is amazing. Not getting wet in the rough is nice. Sitting behind the windshield of my Talon which had the lid opened is similar, no wind issues in the cockpit and much easier to dock and moving around while idling is much easier. Headsets make talking between the passengers easier. Any boat with a windshield is great at speed. Doug
Attached Thumbnails ? For Full Canopy Boat Owners-image.jpg   ? For Full Canopy Boat Owners-image.jpg  
Old 08-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never rode in a closed canopy boat-- for that matter never went over 65mph either. But even at these slower speeds I like feeling the wind blow thru my scalp -- Yes, I am bald!!

3pointstar
Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
I've never rode in a closed canopy boat-- for that matter never went over 65mph either. But even at these slower speeds I like feeling the wind blow thru my scalp -- Yes, I am bald!!

3pointstar

Even with hair, a 200 mile ride at speed with sun = pulled hair feeling + sunburn scalp!

Canopy boats look badazz but I wouldn't want one. I think Tres once said a canopy boat accident at speed (without a rescue crew) = trouble. If I won the powerball this week I wouldn't own a 150+ mph boat anyway. A nice 40 ft cat with 700's would be the end of the world for me.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

I agree with windshield, the air noise is a bit much.

To offshore and 27. On your sit downs do you strap in? I have seen open sit downs with seat belts and always thought that may be a issue if they roll.

What are your guys like?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:25 PM
ABT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has 5 sit down buckets but no belts.

I too have wondered about that in some of the sit down boats. I have never had anyone tell me they would feel better/safer strapped in and I have never thought one was needed.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are great when you are serious about going fast for long periods of time. Air conditioning is a must and seat belts as well. If you are not used to a inclosed cockpit it can be claustrophobic for your first few times. Most guys that have raced like them it lets you feel the boat with no wind or other distactions. On the down side the are not fun to pleasure boat with on a nice day. It can make the boat one dimensional, just good to go fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.