Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
2003 Fountain 38TE (St Clair Shores, MI) - WARNING!!!!! - DO NOT BUY THIS BOAT!!!! >

2003 Fountain 38TE (St Clair Shores, MI) - WARNING!!!!! - DO NOT BUY THIS BOAT!!!!

Notices

2003 Fountain 38TE (St Clair Shores, MI) - WARNING!!!!! - DO NOT BUY THIS BOAT!!!!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Fountain 38TE (St Clair Shores, MI) - WARNING!!!!! - DO NOT BUY THIS BOAT!!!!

WARNING!!!!! - DO NOT BUY THIS BOAT!!!! Boat survey was completed and I had to walk away from the deal and the boat after it was discovered that the stringers were "Soaked" and got a moisture meter reading in the 30's. They hit fine now meaning that the stringers haven't started to delaminate yet but it is only a matter of time and the surveyor said there is nothing I can do to dry them out. Wasted $600 on the boat survey so save your money and walk away! It has been relisted all over the various boat sites for $79,900.00 but once the survey came in the owner countered me at $60,000 and I still said no. These stringers will continue to degrade and eventually rot or delaminate. Whether they hold up for 3-5 years is a huge variable but you have been warned.

Broker - Platinum Yacht Sales (St Clair Shores, MI) - http://www.platinumyachtsales.com/
Listing - http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...&ywo=platinum&

Last edited by chris_dobz; 08-20-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for making other people aware of the survey results. I would never view it as wasting $600. Buying a boat without a survey, and then finding problems, now that is wasting money.
You made a smart investment and it paid off. I'm sure not in the manner that you wanted it to, but better than $80K!
The following users liked this post:
Drew555 (09-29-2021)
Old 08-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Registered

The link for the listing says page not found. But, you can find a 38 Fountain Tournament Edition at the lower price listed on their main listing page. They must have changed it.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That 600 was well worth it. Hopefully the owner will not just return to his original asking price now that you are out.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Registered

Chris I didn't want to rain on your parade when you first posted about looking for a surveyor, but based on the pictures alone, it looked to be in rough shape at best. I wasn't sure if you were getting it at a price where you felt comfortable and we're going to invest some serious $ to bring it up to par. I'm glad it fell through in a good way for you. I was doing a little research on the boat you want and there were 5 on BoatTrader that seemed reasonable. Sometimes if there is a boat you are interested in near a OSO member, they will give the boat a first look before you waste your time on a trip. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the follow up post, it helps.

Last edited by Feverz29; 08-20-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Feverz29
Chris I didn't want to rain on your parade when you first posted about looking for a surveyor, but based on the pictures alone, it looked to be in rough shape at best. I wasn't sure if you were getting it at a price where you felt comfortable and we're going to invest some serious $ to bring it up to par. I'm glad it fell through in a good way for you. I was doing a little research on the boat you want and there were 5 on BoatTrader that seemed reasonable. Sometimes if there is a boat you are interested in near a OSO member, they will give the boat a first look before you waste your time on a trip. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the follow up post, it helps.
Thanks! Yea, my offer was $65K when it was listed for $99,900 originally because of the rough and dirty shape. Of course that $65K was contingent on a survey which returned that the stringers were soaked which sucks cause the transom was good and I wanted to buy it and get it detailed etc. Once the survey came back I cut my offer almost in half to $38K hoping to at least get it for the engines to which the owner denied and instead relisted it on yachtworld for $79,900 hoping to find someone dumb enough to buy it without a survey.

Oh well the hunt continues. I am going to look for a 2008 or newer as that is when Fountain supposedly switched to all composite construction.

Here is the posting link that should work - http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...&ywo=platinum&

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by chris_dobz; 08-20-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Registered

Here is the link to printed pdf of the boat listing in the event it is taken down or relisted somewhere else with a different broker in the future...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Ws&usp=sharing
Old 08-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I thought they went composite 2004-2006?

Maybe give them a call. But even if composite it still isn't good if water is leaking into it correct?
Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I thought they went composite 2004-2006?

Maybe give them a call. But even if composite it still isn't good if water is leaking into it correct?
Depends who you ask...Reggie Fountain on this very site has said the first boats with composite stringers started in 2005, however, this did not mean all boats on certain boats and it doesn't mean the rest was wood-free either so to be safe it was confirmed that Fountain went "wood-free" on all their boats in 2008 to present.

See link to master list of no wood - http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ilation.html#b

According to Grander Marine:

"Fountain is wood-free 2008 to present, all vinylester resins, bottom is solid glass, hull sides and deck are corecell(composite high density foam core) stringers I believe are coosa, boat has an excessive stringer grid including center/keel stringer. Bulkheads bond and support the deck. Deck and cap are bonded to the hull with plexas, through bolted and glassed in place. Fuel tanks are extensively overbuilt in house, powdercoated, through bolted and glassed in place."

Coosa Information - http://coosacomposites.com/
Corecell Information - http://www.gurit.com/gurit-corecell-m.aspx

Last edited by chris_dobz; 08-20-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Registered

Had a 07 all wood and all wet. Replaced transom and stringers, buyer watched the repairs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.