Around Long Island Race Pounds Four-Boat Fleet

Notices

Around Long Island Race Pounds Four-Boat Fleet

Old 08-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,230 Posts
Default Around Long Island Race Pounds Four-Boat Fleet

Proving that Mother Nature always has the last word, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...our-beat-fleet
Old 08-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 208 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the great coverage Matt.

When we spoke yesterday, I was disappointed, but in the last 24 hours I have had several emails and some wonderful phone conversations. Despite the meager turnout, there really is a great deal of interest in doing real open ocean racing.

One person who called me explained that there really is a group out there that truly understands what we are trying to do. He asked if I would come to watch or be interested in competing, in some new "Unlimited Hydroplane Racing" The boats would be a 16 foot long hydroplane design and the engines would be a single outboard of no more than 200 HP. Oh.... and the races would be no longer than 2 laps. WhAAAT? Well, he went on to explain that the style of Offshore Racing that the sport was founded on is no longer being done, but if there were an opportunity to start that style up in a way that regular people could get into and grow over a few years, he felt that both he and his friends would like to do it. The Unlimited Hydroplane Racing that he described, can no more be compared to the real Unlimiteds that run today, than what is termed Offshore Racing today, can be compared to what Don or Odell or Jim Wynne or Brownie did, when the sport first started. It is still racing and it is close and competitive, it just isn't the same.

Once again, the goal of HORBA has always been the same. 1.) Save as many of the old race boats as possible. 2.) Create venues where they can be raced or seen by as many people as possible. 3.) Educate the public about the real history of the sport.

So back to the drawing boards. We hope to create some regional races. In the summer in the Northeast and the Great Lakes and in the Spring and Fall in Florida.

The distances will be much shorter, but they will all be held in Open Ocean waters and involve Navigation to get around the courses.

Class A 43 - 55 feet / No less than 110 miles race distance /1-2-3 place awards
Class B 36 - 42 feet / No less than 110 mile race distance / 1-2-3 place awards
Class C 30 - 35 feet / No less than 80 mile race distance / 1-2-3 place awards
Class D 18 - 29 feet / No less than 80 mile race distance / 1-2-3 place awards
Class H - Historic / No less than 60 mile race distance (All Historic sizes run together for Participant Awards)

Last edited by Top Banana; 08-23-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:07 PM
Registered

It looks like we are heading in the right direction with our idea for shorter courses for now.

A friend of mine from Europe contacted me and let me know that Cowes is doing the same thing, because of the same low turnout they were experiencing.

If that is the case maybe we could set up a real international circuit like the old days...... where the guys who could afford it, would race both here in the States and over there at Cowes later in the season.

With every dark cloud comes a silver lining. The best Open Ocean racing years may be yet to come. Stay tuned........
Old 08-24-2015, 05:52 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
It looks like we are heading in the right direction with our idea for shorter courses for now.

With every dark cloud comes a silver lining. The best Open Ocean racing years may be yet to come. Stay tuned........
The Sound would make a great location...except when there's no 8 footers Usually there's enough slop to make it interesting without jeopardizing an event.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

This is a short clip from our run, shortly before we turned back. We didn't need to run 40= more mile in these conditions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmdfXGH9JDg

Longer event video coming soon...
Old 08-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

We would love to have a race in Lake Erie. Could go around the islands, maybe Cleveland to Toledo or somewhere in between. Actually, Sandusky would make for a cool venue, run down to Cleveland and back?
Old 08-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by frickstyle
We would love to have a race in Lake Erie. Could go around the islands, maybe Cleveland to Toledo or somewhere in between. Actually, Sandusky would make for a cool venue, run down to Cleveland and back?
We have to cut this back to make it as simple as possible.

What that means is that for a few years, all the races have to start and end in the same location

Cuts down on support crews and trucks needed.

Ideal candidates would be two buddies who pick up a used Apache 41 or Top Gun and over the winter put together drives and engines. Come race season, they tow it to the races with a pickup and launch from the ramp.

During the race they are right on with navigation and they run the engines at a pace that allows them to live and finish.....and they win their class!!!!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
We have to cut this back to make it as simple as possible.

What that means is that for a few years, all the races have to start and end in the same location

Cuts down on support crews and trucks needed.

Ideal candidates would be two buddies who pick up a used Apache 41 or Top Gun and over the winter put together drives and engines. Come race season, they tow it to the races with a pickup and launch from the ramp.

During the race they are right on with navigation and they run the engines at a pace that allows them to live and finish.....and they win their class!!!!
Or tiger... jus sayin lol... do the bimini run again.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:48 PM
c12
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Charlie don't give up on the Around Long Island just yet , I want another shot to run and finish it. Hoping you will still do it next year.

Chris
Old 08-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went out to see the guys off. I give these guys credit for putting themselves and their equipment to the ultimate test. It was snotty out there. I knew when I left my house at 5 30 am, the wind was blowing hard out of the north it would be rough. Congrats to the Outerlimits guys for completing the run, and to the other crews for giving their best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.