Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
To Pee or not to Pee, That is my question. >

To Pee or not to Pee, That is my question.

Notices

To Pee or not to Pee, That is my question.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Pee or not to Pee, That is my question.

OK Guys, I need help. I have a 2001 35' Fountain Lightning. I for the life of me can't figure out how to get the head to work. I don't have a head or a pump switch on my panel, All I have is a water pump (which powers the fresh water system) and a macerator switch, which apparently does nothing because my tank is empty. I can get water in the bowl by lifting the handle slightly but cant get the suction to flush the toilet (A Vacuflush 106). I have run the macerator for 5 minutes or so thinking this might be what creates the suction but I get nothing. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TC G
Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got any pictures?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

If it's like the vacuflush on my cc, there is a pump on the end of the macerator/holding tank which provides the vacuum. It's a smallish pump with a couple of valves underneath a black plastic square cover. In my boat, I need to turn on the fresh water pump switch and the switch for 'cabin power' to provide power to the toilet. The vac pump should fire up immediately and I can clearly hear it until pressure is reached (in about 20-30 seconds) and it cuts out.

If you don't have a separate switch for cabin power or toilet, sounds like an electrical issue or a problem with the vacuum pump. I have had plenty of problems with vac heads but My biggest problem is lack of use. I always leave the tank pumped out dry but the down side is that everything else is dry and seals deteriorate.

Check the pump on the holding tank or teach the ladies how to 'straddle the gunnel'.........!

RR
Old 08-31-2015, 10:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Forgot to add, my pump out system does not have a breather so when I try to pump out, it creates a vacuum in the holding tank preventing it from pumping out!!

If you have a similar set up you need to hit your macerator pump out, leave the fresh water off while holding the toilet foot pedal down to open the system and allow air in or the waste will not pump out. Go figure? Double check your holding tank is empty because it may be full, in which case I think there's a cut out to prevent using the vacuum pump and over filling the holding tank.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 08-31-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Its called the Poop deck for a reason- go Overboard lol
Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Registered

Thanks RR. So I gather from what you are saying that when you turn your cabin power switch on, this starts your vacuum pump? I have a cabin power switch on my panel but when I turn it on there aren't any pumps that start. It sounds like I have a bad pump or wiring.

Thanks

TC G
Old 09-02-2015, 11:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry but I should have said there is one more switch to turn on power to the pump. I have to turn on 'cabin power' and ALSO the 'toilet' switch inside the cabin and it will start the vac pump automatically. Mine is a centre console so the switching may be different but the toilet and pump will likely be the same. Probably made by Sealand. Do a quick search and you'll find diagrams and parts readily available online, I've replaced parts on my current boat and also my previous Sea Ray. I'm in Thailand and seal kits and replacement parts are easily shipped here, most come from the U.S. I think, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Do you still have the original books for the boat? If not, this is from the Sealand manual for my 2007......

Trouble shooting:

Pump will not run.

A) No power- Check input power circuit breaker and fuse
B) Loose or broken electrical wiring-Tighten or reconnect wires at pump and vacuum tank
C) improper electrical connections- Make certain wires at the vacuum switch are connected to the "B" terminals
D) Faulty vacuum switch- To check vacuum switch, short across "B" terminals with jumper wire
E) Faulty motor- replace motor

Nothing incredible there but once you find diagrams on Sealand they show the pump assembly, wiring, installation etc. They are super helpful. It's actually a pretty simple system, just a matter of isolating a few things and process of elimination.

Good luck,
RR
Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Registered

OK. I don't have a toilet switch. Only a macerator switch, which does not create a vacuum after running for several minutes. Being that electrical stuff is not my forte' I will have a professional take a look at it. I just didn't want to take it to someone and they flip a switch and say here you go. Thanks for all of your help RR

TC G
Old 09-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ok, you've tried all the switches, let a techie muck around with a multi meter and he'll probably locate the issue pretty quick, there's really not too many things that can go wrong.
My guess, it will be a fuse/switch or the vac pump, possibly repair with a kit, maybe replace. Either way, it shouldn't be too big of a deal for an expert (which I am not).

Cheers, RR