Scarab Vs Fountain Vs Donzi Center Console

Notices

Scarab Vs Fountain Vs Donzi Center Console

Old 09-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scarab Vs Fountain Vs Donzi Center Console

Hello All,

I don't know if this is in the right spot but I wanted to get other peoples opinions on a new type of boat I am looking to purchase. I am looking to upgrade my Formula 242LS to a 30'+ Center Console with front cuddy. I am looking into the Scarab, Fountains, and Donzi's and even any other manufactures that others might suggest. I heard a lot about the Scarab "soft spots" and was curious what year did they fix them? I was curious what years to stay away from on these brands and if any of these one specific brands are better than other. I am curious on comfort ride and speed. I know fountains are usually lighter and faster but how do they handle in 2'-4' Buzzards Bay seas? Any information on these types of boats would greatly be appreciated. I like that style and want to go from a Formula to a CC but just don't know the pro's and con's with them. Any other questions please just ask or PM me, I will be checking this thread often.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CC with a cuddy, never use it, would prefer a cc without. A couple of things I would look at or prefer

Make sure the cockpit in the CC is self bailing
4 stroke outboards are prefered, oil fill for 2 stroke is always at a bad angle or place
Depending on use, fishing prefer 10' beam, speed would be an 8' foot beam
When running everyone seems to want to get out of the wind and hide behind the console
Old 09-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBB725
I have a CC with a cuddy, never use it, would prefer a cc without. A couple of things I would look at or prefer

Make sure the cockpit in the CC is self bailing
4 stroke outboards are prefered, oil fill for 2 stroke is always at a bad angle or place
Depending on use, fishing prefer 10' beam, speed would be an 8' foot beam
When running everyone seems to want to get out of the wind and hide behind the console
Thank you for the response. I am using this for day/overnight trips so I want 8' W.
I understand the weather issue with CC and that is a big draw back but it is overcome by the ease of cleaning the boat. What kind of CC do you have?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

I considered Donzi and Fountain 3 years ago and ended up with the Fountain.

I bought 'sight unseen' through an excellent broker but did a lot of research online before committing. thehulltruth.com had masses of great. Advice and different opinions. Both boats had their supporters and both had detractors. For me, the style of the Fountain won out and the boat is very impressive. That said, if I'd have ended up with a Donzi, I'd probably be very happy too.

Donzi owners will probably disagree with me but I find when trimmed properly and driven at sensible speed for the conditions, my 34 rides level, dry and very little slamming in the chop. If you crank it up in the rough, it'll get some air and will hit a bit harder but what boat doesn't? Where I go boating we have 4' slop most days, very often 15-20' between waves and usually coming from all directions. I can maintain 35 mph and still be dry and reasonably comfortable. Occasionally we get rotten weather with constant 6 footers and she handles very well but we back of to about 25-30 mph. When it's calmer I open her up and acceleration is excellent. Very predictable handling, turning at speed, not overly sensitive to load distribution and the talk about stepped hulls spinning out easily is not an issue.

The owners manual tells you how to set your drives and tabs in different conditions, tells you how the steps work and explains how a stepped hull must be driven at speed. All true and I can do turns at full throttle without spilling my Coke, but I tell the passengers to hold on!

You're looking at 3 very well known respected brands and I'm sure you would be happy with any of them. Choose the one with the layout and style you like best, try to stay as late a model as you can with low hours and serviced properly. You won't go wrong.

Good luck!

RR
Old 09-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I just went from a 24 Pantera to a 2014 31' Renegade CC. I spent the last year researching and visiting several manufacturers including Renegade, Concept and Sunsation looking for a performance CC. I also gave Superboat a good look. My suggestion is go with a newer Concept or Renegade. Neither have any wood in the construction and most have been rigged toward family performance and you could add the fishing the stuff if wanted. My family loves the convenience of the layout and space as opposed to my Pantera.Go with Verados all the way. Every aspect of basic maintenance and winterization can be done by the user/operator. If looking at Concepts go with 2007 and newer after they updated the bottom. My Renegade is a straight vee and runs through the rough as well as anything else in its class. From reading threads on OSO most Fountain owners do not like the smaller CC's they made because the pounding in the rough. I can't comment on the Donzi's. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
I considered Donzi and Fountain 3 years ago and ended up with the Fountain.

I bought 'sight unseen' through an excellent broker but did a lot of research online before committing. thehulltruth.com had masses of great. Advice and different opinions. Both boats had their supporters and both had detractors. For me, the style of the Fountain won out and the boat is very impressive. That said, if I'd have ended up with a Donzi, I'd probably be very happy too.

Donzi owners will probably disagree with me but I find when trimmed properly and driven at sensible speed for the conditions, my 34 rides level, dry and very little slamming in the chop. If you crank it up in the rough, it'll get some air and will hit a bit harder but what boat doesn't? Where I go boating we have 4' slop most days, very often 15-20' between waves and usually coming from all directions. I can maintain 35 mph and still be dry and reasonably comfortable. Occasionally we get rotten weather with constant 6 footers and she handles very well but we back of to about 25-30 mph. When it's calmer I open her up and acceleration is excellent. Very predictable handling, turning at speed, not overly sensitive to load distribution and the talk about stepped hulls spinning out easily is not an issue.

The owners manual tells you how to set your drives and tabs in different conditions, tells you how the steps work and explains how a stepped hull must be driven at speed. All true and I can do turns at full throttle without spilling my Coke, but I tell the passengers to hold on!

You're looking at 3 very well known respected brands and I'm sure you would be happy with any of them. Choose the one with the layout and style you like best, try to stay as late a model as you can with low hours and serviced properly. You won't go wrong.

Good luck!

RR
Thank you for this! It is very helpful. What size is your Fountain? I am looking in the 1990 years and know all three brands are well known and well made. I am more worried about the flaws of these boats. Scarab has a common issue with "Soft Spot" which makes me worried. IS it something I should be worried about because they usually get bigger than a spot or is it 99% of the scarab boats have them and must live with it? Also, does Fountain have issues like that, common issues? The 31 fountains I am looking at are nice but with the front flair and back molded transom, am I really loosing out on length and then really buying a 28' boat? Or is the 31 Fountains can run with any other true 31' boat?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ing
I just went from a 24 Pantera to a 2014 31' Renegade CC. I spent the last year researching and visiting several manufacturers including Renegade, Concept and Sunsation looking for a performance CC. I also gave Superboat a good look. My suggestion is go with a newer Concept or Renegade. Neither have any wood in the construction and most have been rigged toward family performance and you could add the fishing the stuff if wanted. My family loves the convenience of the layout and space as opposed to my Pantera.Go with Verados all the way. Every aspect of basic maintenance and winterization can be done by the user/operator. If looking at Concepts go with 2007 and newer after they updated the bottom. My Renegade is a straight vee and runs through the rough as well as anything else in its class. From reading threads on OSO most Fountain owners do not like the smaller CC's they made because the pounding in the rough. I can't comment on the Donzi's. Good luck.

Thank you for this comment. It was a big help. I am going to look into those brands and see what I can come up with. Budget is always a restriction but I like hearing new brands to look into for the CC. Thank you for this! Are stepped hulls good with rough waters or should I stay away from them for ride comfort?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I should have mentioned, if the cuddy cabin up front is a must, Fountain 32 and 34 only came in open bow models. The 38 came in both configurations as did the 31.

RR
Old 09-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay away with CC's that have wood in them. Fountain CC's unless fairly new have wood the them. Stringers get wet.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mine is a 34.
There is a 31 runs out of the marina where I keep mine and I've seen him running in our typical chop. Appears to handle ok, nose up a little more than mine but I've never ridden in it so sorry, I'm not a lot of help there!

Anything from the 90's you need to check carefully. Get someone to check for moisture, not specifically Fountain but any boat you consider. That word SURVEY springs to mind. If they've been treated nicely and most are dry stored, you should be able to find something solid. Just get an expert to check before handing over your hard earned.

RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.