Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best 20ft or less intercoastal boat??? >

Best 20ft or less intercoastal boat???

Notices

Best 20ft or less intercoastal boat???

Old 09-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Best 20ft or less intercoastal boat???

Looking for a boat to run around to dinner, tow a skier, etc., on the intercoastal in Florida. The boat will most likely never go out of the inlet for any reason, so seaworthiness is not a concern. The two biggest factors in the choice of the boat are highest seating capacity and something that can be left in the water with very little maintenance. The obvious choice of boat would be a 17 Boston Whaler Montauk, but if anybody has input on some different options I would like to hear it.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Looking for a boat to run around to dinner, tow a skier, etc., on the intercoastal in Florida. The boat will most likely never go out of the inlet for any reason, so seaworthiness is not a concern. The two biggest factors in the choice of the boat are highest seating capacity and something that can be left in the water with very little maintenance. The obvious choice of boat would be a 17 Boston Whaler Montauk, but if anybody has input on some different options I would like to hear it.
20 Albury or 23 Albury if you can spare the extra 3 ft.
http://www.alburybrothers.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Albury-Brot...7698/timeline/

They are pricey but the resale is fantastic. I know a guy that built one new, put 700 hours on it and sold it for 15K less than he paid for it new! Granted the prices of the new ones shot up in that 5-6 year period but his boat was over the top clean and it sold in less than 6 weeks despite what I thought was a high asking price and it being a salt water boat left in the water it's whole life.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

I had 13' and 15' Whalers since I ws a kid. As an adult, I loved the 15' whaler, a 17' Whaler would be even better. It was the perfect ICW waterway boat for Jersey shore. Many evenings we would go for a cruise; or go explore the back waterways, water ski (my friends), fish, crabbing, clamming, ect....The NJSP (marine police) never busted my balls, so I would drink wihin reason when I was on the Whaler. I also had an 18' Donzi when i was in college at Avalon-Stone Harbor back in the day, which was also a great ICW boat, except i was young, and the marine police busted my balls, thougn I was never ticketd, they ususally were jsut checking out the talent I had with me (girls).

Bottomline a Whaler or Edgewater are great boats for the ICW if performance is not a requirement. Or find a used 16' or 18' Donzi if there are Budget constraints. Or go all out an get a Hydrostream or Allison, I have always loved those two OB hot-rods.

My $.02 opinion
Old 09-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys. The reason we like the whaler is the 7 persons capacity and the simplicity of an outboard. We have the intrepid and the Nortech, so we are looking for something we can hop and use without the hours of cleanup afterwards.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:48 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

302 Sport -

Do yourself a favor and check out some deck boats.

Most may look kind of funky but boy are they killer for everything you said you want.

My parents got a 22ftr when they got a place in Ft Meyers Beach many years ago. Was unbelieveable (in the back bays and river) for all these same uses. It's now up here and I use it for these same exact reasons too. With just a 225hp 305 I/O it can pull up grown up slalom skiers even with say 8 people sitting aboard. Tops out in mid 40's, so they run qute well.

Much better than a CC for these purposes , until you get out in the rough of course. With a wide and quite flat bottom, they slap waves big time. But, you stated back in the intercoastal. so perfect !

Anyhow, they plane easy (no nose up) and can carry a ton of people for it's size. Seating and storage everywhere. Ladders and platforms in both rear and front, etc,etc,etc.

They make them many different sizes and outboard or I/O . Plus, much different lyouts and looks. Type "deckboat" into your search engine and then pic images. You'll see tons of different types.

Here's a pic of an almost identical layout boat like I use when 'hanging out entertaining':

Edit in: Make sure to get a bimini. Most biminis on this will cover 1/2 the boat, and with the seating a bunch can seek refuse under or it or move from out from under it.

Last edited by SB; 09-14-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with a RIB.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 532 Likes on 329 Posts

The Eliminators are rock solid, beautiful paint, great for calm waters

Photo Credit: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/5220602858.html

Old 09-15-2015, 06:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by noli

The Eliminators are rock solid, beautiful paint, great for calm waters

Photo Credit: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/5220602858.html

[URL=http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/Noli1012/media/Eliminator/Daytona19_noMotor/daytona19_05.jpg.html][IMG]
That clearly isn't a boat you can seat a lot of people and leave in the water full time.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Thanks for the input guys. The reason we like the whaler is the 7 persons capacity and the simplicity of an outboard. We have the intrepid and the Nortech, so we are looking for something we can hop and use without the hours of cleanup afterwards.
17 Whaler is going to be a very small boat for 7 people and the weight will probably exceed capacity. Usually the plaque reads like 7 persons or 1000 lbs.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:23 AM
Registered

Any recommendations on specific deck boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.