Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What The F*$k Is A Dragon Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33075-what-f%2A%24k-dragon-boat.html)

thisistank 09-16-2002 03:15 PM

Originally posted by PhantomChaos

What is a moter? Should I have some of those in my boat? :D :D :D

No Nort, You need drives in your boat!!!!:D :D :D :D
Just kiddin buddy

Audiofn 09-16-2002 03:36 PM

No Tank he needs to clean it himself so that they throttles do not get left at WOT. I think he was trying to drop the clutch and let it slide out of the hole for a good hole shot :D:D

Jon

DEVIL MAN 09-23-2002 06:30 PM

Southshoreu....I have seen the drawings of the Dragon Powerboat and I have seen pictures of the mold being designed. Don't sell Craig Barrie short on this venture....it is going to be one earth shattering boat with incredible performance. Craig knows how to build a quality boat and knows what is important.

Too bad you didn't know him at the time you were trying to make your Cafe go 90 or 100 miles per hour!!!!! He is an honest guy and he probably would have told you not to bother and get a Gun instead!!!! The fact that mega power on a Cafe does not work that well is no big insider secret....it is fairly well known....that is one of the reasons Jeffrey went from a Cafe to a Gun!!!! Just FYI.....they are expecting the 39 foot Dragon to top 90 with the new 525 package!!!!!

Take care,

DMan...and the D is for Dragon Powerboats!!!

caferacer 09-23-2002 08:06 PM

Maybe its me....but my cafe goes 80+ with 600 hp and wouldn`t know a porpoise if it passed one. it just runs awesome and crashes every wave it see`s. I dont believe that there is that much difference in the bottom of the cafe to the gun except the obvious 3 feet. The big difference i believe is the balance...like i said maybe its me...
TOM

DEVIL MAN 09-24-2002 02:07 PM

Tom....Your Cafe is a great ride and your horsepower is not extreme...I am referring to 800 HP plus...the Cafe just runs out of bottom and it takes mega horsepower for it to run over 90....there is a power to speed ratio and once you get the Cafe over 85, it just takes up too many horses. I have talked several times to Craig about the difference in the Gun and the Cafe....there is more to it than length...balance being one of the factors. Have a good one!

DMan

thisistank 09-24-2002 06:34 PM

Sean and DR. Dave, here is a reply from Craig Barrie that I rec. via email.

You are correct. The fisrt boat was the Cafe Racer. I got the name after being in Europe. They ride those scooter from cafe to cafe in the south of France and they call it "Cafe Racing". We built that boat in a seperate building as we didn't want anyone to see it before the Ft Lauderdale show. In fact I have a book that we kept shows us finishing the first one in the show. Thanks goodness we move in 2 days before the opening. On the orginal sea trail I lost the sun cushion and back seat. The boat after that was the re-make of the 24 called the Firefox. Thanks and I'll see you in Havasu. Craig Barrie

;) Tank

Sean 09-25-2002 09:02 AM

Tank,

That's an interesting email. Thanks for the info. I would assume then, that Craig was there the same time Don was...either working for him or in the process of buying the company???

Tom, I'm just looking for 80-90 myself...no need for the triple digits here, just reliability and driveability!

Sydwayz 07-06-2010 11:22 AM

Funny thread from back in the day.

PhantomChaos 07-06-2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3152159)
Funny thread from back in the day.

LOL! :D :drink: