Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Babies: how soon is to soon to hit the lake? >

Babies: how soon is to soon to hit the lake?

Notices

Babies: how soon is to soon to hit the lake?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its never too early, the boating style changes a little bit but they kids love the boat and someday will force you into taking them out
Old 09-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
The worst thing you can do with kids is over 'shelter' them.

Just look at the teens and early 20's (kids) of today. Prime example of being oversheltered.
I'm not saying "over shelter" by any means as I am the last person to advocate that. I am saying up until a certain age all a child can do is lay there, so I would want to be removed from all other boats if possible with a child that young. I have seen people out with 3 month old kids doing 40 mph next to other boats. I am not saying right or wrong or on the soapbox. Just my $.02, that is not something I would do.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Was that pic taken at the Buffalo poker run? lol

I saw you and your wife with the little ones at the run and I thought it was great to see you having them around the boats and being involved at an early age. My father did with me and I am better for it. If had kids mine would be almost immediately.
Sure was. He was at Boyne Thunder 2 years in a row, but Buffalo was the first run he rode along with us.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Registered

I think you should wait till they are at least 18 to 20 years old so they can bring their girl friends and not cramp your style, otherwise they are a pain.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had our daughter out on Lake Anna on a Pontoon when she was about 7-8 months. Great times & remember it often...even as bad as my memory is now.

Start'em young & common sense- Captain Obvious.

Last edited by High Cetane; 09-16-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Wife corrected me...again.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took our boy our at 3 months. My wife said " if he cries one time we are going home and not buying this" Never cried once he has been hooked ever since!
Attached Thumbnails Babies: how soon is to soon to hit the lake?-picture-011.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our little one started when she was about 5 months(born Nov 1st) so had to go thru winter. Our cabin is on a smaller lake so I'm not to worried about other people, heat is alawys my biggest concern. Getting a life jacket that she was comfortable in was a challange they all seem to want to choke her. We ended up finding on at Fleet Farm.

She loves the boat now, have the time the waves put her to sleep but hay a sleeping baby is a happy baby.

For the guys that waited 10 days I applude you my wife could hardly walk for the first three weeks let alone get on a boat.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Registered

As infants we had both of ours out -- my wife called them the "fun governors", but I was extra careful and drove like a human. Nothing puts a kid to sleep like a boat.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 09-16-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First one is due in the next couple of weeks. He'll be on the water come next June. Not sure he'll be in one of the go-fasts, but we have other boats more suitable. Will be a prime concern of mine getting him (it's a boy!!) learning to swim ASAP.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

^^^^Fully agree^^^^

Yup, a family rule of ours for generations is to go to swimming lessons, for, get this, minum of 5 summers. It's not just because of boating, but we live near/on a lake, many ponds/lakes/rivers/swiming holes nearby...not too mention houses with pools and etc. Oh, the ocean not too far away either.

And that's #1.

#2, they need to be able to help rescue us 'old folks' (we all took the classes young too) if we run into issues.

Water is a part of our lives - liquid and frozen. It's a must to not only know how to swim, but swim to save your life.

Carry on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.