Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Domination and Attrition at SBI Clearwater National Championships >

Domination and Attrition at SBI Clearwater National Championships

Notices

Domination and Attrition at SBI Clearwater National Championships

Old 10-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the OL boat is legal ,I assume it is unless proved otherwise .No way would I hold back ,that's gps racing .This is spec.

I,m a diehard SUNPRINT fan .I think they will win kw this year All things being equal .
Old 10-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid Fix
Doc,
I've always admired both your SV boats (Fountain and OL). You obviously spent a lot of time and money getting your boat dialed in. While I understand that your are in to racing to win races, I believe that your DOMINATION of the class is what let to parity restrictions. Would it have been a better move to pull back and "race" with the rest of the fleet rather than lap half the field? Winning by only 30 seconds is still winning and in my opinion team would not have recieved so much attention from the race officials (complaints from other racers). If your competitors feel that they can no longer compete in their class they will eventually quit showing up which will kill the class. It's unfortunate that you feel disgruntled with the parity penalty but from a spectator stand point it did make it a KW a more exciting race to watch AND you still WON. SV is my favorite class to watch and follow and I hope to see you race in KW again this year.

LF
Liquid Fix
Last week, in the NFL, the New England Patriots did not have to score 51 points to beat the Jaguars, and the Cardinals did not have to dominate the 49ers, by 40 points to win. The fans did not walk out , or loose TV ratings because it was a total domination, and not a close competition..

The current landscape for Offshore Power Boat Racing,......,, is that all penalties are issued by "TIME".
Any small infraction at the crane, on the course, at the start, at the drivers meeting, the parade, during testing, at the registration or in the pits, results in the universal currency of a "time penalty".
Therefore, the goal is to simply win, and by as much "time" as possible.............

A book you might enjoy reading:
The 10X Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
by Grant Cardone

http://www.grantcardone.com/strategy...ition-sissies/
Old 10-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saratoga Stamped
Liquid Fix
Last week, in the NFL, the New England Patriots did not have to score 51 points to beat the Jaguars, and the Cardinals did not have to dominate the 49ers, by 40 points to win. The fans did not walk out , or loose TV ratings because it was a total domination, and not a close competition..

The current landscape for Offshore Power Boat Racing,......,, is that all penalties are issued by "TIME".
Any small infraction at the crane, on the course, at the start, at the drivers meeting, the parade, during testing, at the registration or in the pits, results in the universal currency of a "time penalty".
Therefore, the goal is to simply win, and by as much "time" as possible.............

by Grant Cardone

Doc,
While see you point I will have to disagree. If a football game is a blowout after the 3rd quarter they will lose TV ratings as people will switch it to another game/program. How many people do you see heading to the exit early when a game has already been decided with time still on the clock? Baseball is well known for it. "Well, this ones over, lets get out of here and beat traffic." To each there on I guess.

That was an interesting article, thank you. Unfortunately boat racing (for the most part) is a hobby and not a business. It's entertainment for the select few diehard fans that usually enjoy watching competitive racing of a small fleet of similar boats. Like I said, winning is winning no matter what the margin. Win by 30 seconds, congratulations, here's your $20 trophy. Win by a full lap, congratulations, here's your $20 trophy and an additional 200 pounds!

I really enjoy watching you and Brian hang it out on the ragged edge. I hope I get to continue watching you again even if you gained a few hundred pounds and it's only once a year in KW.

LF
Old 10-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

I think another argument for not laying back is that Key West is a three race format with Sundays race counting as much as Wednesday and Friday's combined....should it come down to a tie between teams than the margin of victory becomes the tie breaker
Old 10-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Saratoga Stamped
Liquid Fix

by Grant Cardone

pure sophistry
Old 10-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cevert
pure sophistry
lmao!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Implement a motor purchase program and the problem is solved and everyone racer should be happy. It has been written here many ,many times that the cost of a SBI built motor is way, way less than the Merc. 525 so put a dollar amount on a SBI SVL motor minus headers say $15,000 and any team that wants to purchase your motor you have to sell it to them after the race. Putting parity on a team is just so wrong in so many ways IMO. NO ONE TRUST TEC. THESE DAYS. It takes less than an hour to pull a motor at the race. The crane is there and so is your crew. If you feel your fellow race has internal mods that tec cant catch buy the motor or shut up. If you are kicking as$ then I would suggest having a back up motor ready to put in because someone is most likely going to buy yours. After the competition has purchased your motor, installed it in there boat and still gets there as$ kicked I don't think to many others will think its a good idea to purchase your motors. Its the only way I can think of to validate that the other team is just better period. NO PARIDY.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

unfortunately money normally wins.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy let me ask u question, so if i claim ur motor and u put in your back up motor and i win with ur motor after you have been winning with it now What?

Why should any racer have to walk around with an extra 15,000 at every race instead of letting the org. do their job thats what we pay the org and tech inspectors for.

A team that doesnt have the money just bites the bullet????

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 10-01-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Implement a motor purchase program and the problem is solved and everyone racer should be happy. It has been written here many ,many times that the cost of a SBI built motor is way, way less than the Merc. 525 so put a dollar amount on a SBI SVL motor minus headers say $15,000 and any team that wants to purchase your motor you have to sell it to them after the race. Putting parity on a team is just so wrong in so many ways IMO. NO ONE TRUST TEC. THESE DAYS. It takes less than an hour to pull a motor at the race. The crane is there and so is your crew. If you feel your fellow race has internal mods that tec cant catch buy the motor or shut up. If you are kicking as$ then I would suggest having a back up motor ready to put in because someone is most likely going to buy yours. After the competition has purchased your motor, installed it in there boat and still gets there as$ kicked I don't think to many others will think its a good idea to purchase your motors. Its the only way I can think of to validate that the other team is just better period. NO PARIDY.

I agree with Randy! Engine claiming is a good way to keep a team from buying wins. If the price/terms are set correct (around $20k less boat specific hardware headers and engine mounts) most guys would gladly sell there engine. With new carb rule you can be under that new. The tech guy's would still do inspections but if you think someone has more power buy their engine. You may like what you bought you may not but you will have what they had..
Steve

Last edited by smiklos@sunprint; 10-02-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.