OT- Road Runner or AOL broad band?? >

OT- Road Runner or AOL broad band??

Notices

OT- Road Runner or AOL broad band??

Old 09-12-2002, 11:14 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT- Road Runner or AOL broad band??

Would someone please tell me the difference and which is better between the two??
I have DSL but to get AOL I have to piggyback it on top of Earthlink and this has caused some provlems. I have DirectV and am going to swith to Time Warner cable. Every time it rains my Satellite craps out .

Thanks

marc
Old 09-16-2002, 08:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my personal opinion, I hate Time Warner.
I'll never go back Time Warner.
Years ago I had them when they were known as CableVision of Central Florida. Telesat Cable service installed a line next to CableVision's and offered a free months trial. They had better service, more channels and lower price. I called CableVision and cancled my service, when asked why I told them about Telesat. The "customer service" rep got nasty with me then promptly hung up.
Telesat is now Adelphia and I've been with them for 13 years. About five moths ago I switched from Earthlink dial-up to Adelphia's Powerlink service. Been real happy and I also signed up for their digital cable service. That too has been great.
When Adelphia filed for Chapter 11 a rep (vulture) from Time Warner came to my door trying to get me to switch. I told him I believe Adelphia will straighten things out and they also assured me that there would be no interruption in service, to which there hasn't. I told this guy about my previous experience with his company and said I'll stick it out and hope all will be well. This jerk got nasty with me and said "when your TV goes blank and your internet fails you will be calling me" along with some other off color comments. I told him "I don't think so, if this is the way you treat potential customers face to face I'd rather go to a satellite system". He said some other things but had his back to me when he said them.
If you have Adelphia's service available look into it.
My boss has RoadRunner and he's been happy with it so far.
I believe you'd be paying both Time Warner and AOL to get both. Or are you just going to use RoadRunner's srevice?
Old 09-16-2002, 08:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok if every time it rains your sat craps out I need to know what your signal strength is!! I have sats set up on houses that have not lost signal in 3 years including snow storms. Some times we have to alter a tree or two to get the signal to work but they do work well. My guess is you have a poor signall strength and need a re-aim. They also have high speed satelite internet that is two way over the sat. It is actually faster download speeds then DSL and Cable, but slightly slower on the uploads.

I have DSL at my house and piggyback to get on to AOL for my email and have no problems. One way to help you out a lot with DSL is to add a Linksys Router. Even if you are not networking multiple computers together. What it does is it will continue to "ping" the system so that you will not drop service and have to continue to unplug your interface. We used to have to do this all the time. Ever since I put in the router I have had to unplug only once!!! I have upgraded a lot of my customers and they have all had the same end result.

I can assure you that DSL is FAR superior to Cable modem. So if you can be more specific with the problems you are having maybe I can give you some better advice.

Jon
Old 09-16-2002, 08:58 AM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

I currently have DirectV but the property management wants my dish down from the wall and I have no other choice about a cable company.
What I don't understand is:
While AOL and Time Warner are partners, both are offering the DSL like service, AOL-broadband, and Time Warner-Roadrunner. Is there any difference? I do plan on keeping my AOL service for internet stuff.

Thanks for the reply
marc
Old 09-16-2002, 09:05 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Property management CAN NOT make you remove the dish. It is your right to put it up and they have no say over it. Of course you may not want to make waves and that is up to you. However they CAN NOT make you remove it. You are protected against that. If you can go with the AOL DSL that is your best bet. Not only will you not be paying for two service providers but you will also not notice that your speed drops off durring high usage times. Just make sure you put on the Linksys router and you will be much happier with it.

Jon
Old 09-16-2002, 09:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wink

DO NOT use either one. Call your LOCAL ISP for Broadband solutions and keep your $$$ in your local community and help our suffering economy!!!!!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do you live in a condo, apartment, rented house or your own house?
If renting, they have the right to ask you to remove it unless you had prior approval of the installation and have such in writing.
If you have a condo or own your house and have strictly enforced homeowners association with rules against exposed satellite dishes (and some do, mine did), there's not a lot you can do. When you bought the property you automatically agreed to abide by all the rules set by the association.
Some rules allow the dish but it must be hidden from view, behind a bush or something.

BTW AOL Broadband still uses a phone line (I think) and RoadRunner uses the TV cable.
I'm sure that if you have both services you'll be paying monthly fees to each.
Just get RoadRunner and use Internet Explorer and Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook for mail.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mybe these sites will shed some light on your question:

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-216093.html?legacy=cnet

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-841059.html

http://www.cablemodemhelp.com/aolbroad.htm
Old 09-16-2002, 03:51 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Thanks for all your inputs..
I'll give ya'll feedback on the final decision.
Again thank you..OSO indeed has some of the friendliest members as well as the best schooled in all aspects of life.

marc
Old 09-16-2002, 03:53 PM
Registered

right now, rr and time warner cable. happy with it. no problems other than cable net being almost 50 a month...

Quick Reply: OT- Road Runner or AOL broad band??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.