Notices

Trip report-Velocity

Old 09-17-2002, 08:37 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Trip report-Velocity

Thanks Velocity,

I wish to thank Ken Hohwiesner (sales) and Scott McCormick (throttleman for the world record holder) for an interesting and informative tour of Velocities two month NEW facility in Sanford, Florida. The old facility was at the marina site the new one can be seen from I-4 on the right when going North just past Lake Mary. For those interested the address is 650 Hickman Circle, Sanford, Florida 32771 and phone 407-321-1340.

General info provided:
- I was asked and did not push it, not to take photos inside. Major reason-Interruption of work force. I've been there done that in similar occasions so it was no biggie. I di take some outside. See below====>
- If you ordered a boat today and due to backlogs they could not start on it until November.
-Once ordered it would take approximately five weeks till you could splash it.
-There were 2 boats outside completed and waiting delivery.
- There were 4 boats in various stages of fab.
-Simple graphics are done by Velocity, complex graphics are done by an outside source. They had an experimental boat (powered by twin Vortecs) that had one of the most beautiful grapgics I have ever seen. Major colors were blue, yellow and green matched with a white cloud like background.
-Velocity manufactures about 90 boats a year.
- The shop, though small, was clean and well organized, and all employees working like crazy.
-Lessons learned=====>NEVER speed when it's raining and hauling a 36, and ALWAYS purchase the proper trailer for the size/weight of the boat.
-WILERTY==>The 35 footer is still in design stage. No commitment was provided as to the completion of design.
-27 FOUNTAIN==>The X Dim is measured from BOTTOM center line to the center of the drive shaft. Since this was the first time I even heard of that term I may be wrong. It would be best to contact Scott to get the correct skinny.
-BAJA=====> I failed to get any info on stringers. My printer cut off the word "stringer"..sorry...
-Dean====>Sorry- Steve was not there and we only met Scott and Ken, but no "Max"
- Next visit===> Fort lauderdale boat show (Velocity is still trying to get a spot), but will be at Miami.
-Next race====>San Diego at the Thunderboat Regatta....

Take care
marc
Attached Thumbnails Trip report-Velocity-p9174863-.jpg  
Old 09-17-2002, 08:38 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

another
Attached Thumbnails Trip report-Velocity-p9174865-.jpg  
Old 09-17-2002, 08:40 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

waiting for delivery
Attached Thumbnails Trip report-Velocity-p9174864-.jpg  
Old 09-17-2002, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

The experimental boat you are refering to was painted by eye kandy kustom paint in altamonte springs. They are a small custom shop that does some WILD paint on offshore boats, bikes, cars, etc.... They also do regular signage and print work. They made up some vinyl lettering for my truck, boat and trailer. When they say they can do anything, they can! I have the number if anyone around here in the orlando area wants it. You should see the boat in alot of the poker runs in the southeast, it was in the Destin FL run, and I do believe he will be in the sarasota run next month as well.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:21 AM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

ttt
Old 09-18-2002, 06:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Mark,
Thanks for the update. I've been to the old factory a couple of times, I'd like to go see the new one. Did they say whether or not Max still worked there or not? He had bypass surgery last year, and I hope he is ok, Max has helped me out on numerous occasions with parts. I've talked to Steve a couple of times, real nice guy. Are you looking @ possiblily buying a Velocity?
MD
Old 09-18-2002, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the report!
Old 09-18-2002, 07:43 AM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Default MAX

Dean===>Max ia on vacation and according to the people ther his health is now doing just fime.

I may get a Velocity (28) if my buddy quicks dikkin around and builds that damn marina. Iyt's on temporay hold for now=$$$
take care
marc
Old 09-18-2002, 08:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Mark,
I think that the new 280 is one sweeeeet boat, and very fast. I really like the integrated swim platform and the new lines. Story has it that's it a better rough water boat, than the old 280's like mine! Although, I don't have any problems running in the rough, you just can't over trim it, neutral is best for running in the rough!
Is your buddy still having permitting problems with his marina? I think the sooner he gets it done, the better, because the $MC onslaught is only going to get worse!!!!
MD
Old 09-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Registered

Baja, what do you want to know about the stringers?

Quick Reply: Trip report-Velocity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.