Notices

Mercury Verado 400R-Powered 32’ Doug Wright Reaches 124 MPH

Old 11-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Matt
I have to say I have personally seen the boat and not to take anything away from it but there is not much hardware on that boat and other than the 2 seats in the back and the extra weight from tanks, stringers etc for the 400's it is a close to a race boat as you can get.
Again it really does not matter either way as it is a great run. Let's all keep in mind the 124 was with 2 guys and not much fuel. Let's add fuel, people, coolers, anchor, chain, fenders, ropes, maybe a tool box and see what she does as these are all items that are in my boat on a daily basis.
I would guess that boat weighs around 4500lbs in comparison to Steve's Skater at 5500lbs. Skater has twice the cockpit and full interior that will seat 6 people. Both are beautiful boats and would love to own either one.
Just my 2 cents.
Well ... I haven't seen it firsthand and my co-editor wrote the story so in addition to respecting your opinion on general principle I have to defer to an educated first-person view. Plus, it does seem that the line between raceboats and pleasure boats has become awfully thin. So I appreciate the discussion and input. It makes me rethink my position, which is never a bad thing. Your two cents is way more valuable than that.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Matt,
It is always good to have other perspectives that's what makes our sport so great. You guys do a great job and keep up the good work. Not trying to discard what you wrote by any means. In the end we all wish our boats were race boats LOL!!
I agree that there is a fine line between race/pleasure boats these days.
Carry On!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
I agree that there is a fine line between race/pleasure boats these days. Carry On!
In most ways I think the pleasure boats have exceeded the race boats. This DW build and the likes of Pure Platinum with his monster cubes/hp mills have been refined with a high level of comfort but an run neck and neck with a dedicated race boat as the hulls are popped from the same mould. It seems that when you order a boat now the race boat is the base version, answer the question light layup y/n... and you build from there and just keep adding comfort

If Merc threw the ultimate bone and came out with a 15" mid 400R - you could literally take any of the DW 32's in the classifieds and tweek the interior to this boats upgrade (less the rif-raff non paying back seat passengers) and literally run your home lake, poker runs and contend in the Worlds at KW. The X-cat 400 prototypes were fast!

Interesting the lengths of the boats making news are the +30' 400R's...up until last spring the builds were about 28's/300xs, monster skaters or dream build MTI's like Ginos and Raising the Steaks.

Ktron and DW put a REALLY nice machine together!

Last edited by speicher lane; 11-03-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's seems to be few and far between, but a thread with a great discussion without someone's panties getting bunched up. I think it's great to see Nasty's and this DW taking things to another level and pushing two premier builders. It's great for the sport.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the "collective we" loosing hate for the Mercury V 400?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Not a hater just skeptical!!! The good thing is there are more builds underway. Ktron's boat and another 308 Skater Classic Deck that will be ready for the spring as well as the new MTI. By the way the 308 is not mine!!!!!
There is no doubt they are gaining momentum among the builders and consumers.
Spoke to Troy this morning and they plan to weigh this boat soon and that will help determine the real gains in HP vs weight and whether it is worth the money for the upgrade over the two strokes.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive #'S!!!!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:08 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

I like skaters very fast, good looking, top of the line boats. but why is it when some other brand competes with it in any way looks ,speed, layup, or what ever people get their britches in a wad?

good job to all involved with the new DW.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:45 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Boat is sick!!

Matt, does it have 12v a/c? What brand?
Old 11-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
Boat is sick!!

Matt, does it have 12v a/c? What brand?
great question.....how cool would that be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.