What's in your boating tool kit? >

What's in your boating tool kit?

Notices

What's in your boating tool kit?

Old 11-01-2015, 03:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts
Default What's in your boating tool kit?

Just interested to know how much you guys carry onboard in terms of tools and equipment?

All our boats are different , I've got outboards so there's not as much I can do mechanically compared to the majority with inboards. Some of you guys do all the maintenance and work on your boat and know it all backwards so you might carry gear for every possible scenario. Some of us are not so knowledgeable so there's no point having a huge tool kit.

Im not an idiot and I know my way around boats but when it comes to electrical or in depth mechanical knowledge, I proceed cautiously. All I carry is a few screwdrivers, two different size shifters, pliers, pointy nose pliers, sharp knife, electrical tape, and a small container of spares (switches, bulbs, screws, nuts, bolts and fittings, specific to my boat which I have somehow collected. Full socket sets and a comprehensive array of wrenches would be a waste for me.

I'm not talking about when you're dialing in, tuning and setting up but more generally, a typical Sunday out with a few friends. What's in your toolbox and do you carry more offshore vs. inland use?

RR
Old 11-01-2015, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I carry a full socket set, set of end wrenches, screwdriver with changeable bits, pliers, spare hose clamps, electrical connectors, spare solenoid for trim pumps and starter, zip ties, fuel filter, filter wrench, 12v test light, misc. spare wire. Some will say that its excessive but I've never been stranded.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Drock just described my tool bag but I also carry a spare msd box and coil.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:21 AM
2jz
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i carry a small tool kit with sockets,wrenches,pliers,and couple screwdrivers. i also have small tool bag with fuel filter,zip ties,gloves, fuses, and a drive belt
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah yeah,carry one fuel filter,oil filter,all electronic parts plus cap and rotor for hei distributor,shaft packing hose clamps ,full set screwdriver,combination wrenches ,socket set ,strap wrench,adjustable wrenches 8,10,12. Pipe wrenches.machine screws and nuts zip ties mechanics wire,shaft packing 8 sparkplug,water pump impellar,snap rings and orings. Paint scrapers ,varnish paint(woodencruiser) cotter pins pry bar various serrated knives.um a mechanic totally self reliant.help others out all the time �� forgot about all the different sets of pliers and vice grips gallon of oil trans fluid funnel and more...toolbox weighs 70 pounds.......

Last edited by jekyl; 11-01-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:52 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my most loaned out tool over the years is a breaker bar and a 1 & 1/16th socket along with a 6" piece of 2 x 4
Old 11-01-2015, 08:10 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Enough basic tools to do a top end.....but never the right tool when I need it.

Randy
Old 11-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

tools
3/8 ratchet, 1 3 6 8" extentions, 5/16-3/4 socket set + 1 for alt pully, drive lock key, 1/4-3/4 end wrench set, 15mm end wrench, allen socket set, 1/4 drive torx socket set, 1/4 drive 3/8 12pt wobble, 1/4 drive 1/4 12 pt socket and 3" extention, 3/8-1/4 adapter, pick w/straight and 90*, wire crimper/stripper, wire cutter, razor blades, driver handle and bit set w/common and phillips 1 and 2, and sockets, test light, crecent wrench, telescoping magnet for bilge and 10# magnet for overboard, scanner, book, flashlight, super soaker, flush hose adapter, funnel, nitril gloves, paper and cloth towels

parts
impeller and housing, wire, string, duct and electrical tape, zip ties, couple wire ends, fuses, A/N caps and hose clamps, header drain plugs, shim stock, belts, lt bulbs, silicone, 1 qt engine, P/S, drive, blower, trim oils, astrolube, keys

1st aid kit with a bunch of stuff

trailer
jack, ramp, lug wrench, tire, hose, cleaner

home
engine and drive stands, gantry, drive alignment tool, shift cable adjustment tools, prop socket, transom assy hose socket, shift bellows clamper, swivel pin wrench, prop file and hammer, oil filter wrench and center punch, miti vac, syringe, drive oil pump, grease gun, lubes, sealers and glues, safety wire and pliers, 1/2' ratchet, sockets, extentions and torque wrench

I think you could do everything except rebuild a drive with this list.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget the engineers friend. The biggest role of duct tape that money can buy

3pointstar
Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

6 pack and a Cuban El Presidente......cuz you never know when youll need a LONG tow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.