Notices

World champions?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Here we go lol logo is just that.... A logo....

As far as winning races the cigs of Don era were the winners... After Don they were not focused on racing lije earlier years....if Don wasn't killed I bet things would have been different... But history is what it is.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 11-03-2015, 09:49 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Exactly.

I ran into Busch Sr bunch of years ago (after he was pres) up in Montreal (guys week-end) and he came walking down the stairs ( from the Hotel we where staying at) while we where all hanging on the railing face down hung over. He picks up our heads by saying 'heh fellas' in his unmistakeable voice. We all groaned out "Heh George." He laughed. Might have been laughing at us, but he laughed.

Would you still call him President Busch when face to face ?

LOL.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
.if Don wasn't killed I bet things would have been different... But history is what it is.
Yep,,he would most likely have sold the Cigarette boat company, and started a new brand across the street to compete with Cigarette,
Old 11-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Here we go lol logo is just that.... A logo....

As far as winning races the cigs of Don era were the winners... After Don they were not focused on racing lije earlier years....if Don wasn't killed I bet things would have been different... But history is what it is.
You do realize that Don didn't even own Cigarette by the time he died right? He had sold it years before so his death and the racing heritage of Cigarette would have no connection unless he was going to reacquire the brand and start racing again but he was a month short of being 60 years old so I don't think racing was on his mind.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
Yep,,he would most likely have sold the Cigarette boat company, and started a new brand across the street to compete with Cigarette,
Which is exactly what he did.......

From Cigarette's current webpage:

By early 1982, the Cigarette logo had become a registered trademark; Aronow bought our Halter Marine's remaining shares and then in a surprise move, sold the company to Jerry Jacoby. The sales agreement had a strict non-compete clause that Aronow could not build any V-bottom boat until 1987.

In 1984 Jeffrey Friedman bought the company and in 1985, the new 24' Cigarette "Firefox" was introduced at the Miami Boat Show--a single-engine, sit down speedster.

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 11-04-2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Cig,s still are the champ,s of the type racing ( straight out into the big blue wave ,s out yonder and back ) that was going on then .

The fountain,s are champ,s of the new type racing ( roundy round we go .)
Old 11-04-2015, 05:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

yes again the logo is a logo, the #1 Cig was a Don era...

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
You do realize that Don didn't even own Cigarette by the time he died right? He had sold it years before so his death and the racing heritage of Cigarette would have no connection unless he was going to reacquire the brand and start racing again but he was a month short of being 60 years old so I don't think racing was on his mind.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cd680
Wait let's get back to this district 6 champ thing??? What yr was this at and what class????
Yes, more details needed. Used to invade some of the bigger D6 events way back in late 80's. Some great battles with some real characters but it pales in comparison to today's athletes.

Seems like a bunch of busted up limping old moto guys turn to performance boats for the adrenaline fix.

Good thread idea for winter, this one may have legs.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Back to the op's question, can someone tell us the actual year Cigarette won their last world championship? Not bashing, I love 'em and that's why I'm interested to know the answer. (But too lazy to go searching lol)RR
I dont know the answer to your question but I would guess before 1978, because Reggie started Fountain in 1979,,lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.