Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Orleans Race - Where to Stay? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33217-new-orleans-race-where-stay.html)

Jana 09-18-2002 07:19 AM

New Orleans Race - Where to Stay?

I was just looking at the hotels list on the SBI website and getting sticker shock. Anybody know of where to stay that's not too expensive, but still pretty nice and not an hour away?

sauron 09-18-2002 05:25 PM

In your car or truck. The host motel is 169.00 per night excluding taxes, with that times 7 nights =1183.00 totally outrageous.

PJA 09-18-2002 05:43 PM

Try Some Of The Hotels In The Metairie Area Close To The Lake And Cheaper Than Downtown

chaser 09-18-2002 08:41 PM

The LandMark Hotel in Metaire right behind Copeland's shop right off I-10. And not to far from the race site. It's Al's hotel. I think it's a Best Western listing.

Hauling Trash 09-18-2002 09:35 PM

I`ll be there :)

Bulldog 09-18-2002 11:16 PM

I'm from that area and now live about 30 minutes away. I think the race will be held in/near an area called West End. New Orleans Parish (County) line runs right through West End, and Metarie is on West side of that line.

You can most likely get a room closer to the race with less traffic, etc. in Metairie, than in Downtown New Orleans. There are also some 'back roads' that can save you from getting mired in traffic.

Some of the best seafood restaurants (locals eat there) are in an area called Bucktown, which is adjacent to West End, and you can drive through to/from the hotel.

If you look at a map, there is the 24 mile Causeway bridge that runs South across lake Ponchartrain and becomes Causeway Boulevard in Metairie. West End is only 2 miles or about 10 minutes from the south end of the bridge, along the Lakefront.

About 2 miles due south of the bridge Causeway Boulevard crosses over Interstate 10. In that area is Copelands hotel (was/is called the Landmark hotel) and there is a Ramada Inn on Causeway Boulevard. Also a Holiday Inn directly south of Interstate 10. I'll think about this and post more info if anyone needs some.

Oh yeah, I remember when Systems submarined in the lake (86???) and was later parked in that Holiday Inn parking lot, still dripping.

Bulldog

BAJA WILL 09-19-2002 11:58 AM

I have stayed at the "Edgar Degas" Bed and Breakfast. It is the original house that Degas and his family lived in.

Also the Peach tree I think I stayed ther onece also it was OK. I have been to New Orleans a few times, a couple I didn't even get a hotel. Just lived out of the car, and partied all night, had breakfast and started up again.

WILL:p

X-Rated30 09-19-2002 01:44 PM

The bad news is...

Last time I checked the Landmark, it was pretty high, too. In fact, most of the hotels I know in N.O. are expensive. You might try one of the travel agent type sites on the internet. Also, you might try www.nola.com. Go to the visitor's guide, and look around. If all you are coming for is the race, you would be better off close to it. If you are there to party, and the race is something to watch while nursing your hangover, French Quarter accomodations are a must. Taxis are easy to get in the quarter, and should be about $20.00 to the race.

The good news is...

If all else fails, do not dispair. If you are a hot single female and bewteen the ages of 17 and 29, you are in luck! Hell, I don't really care if you are single, as long as you can keep a secret.:D I have two bedrooms and a sleeper sofa between Bourbon St. and Decatur. If you are a 5 to 7 on a scale of one to ten, you can have the sofa. If you are a seven or eight, the other bedroom is available. If you are a 10, please give me some advance notice, as roofies are getting harder to find these days.:D :D :D

In all seriousness, I was thinking we all need to get together during the race, and I toyed with the idea either a party at my apt., or else designating a bar to gather up in. Anyone interested???

mama tryed 09-21-2002 05:48 AM

:D
YES!!!! Very Intrested!!!!!!
Flood and his"10" ,, and Mama and I {her 10 :p } hope to Arrive on Fri. around Noon!!! I Guess I'll be Dragging my Boat down also,, so Maybe you could show us around the Area!!!!
In the Future,, I want to ask you a few Questions, About the Area , Around the Fairmont Hotel...
Gotta go,,, Mama's Waiting,,, Looks like its gonna be a Great Day on the Water!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dredgeking 09-21-2002 08:55 AM

i'm staying by the quarter. i have my priorities straight. :D