Live Today On Speedonthewater.com! SBI Key West Worlds Round 1

Notices

Live Today On Speedonthewater.com! SBI Key West Worlds Round 1

Old 11-11-2015, 05:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
The new superboat extreme class is a spec class engine 572ci, untouched dart head 9.5:1 single dominator carb engine max rpm 6600. I do not believe they are limited to mph anymore and also it's a V hull class only anymore not mixed like it used to.

Here's the full new rule book. http://superboat.com/wp-content/uplo...nicalRules.pdf

Also Billy was running a real good race but like it's always said you have to finish to win. Hopefully they get the bugs ironed out for Friday.
Thank you for the link for the specs, I like what I see, you are correct, 572 cu.in., 93 octane, single dominator, 6600 rpm, I like it because everyone is on a level playing field, pump gas, stcok parts nothing exotic, makes the engines somewhat affordable, repairable with readily available parts, and the engines based on this spec should be somewhat liveable meaning they should get muiltiple races before needing a rebuild, in theory. I am glad you posted this, apples to apples racing, with no speed limit, just driver skill, set-up, and pre-race preparation for durability.

I like this class and the 750 Cat class, as well as Superstock, I like apples to apples racing, without speed limits. I realize the rpm limits the top speed, but that also helps keep cost down and helps reduce race attrition. I liked today's racing, the link to watch the races was great, I alway enjoy watching boats race. And now I know the specs, I will enjoy it even more. Instigator and Amsoil, two of the best won today.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Thank you for the link for the specs, I like what I see, you are correct, 572 cu.in., 93 octane, single dominator, 6600 rpm, I like it because everyone is on a level playing field, pump gas, stcok parts nothing exotic, makes the engines somewhat affordable, repairable with readily available parts, and the engines based on this spec should be somewhat liveable meaning they should get muiltiple races before needing a rebuild, in theory. I am glad you posted this, apples to apples racing, with no speed limit, just driver skill, set-up, and pre-race preparation for durability.

I like this class and the 750 Cat class, as well as Superstock, I like apples to apples racing, without speed limits. I realize the rpm limits the top speed, but that also helps keep cost down and helps reduce race attrition. I liked today's racing, the link to watch the races was great, I alway enjoy watching boats race. And now I know the specs, I will enjoy it even more. Instigator and Amsoil, two of the best won today.

I agree with you also. I am not a big fan of a sealed engine type class (how OPA SVL is) strictly in the fact that merc is your rebuilder period. I see how the racers like it as they know it's gonna be a level field for the most part as there are always rule benders. I like a class where they say here are the engine parameters you can use to have whoever you want build your engine. This poses more tech enforcement and more money for that however it lets you maybe do something different then someone with your build, and as we can see in superboat and superboat extreme you still have parity. I would like to see some of the old A-B-C-D class style racing of old come back where they say the boat has to weigh X with X CI and Compression and X size carb or head and let them race. It's been hashed out many times here and everywhere else and it probably won't happen but it's nice to bench race about it. There will always have some guys who break the rules. However I feel that most of the OPA 4-5-6 boats could all be competitive and there would be close racing if there was a spec style engine. Maybe not all but most. And that includes racing on similar style race courses that they do today (the shorter variety)

Sorry for the rant.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
I agree with you also. I am not a big fan of a sealed engine type class (how OPA SVL is) strictly in the fact that merc is your rebuilder period. I see how the racers like it as they know it's gonna be a level field for the most part as there are always rule benders. I like a class where they say here are the engine parameters you can use to have whoever you want build your engine. This poses more tech enforcement and more money for that however it lets you maybe do something different then someone with your build, and as we can see in superboat and superboat extreme you still have parity. I would like to see some of the old A-B-C-D class style racing of old come back where they say the boat has to weigh X with X CI and Compression and X size carb or head and let them race. It's been hashed out many times here and everywhere else and it probably won't happen but it's nice to bench race about it. There will always have some guys who break the rules. However I feel that most of the OPA 4-5-6 boats could all be competitive and there would be close racing if there was a spec style engine. Maybe not all but most. And that includes racing on similar style race courses that they do today (the shorter variety)

Sorry for the rant.
I agree with you completely, I liked the A, B, C, and D classes, and prior to all of that in the 1970's with the Production, Sport, and Open classes. I used to follow the 27'-35' B and C boats and the Apache's and Cig's in D class. I should be interesting Friday, especially if the wind blows and waves get bigger, especially in the 750 cat class, should be intertesting, thanks to this live stream, I will be watching...

I like the way you think...