Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Miss Geico Racing 2015 performance - discuss >

Miss Geico Racing 2015 performance - discuss

Notices

Miss Geico Racing 2015 performance - discuss

Old 11-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't get why anyone would hate on the Geico team. These guys 'bring it' every race and have done so in good times and bad.

One of the most friendly approachable race teams on the circuit.

These guys will be back!
Old 11-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Haters usually hate due to jealousy. Keep it up Geico.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geico is a great rough water team, but did not have the same top end as CMS in calmer conditions. Nobody else does either by the way. The 48' and 52' MTI's are wicked fast. Clearly Miss Geico chased power to close that gap and their engine program failed. (No, they were not running stock Mercury power, unlike CMS.) In the last twenty years, no engine builder except Sterling has been able to match Mercury in any class in which that manufacturer has competed. And a lot of good ones have tried. Personally, if I had an Unlimited team I'd run 1650's, pure and simple, mainly because it would give me the best chance of completing more than the occasional lap or two while running at the front. Given Mercury's experience and success, it seems like a fool's errand to use any other engine builder in this class. But what do I know.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

When did Geico give up reresenting Merc with the 1650 deal they had in place?
Old 11-23-2015, 06:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
Don't get why anyone would hate on the Geico team. These guys 'bring it' every race and have done so in good times and bad.

One of the most friendly approachable race teams on the circuit.

These guys will be back!
Exactly!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike. I think Harold Grady. From old victory team days was "tuning" those merc motors....probably touchy situation
Old 11-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tony, I don't know Harold and I'm friends with the Geico guys so this not something I've not said to some of them, but I don't care who the outside engine guru is, he is going to be at a huge disadvantage against Mercury, most especially in terms of reliability. I have no doubt that builders can take the 1650 and make more power. Mercury could too I'm sure. But again, the only one who consistently competed against Mercury with any success was Sterling. I'm just saying, as an owner and former racer, I loved the boat ride and the miles/fun factor ain't there if you're running a couple laps and breaking all the time while spending a fortune doing so. Frankly, it is the one thing that led us to introduce the spec engine model into the sport nearly 20 years ago. Just look at the 750 class. It still runs the basic design we came up with in 1999. Proof is in the pudding.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Why does everybody get their panties in a bunch when somebody doesn't have something positive to say about a race team??? Powerboat racing is a sport and just like every other sport you have fans of one team who do not want to see another team win. I'm sure that if the New England Patriots went out and lost 5 in a row there would be a lot worse stuff being said about them as a team, and some players individually than there is on here about Geico.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Why does everybody get their panties in a bunch when somebody doesn't have something positive to say about a race team??? Powerboat racing is a sport and just like every other sport you have fans of one team who do not want to see another team win. I'm sure that if the New England Patriots went out and lost 5 in a row there would be a lot worse stuff being said about them as a team, and some players individually than there is on here about Geico.
Amen- good point, this isn't a Poker Run!! Lol... All in good competition and fun!! Which makes it a sport!! Not a recreational event!! Everyone has their opinion on sports teams. Well the Geico team is a sports team.

For the record I hope they get back to it. Can't be on top forever. I mean JImmie Johnson won 5 in a row. Not everyone ever
Old 11-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly, if you state a fact about a losing team you are a hater. Miss Geico, for years, bragged about whooping everyone's you know what, when in reality they had no competition. It is easy to be world champion when there are no other boats in your class (turbine). Granted, it was not their fault that no one ran in their class, but how you handle certain things ,sometimes rubs some people the wrong way. A big announcement was made in 2013, that Miss Geico had a deal with Mercury to be the first to run their "new" 1650 engines. As history shows, they have had limited success with these engines. Last year, I read a story where one of Miss Geico's principles stated that they were the only team to run most of the races during the season and the other teams "saved" their equipment for Key West. This from a man that I personally heard several years ago, at the OPA World finals in Orange Beach, tell an official that they were not going to run Friday, so they could save their equipment for Key West. A post was written that MGR's boat was becoming old and obsolete. A good thing "Cat Can Do" 's owner doesn't feel that way about his boat. Congrats on your wins. Another post was written about if you don't run Mercury power, don't expect to win, again tell that to "Cat Can Do" with their Sterling power. Bottom line, be humble in your success, and have praise for your competition when you loss, and maybe, you can gain more people's respect and eliminate the so called "haters".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.