Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Recomendations to Remove Bottom Paint >

Recomendations to Remove Bottom Paint

Notices

Recomendations to Remove Bottom Paint

Old 09-20-2002, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last two boats came with bottom paint. On the first one, I used a pressure washer with a sand attachment, it wasn't too hard and came out pretty good I think. You have to be careful on convex areas not to go too hard and get thru the gel, I did in a couple spots, but nothing drastic.

The second boat, I took to a place that does bead blasting for corvettes and things. They damn near ruined my hull. There are spots on it that look like it was shot with #8 birdshot. Do not go that route. I did it because they told me it would be much smoother than the sand blast I did on the first boat. BS! The first boat is much smoother. I am having to sand the second boat to smoothe it out, and neet to get the shot holes fixed.

I tried oven cleaner on both. It disolved the paint on the first boat, but still would be a job to wipe it all off. On the second boat (which I believe had much better paint) it didn't even faze the paint. It just cleaned the paint a little.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also I have used brake fluid, the cheap one you can buy a autozone.I used it on other things but not boat bottoms but you put it on and the paint and in 15 20 minutes depends on the paint you can scrub it off...I just wonder about brake fluid or oven cleaner if it would take off the gel coat, maybe the worst is you have to pay someone to lay on their back and polish with a buffer the bottom
Old 05-07-2017, 09:54 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Any fiberglass paint remover works great with a 9" Roller and & chip brushes. Roll only one direction, let eat till blistering, scrap off heavy gunk. Repeat steps but second time pressure wash.