Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Speed limits in tidal waters. This mean you NJ (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33286-speed-limits-tidal-waters-mean-you-nj.html)

bajadude 09-19-2002 06:44 AM

This is scary ****. There's been plenty of "discussion" up here about putting speed limits on Winni. Problem is that we have no association lobbying for us. I've thought about trying to start one up here, boat owners and dealers, but haven't done anything with it. Maybe I should.

C_Spray 09-19-2002 07:27 AM

You're all missing the obvious solution...

Let the law pass, but get puder to type it up. Guaranteed to be unenforceable...

I agree, the concept sucks. It will be hard to raise good, logical arguments that there should not be speed limits on the water, and the way "we" go about fighting this one will set a precedent for how we battle more of this in the future.

Phknlawyer, Pat Patel - Where are you guys?

Dean Ferry 09-19-2002 08:23 AM

I wish you guys the best of luck, I think you guys need to get involved ASAP, and possibly retain an attorney to come up with a legal/safety/enviromental justifcation on WHY they shouldn't impose speed limits. I'm afraid it's going to be a tough battle. And I hope your are not battling any ECO-RADICAL groups, because they are well-funded, organized, and have the sympathy of the general uniformed public.
Good luck,
MD:D

cougarman 09-19-2002 08:54 AM

Tidal Water's ???????????

What is ( Tidal Water's ) ?????

You asked if this is happening in any other
states in Tidal Waters other than ( No Wake )
zones.

We boat on the Great Lakes ( Fresh Water )
here in Michigan. We have way to many no
wake Zones. But I never heard of Tidal Water's.

If you could explain that would be great.

Cougarman

rainmn 09-19-2002 09:02 AM

Tidal Waters = body of water where the level changes with the tides. It's how they distinguish the lakes from the rest of the water in the state.

puder 09-19-2002 10:26 AM

so they want to put a speed limit on the ocean as well as the inland waterways?

Iggy 09-19-2002 10:34 AM

No, not on the ocean, only on inland waterways (no lakes) like the ICW, bays, harbors, rivers, coves, etc.
Places like Barnegat Bay are affected by the ocean tides, even if it only changes 6" it's considered "tidal waters".
The Hudson River may be mostly fresh water but it's eastern end is in New York Harbor and that level changes with the tide. The East River, I know it goes to Long Island Sound, but that is really affected by tide changes.
They could impose speed limits anywhere.

Mark in So. MD 09-19-2002 10:42 AM

And let me guess HALF the Delaware Bay too. These people are freaking idiots.

Thankfully a lot of fishing boats and crusiers go over 30mph so we would have them on our side.

cougarman 09-19-2002 10:45 AM

Tide's ????

This may sound Stupid, so forgive me.
But would that limit the whole ocean
then?

I obviously don't know much about
tides. But that would seem pretty severe.

Cougarman

Ron P 09-19-2002 11:01 AM

Tidal waters start at the inlet from the ocean and move inside. These are salt waterways that dump and feed from the ocean. IE not lakes and rivers. The ocean is not under any state jurisdiction.

My fear is that when people want to run fast they will be forced into the ocean which is not as forgiving as the bay.

This was probably brought on by the 3 brothers that were killed in a cat while running in the ocean in their brand new boat. Also another guy was killed in a Pantera while showing off in Raritan bay. Not sure what happened in that one.

The only argument I can see is that boats make less wake the faster they go.