Miami Vice season 2 Scarab changes hands

Notices

Miami Vice season 2 Scarab changes hands

Old 12-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
As one of the guys that Wayne heard say "My desire to get an offshore boat started with Miami Vice," it was seriously extra cool when he stopped by my shop on the way back up to Cheeseland. I stood in the same bolster as Crockett! Thanks again buddy, good luck on the resto, and can't WAIT to see her back to glory.

Wayne charged me five bucks what he get you for

thats funny you say that about Crockett I thought the exact same thing standing there
Attached Thumbnails Miami Vice season 2 Scarab changes hands-2015-10-07_17-48-29_6261883193268.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Wayne charged me five bucks what he get you for

thats funny you say that about Crockett I thought the exact same thing standing there
You got off cheap.
I made Mike take me out for breakfast
Old 12-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a score ! And glass Dave is is part of the restoration, does it get any better! Congrats and keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Please do your best to document the complete restoration progress. This forum contains countless lurkers who are dying to see this happen. Done right, this project is worthy of its own room.

Miami Vice is the unifying force that brought so many to this sport (including me). No reason there shouldn't be a stronger focus on that.
Perhaps the company currently using the Scarab name for small boats might not consider resurrecting the big hulls.
I'll be doing a restoration thread with lots of high res pics and little snippets of history along the way about the nearly discontinued 377 and it's transformation to the KV and the Vice program.
First order of things is to photo document every inch of the boat and measure all the logos for later assembly and placement reference

Last edited by scarab kv; 12-07-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just a thought, maybe call lipship. phil did a lot of driving when filming higher speeds for michael mann back in the day. best of luck. sure will be a smoother ride at boyne.

todd
Old 12-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Were their two boats built for the show and were they exactly the same? Curious about original power was in them.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by baronmarine
just a thought, maybe call lipship. phil did a lot of driving when filming higher speeds for michael mann back in the day. best of luck. sure will be a smoother ride at boyne.

todd
Brian Holmes and I were just discussing Phil's involvement a couple nights ago and my need to speak with him.
We will have the Edition boat at Boyne this year. Had a couple projects going on it at the time that were in limbo pending the star boat deal, so we brought the Mini boat.
Needless to say, we had to stay in the kiddie pool lol
Old 12-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bino
Were their two boats built for the show and were they exactly the same? Curious about original power was in them.
There were two boats from each model year over four seasons.
Two 86's for season 2, two 87's for seasons 3/4 and two 88's for season 5.
The season 2 boats had 400 Cyclones and the remainder had 420s.
Both boats were required to be on location when ever boat scenes were filmed, so the crew named them Stars 1&2 to keep them straight on the radios. Knowing the significance of the numeral 2 on the transom is what sealed the deal on the boat.
If you watch close, you will see significant differences in the sister boats during episodes.
Our boat and Star 1 were the most noticeable.
Due to ours having butterfly hatches, there are rails between the intakes, the color fades on the hatches were opposite, upper cabin doors had different logos and one had dry exhaust verses wet on the other.
Season 3/4 was a little more subtle. The Scarab name moved back and forth on the fairing between episodes.
Colors changed over the seasons.
Season 2 boats had the pastel colors that most of the Edition boats mimic with the Aqua deck and color fades stripes on the deck, arch and hatches that matched the hull stripe.
Season 3/4 went dark with Silver hull and deck. The deck stripes were changed to Black along with a matching stripe between the blower intakes. Color fades was removed from the intakes and arch and spot lights were added.
Season 5 went back to an Aqua deck, an arrow head was added to the tip of the deck stripe, Black stripe added to the arch, the Black stripe between the intakes was removed and the color fades was added back to the intakes again.
In all, there were six screen used boats, one loaner boat from each model year for Don Johnson and 33 edition boats for a total of 42 Vice related boats.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Wayne, do you and Randy know where all the TV show boats are?
Old 12-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab kv
the nearly discontinued 377 and it's transformation to the KV and the Vice program.
What does this mean Wayne?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.