Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   O/T 4x4 vs limited slip rear end (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33305-o-t-4x4-vs-limited-slip-rear-end.html)

boomer 09-19-2002 08:29 AM

O/T 4x4 vs limited slip rear end

My old 88 ford truck died and I need to replace it. I always used the 4x4 selection any time I pulled the boat out, but I was wondering how a limited slip or posi rear end would work instead of the 4 wheel drive. Sort of wish they made a front wheel drive truck. Thanks for the input.

jr 09-19-2002 08:42 AM

Boomer, I have limited slip and 4x4 on my F-150. The last time I had the boat out, the ramp was really slimmy. I had to use 4 wheel just to get the trailer out. My boat weights around 6000 and the trailer another 2000. I will never own another truck with out 4x4 or the limited slip. But it can only do so much.

Jeff

Wally 09-19-2002 08:43 AM

I had limited slip in my crew cab dually 4x4.....unless the ramp was way steep or super slippery i didnt need 4x4 most of the time to yank the Scarab out of the water. I guess it all would depend on how much weight you have on the back tires.....
I persoanlly like having limited slip. never had a problem in the snow around here in IL. The back end may slide out on ya around corners if you go too fast but that was aprt of my fun! :D :D

rws 09-19-2002 08:47 AM

I have always pulled my boats with 4wd. I dont engage but it is there if you need it .One time when the water was low and rear wheels were on slime (Duals) the rear end kicked over off the edge of the ramp ,pulled the lever and drove right out.Without 4wd I would have had to get pulled out.

Rob

Cord 09-19-2002 09:21 AM

I always use 4lo at the ramp. Never have to worry about the truck accidentally sliding on the ramp. Plus the extra mechanical leverage on the parking pawl makes me feel better when I power the boat on. I guess that if you were always carefull to not let the back tires get wet, you could get by without 4wd. I sure wouldn't count on it though.

Iggy 09-19-2002 09:25 AM

I'd go for 4X4 and a posi rear. Without it you're only driving one wheel at opposite corners (right rear, left front). If you don't go posi, look into an ARB Air Locker differential or something similar.
My F-250 is 4X4 but I only use it on real steep ramps. All the others in my area are fine without it and I'm pulling just over 4k lbs, add 5.5k lbs. for the truck.

Watched a guy pull a single jet-ski out with a front drive car, smoked the front tires all the way out and it wasn't steep or slippery. :D
LMFAO:D :D

Turbojack 09-19-2002 09:31 AM

On the GM 2001 & newer HD trucks use a locker rear end. When 1 tire starts sliping ( I think spinning at 100 rpm) the locker kicks in & both tires then drive. I was at a GM display & they had a ford, dodge & chev. The ford & dodge had to go to 4wd before they could get off ram. The chev went until the one rear tire lifted off the ground, the locker kicked in & truck then drove off the ramp.

I have 4wd & do not remember ever having to use on ramp. When one tire starts slipping the locker kicks in & I pull out.

DonMan 09-19-2002 09:41 AM

I have two trucks, both 4x4, both have limited slip. My `02 Ford weighs 6700 and has the Powerstroke and stock all-terrain tires. I always have to engage 4WD to pull my 4000# boat up ramp without spinning. Tried without 4WD, always spins.
My Chevy Z71 weighs 5700 lbs and has a 454 and big 35" mud tires. I have yet needed to engage 4WD to pull same 4000# boat up ramp without spinning. I have however always needed to stop for fuel way before the Ford was empty!

GotTheFever 09-19-2002 12:47 PM

Go for the 4X4 with posi. You can never have too much of a good thing. I had spinning problems on some ramps with my 2-wheel drive Dooley (posi track), but never any problems with my 4X4 Dooley. The boat/trailer combo is around 10,000 lbs. I’ve heard of people pulling the four wheel drive fuse allowing them to take advantage of 4 low, without actually being in 4 wheel drive but have never tried this myself. Also, 2 wheel drive trucks are awful in the snow. The heavy front/light back combination with 2-wheel drive is about as bad as you can get. Just my 2 cents worth.

ernie davis 09-19-2002 12:51 PM

The reply's posted are pretty much on target.
Posi (limited slip) is all you normally would need, but when the
ramps are wet......haveing that extra set of wheels on the
dry part are sure handy (necessary).

Even with posi........most trucks are still 4X3's (open diff. in front).
Unless you use a Dana Hydra-Lok in the front (shameless plug).

Uncle Ernie
Dana Application Eng. :cool:
Currently Ranger/Explorer Front Axles
Previously Ford Super Duty Rear Axles