Notices

Salt water strikes again!

Old 12-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Salt water strikes again!

I have a cheap trash pump that I got a deal on and have used way more than I thought I ever would. Trash pumps are gas powered, high volume water/slurry pumps that have steel impellers and metal pump housings. So while this has been fresh water, sometimes nasty swamp green fresh water it has never let me down until yesterday. We had unusually heavy rain and a friend called saying his driveway flooded. I got there in the dark and it was 8-10 inches deep.....he wasn't bs'ing me! Set the pump on a plastic bin and fire it up. One pull and it is running, pumping 175 gallons a minute. I see steam and can see it is leaking somewhere but due to darkness I can't see where/why.

I just took it apart and the metal pump housing has pitted badly, a couple pin holes have developed. The last time I used it was about 2 months ago and we were pumping salt water from a canal. Used it 4-5 times that week and then put it back on the shelf (no flushing). Salt water sat in the pump body and now we have leaks.......

I will try to fix it but the "pot metal" the pump housing is made out of probably isn't going to be great to work with.

http://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Hond...FQokHwodAbEPnA

This is very close to what I have.......but I paid $180 for mine about 5 years ago!
Old 12-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

sand blast and JB Weld
Old 12-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I think you'll find that most pump manufacturers offer rebuild kits to address your very situation. And just so you feel better, you will not be the first one on the planet to have trashed a trash pump. Ask me how I know that.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I heard that you can boat in salt water. Is that true?
Old 12-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, with outboards.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

Even outboards will deteriorate before your eyes.

Your safest bet in Saltwater is a Sailing Senter Council.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:19 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That just can't be true.... There was a thread a little while ago where guys on here were stating that salt water was better then fresh water??????? Were they wrong??????
Old 12-13-2015, 04:01 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
That just can't be true.... There was a thread a little while ago where guys on here were stating that salt water was better then fresh water??????? Were they wrong??????
Saltwater is better than freshwater. Boats are faster in it!
Old 12-13-2015, 07:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
If it was on the internet, it must be true.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:46 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I have a cheap trash pump that I got a deal on and have used way more than I thought I ever would. Trash pumps are gas powered, high volume water/slurry pumps that have steel impellers and metal pump housings. So while this has been fresh water, sometimes nasty swamp green fresh water it has never let me down until yesterday. We had unusually heavy rain and a friend called saying his driveway flooded. I got there in the dark and it was 8-10 inches deep.....he wasn't bs'ing me! Set the pump on a plastic bin and fire it up. One pull and it is running, pumping 175 gallons a minute. I see steam and can see it is leaking somewhere but due to darkness I can't see where/why.

I just took it apart and the metal pump housing has pitted badly, a couple pin holes have developed. The last time I used it was about 2 months ago and we were pumping salt water from a canal. Used it 4-5 times that week and then put it back on the shelf (no flushing). Salt water sat in the pump body and now we have leaks.......

I will try to fix it but the "pot metal" the pump housing is made out of probably isn't going to be great to work with.

http://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Hond...FQokHwodAbEPnA

This is very close to what I have.......but I paid $180 for mine about 5 years ago!
I had one do that, no telling what had been in it. Epoxy took care of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.