Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Metro Beach Fall Show - report (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33346-metro-beach-fall-show-report.html)

dockrocker 09-19-2002 04:12 PM

Metro Beach Fall Show - report

OK, Mrs. DR, Grandpa DR, Grandma DR, and Baby DR all made the trip to the fall Metro Beach show today. It was HOT and HUMID - miserable weather to be walking the docks, but there was some nice "cool" hardware there....

National Marine has a number of nice Fountains, a couple Cigs including a 30 Mystique (first time I've ever seen that boat) and a 46 Rough Rider with Torque V-12's (seems like they bring this boat to every Metro Beach show... :confused: ). They also had an Outer Limits, but it was behind their tent and I didnt' see it till we were leaving in the truck :( . As always, National Marine was a nice place to visit....

Brennan Marine (aka Skipper Bud's) had a 38 and 34 Powerquest, as well as the 320 and 280 Suncruisers.

McMachen had a 382 Formula with a race fairing and what is possibly the ugliest graphics I've ever seen on a Formula, but then again, I'm not partial to seeing FORMULA in 3 foot letters down the side of the hull. To each their own.... They also had a 312 and a 330 SS and 370 SS.

Black Thunder had a 43' or 46', not sure which, 4 bolsters plus a bench. Hell of a boat, for sure...

There was a Ocean Express cat, 48', with twin 800's - this boat has been for sale for years. I've seen it at numerous shows and in Powerboat.

Sunsation had a number of boats, the 32' Innovator, a 32' Dominator, a 288 Midcabin, and a 288 Intimidator. My wife and I got to visit with Dave Hare (SunsationDave on OSO), the COO of Sunsation boats. Dave was very accomodating and gave us a nice bit of history on the Innovator (a boat that must be seen to be believed - trick does not even come close to describing it!) and let us crawl around the Dominator and the 288 Midcabin. Mrs. DR has moved the 288 Mid to the top of the very short list after looking at it at the show. Dave, you guys have a hell of a product - keep up the good work. For you Michigan guys, Sunsation is now being sold on the east side of the state through Metro Boat Sales in Harrison Twp. Thanks to Dave for taking the time to speak with us, even though we're definitely "just looking" right now.

There were a few brokered boats, including several Powerquests and a Formula or two. Also, it looked to me like Awesome cats are being sold through Water's Edge; at least, they had one that looked new. I didn't talk to the sales guy (heard enough bad things about Water's Edge that I wouldn't buy anything from them), so I don't know for sure what the deal is there.

Finally, there is a lot of eye candy, including a HUGE 63' Pershing that is all silver and black - it looks like something out of a James Bond film - if you need attention, this is the boat for you. Special mention to my "lotto" boat, a 44' Sunseeker Camarque; if my numbers come up, I will have one of those bad boys.

All in all, a good show, lots to see and well worth the $8 bucks to get in (admission is $9 for adults, but you can print a $1 discount coupon at www.boatshowusa.net).

DR, out....

SteveO 09-19-2002 05:56 PM

Thanks for the report Dockrocker. I have been eyeballing the Sunsation 288 mid cabin myself and would like to get the the other 1/2 (the one with the $'s down there) :p Looking for that family mover with a performance edge you know. We were thinking of going Saturday late afternoon. Does anyone know how late the show goes and through what day? Thanks

Lime Disease 09-19-2002 06:10 PM

Boat Show is Noon to 8PM Wed.-Sat.
Sun. Noon-6PM the last day.
Been a $2 off coupon in the Macomb Daily everyday.

hoodlum 09-19-2002 07:49 PM

Waters Edge had A couple of small Awesome cats two years ago. We were there thinking about the (new at the time)2000 Intimidator. I have never heard rumors about the place, but after spending a couple of hours there that day I can understand where they're coming from.

dockrocker 09-19-2002 08:00 PM

hoodlum, there is a guy on this board that has first hand knowledge of Water's Edge - he bought a used or brokered boat from them. I won't speak for him, but if he reads this post, he might respond (he's detailed his experiences with them on OSO before...)