Skater Building First Verado Outboard-Powered 368 Catamaran >

Skater Building First Verado Outboard-Powered 368 Catamaran

Notices

Skater Building First Verado Outboard-Powered 368 Catamaran

Old 01-13-2016, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

with the 318 at 5,500 hitting 114 so far
I agree peter will get this to do good if he can end up in the same weight window
to compensate the less air lift from lower speeds with the twins o/bs
also agree the 30+ o/b cats have risen in last yr of lots of new builds for the 400 motor
as stated very happy builds are happening for this motor cats and ccs
Old 01-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
I disagree that the larger outboard cat is not loosing appeal. I think there is a bunch of guys out there like me that cannot quite afford the big I/o package. I like doing all the work myself and boat in salt water. Cleaning an the IO package, service etc is a lot more $$$ and work. Not to mention the insurance. If they can get these boats to run in the teens, accelerate good and have a 5yr warranty on pump gas not a bad deal.
Seems like there are quite a few new o/b cats coming with the 34' MTI. The Skater will be 34' also from what I was told, Doug Wright has new pleasure boat being rigged currently. Smart Marine building new model also.
Steve's 31 weighed 5500lbs. The bigger boat does not necessarily mean it will go slower. The 28' Skater was faster than the 24 power for power. If Pete puts his mind to it you never know!
Totally true about bigger not always being slower. The notch shall be interesting with actual running surface and then weight is weight. I know the 368 and 388 are about the same speed as the 308 IO both having 700s
Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Just me or will the 400's be short lived at near WOT to meet the hulls "needs"? Large tunnels seem to be happy at 90+. Even that will likely be 85-90% power. Anxious to see how it goes.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:35 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, Was just out at Skater and saw this hull in the mold. Think it has about a 12 inch notch in the bottom. The boat has a 11 foot beam I believe and a 64 inch tunnel. It is being built with weight in mind. Gonna be cut down a bit and also the windshield will be cut down too I believe. They are taking weight out where ever they can. Hope it will weigh what my boat does. Mine was 5500lbs with approx 50 gallons of fuel. My rig ran 114mph as it stands now. It took a lot of positive trim to run at the high end. I think at some point maybe next summer I will put 10 inches of setback in it. Its not an exact science but I feel I could get another 3 or 4 mph out of her for that. My point is that the notch in the bottom of about 12 inches would do the same for this rig. My motors are mounted on 3 inch jackplates right to the hull. Boat handles great but a few people feel the set back will help. You can also do the lowers which Ive heard thru someone who has done this has gained 3 to 4 mph with the 400Rs/Sportmaster lowers. It is 10 inches wider than my rig and the size of the tunnel from what Ive read here is a concern on whether it will pack air efficiently at speed. Tunnel is 64 vs my 61.5 inches. Time will tell. I have to believe it will run over 100mph easy. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get over 110mph. Who knows about top end but 120mph is a reach as it was with my boat. Either way it will be such an awesome ride when its done. Cant wait to see it. My rig runs so nice with the 400s. Think I could see close to 120mph when done ya never know. Outboards are so easy and dependable. I wish the owner of this rig all the best and congrats on his new ride. So cool. Steve.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

well with all the speculation going on about proper hp to push this build..it's nice to know everyone thinks a 100mph skater is a Dog - LOL

Having a Skater that runs efficiently on twin 4"s @ +/- 100mph has to be a lot more enjoyable than having a 28' that will blister 122mph but keeps puking parts......and this build will EAT rough water with a crew on board.

I read this as this is a purpose build with a balance of compromises (speed with twins) and engineering mods in order to up the possibilities to get their desired results. The 368 hull/running surface spawned the 388 and we know how well that worked out for Peter. Let him work his magic here...
Old 01-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If pete viewed message boards he would be having a chuckle this morning reading this thread
Old 01-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
well with all the speculation going on about proper hp to push this build..it's nice to know everyone thinks a 100mph skater is a Dog - LOL

Having a Skater that runs efficiently on twin 4"s @ +/- 100mph has to be a lot more enjoyable than having a 28' that will blister 122mph but keeps puking parts......and this build will EAT rough water with a crew on board.

I read this as this is a purpose build with a balance of compromises (speed with twins) and engineering mods in order to up the possibilities to get their desired results. The 368 hull/running surface spawned the 388 and we know how well that worked out for Peter. Let him work his magic here...
After taking a ride in "Skates" 30 Skater, I agree that the 30 is a MUCH smoother and enjoyable ride though definitely not as fast. I guess it is just down to what one is looking for.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speicher lane

Wait a minute...no one told me about the puking parts thingy

Last edited by Flightplan; 01-14-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flightplan
Wait a minute...know one told me about the puking parts thingy
It is something that you have to experience first hand to really appreciate it!
Old 01-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Taboma
After taking a ride in "Skates" 30 Skater, I agree that the 30 is a MUCH smoother and enjoyable ride though definitely not as fast. I guess it is just down to what one is looking for.
Are saying I'm slow??

Great project. I love all this R and D before I decide to pull the trigger on the 400 R. You lose 8-10 MPH on top end 28-308 from my experience with the same power. What you gain in rough water handling and comfort is significant. Well worth the top end trade off in my application. With a 20% larger foot print from a 308 to the 34 OB it will be very interesting to see what gains if any will be found in this new build. It should be a wave crusher for sure.

These OB Skaters are a blast to drive while being relatively economical and reliable. Hopefully the 400R will prove out to be reliable on cats and we will see a resurgence in the OB cat production.

Even if the top end speeds do not exceed the 110 mark it will be a great ride which should handle fuel people and gear.

Pete built his business on Outboard boats and has a love for their simplicity.

Good luck on the build..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.