Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: street racing show on MTV (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33374-ot-street-racing-show-mtv.html)

26scarab 09-20-2002 08:00 AM

OT: street racing show on MTV

I was channel surfing last night and ran across a documentary about street racing in LA.
It just cracks me up about how movies like "the fast and furious" , and some of these new video games glamarize street racing like it's something new.
I was involved in street racing 13 years ago , even trailered the car to different cities for races. No one glamarized it then ,well except the media on how bad it was.
In that whole show last night I did not see one bad ass muscle car just these rice burner things. Maybe I'm just too old to get into the "new style" of street racing. I can respect that some of those rice burners actually run pretty good but it still doesn't get me going.
Back then we used to go into downtown Detroit and there was some serious hardware. I remember seeing 8 and 9 second cars race . There is nothing like seeing a 68 Camaro leaving with the wheels 2 feet in the air on the street!
I guess I'm just not opened to change !:D

Da Patriot 09-20-2002 08:04 AM

I know your pain!

jawbreakerkid 09-20-2002 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:D

traviss 09-20-2002 08:10 AM

the new kids to street racing think rice burners and computer technolgy is the cool thing. I read a artcile i read in HOTROD a few years ago was about the changing cars in street racing, its goes on and tells a story how a rice burnin car challanged a older muscle car to a drag race. Rice burner showed up driving his car and the other guy pulled up with his on a trailer, he said they left the line and by the time the rice burner got to the finish line he already had his car in the trailer :D :D They labeled the article like " muscle cars live another night in detroit"

A professer for my dad's class said the best quote last week.

" Less then 8 cylinders is unacceptable" :D :D :D :D

baja27 09-20-2002 08:13 AM

We used to street race here in Philly on Saturday & Sunday nights till 3:00am talk about a rush. We had a lot of mean machines running around betting $500 to $1000 a run. Guys would bring cars on rollbacks and trailers. This was about 6 years ago. Cops came down hard now no one races anymore. We have a lot of rice burners that run 12's and 11's that think there bad untill I pull up and rip into them.:)

Advantage_Rob 09-20-2002 08:15 AM

I hear ya chuck, I use to go down there on my bike, and a mustang I had and run it, nothing that needed trailering though.

I cant get into the rice rockets either, however my friend Jonny that sunk his fountian this summer. A few years ago he had a newer RX-7 that he changed over to a rocketship with intake, bigger turbo's, exhaust, chip, cam, and who knows what else, and that thing was really fast and fun, but still it didn't have the feel of a big bad ass american V8 smashing you into the seat! I think those are 1.3 or 1.6 liter twin turbo's, small motor, big turbos'.

Here in detroit they just had a videotape of some street racing where a mustang lost control and killed 26 yeaar old woman. In the video tape just before the race, they zoomed up on two police cars sitting in the parking lot across the street watching the races. The news crew got the tape and aired it, then the police finally caught the guys that were racing, both drivers got charged with murder or manslaughter, the cops lost thier jobs, ect... A real mess.

The guys that were racing, just left the girl there and split, and never came forward until the video tape was on the news, and people came forward and turned them in.

Sad story, but what are these guys doing just thinking they wouldn't get in trouble for killing someone? The cops that witnessed it never came forward, they got f'ed too. They were from a bordering city, and the race was on the city border, the accident was in detroit, the cops were in the lot across the street in thier city.

So what they just leave and pretend it didn't happen so they dont get in trouble...

Still irritated me, mostly about the police watching, people are always gonna race, and when I did, you got the hell out of there fast when the cops came!

Turbojack 09-20-2002 08:20 AM

One of problem with street racing today around here is it is too built up now. Back in the old days when we were out at 2 am if we saw any headlights we knew it was the police. I was out the other night at 3AM & there was so much traffic on the road I did not even try to count the cars/trucks. Around here almost every saturday & sunday morning you see on the news that some one either got killed or was hosipitalized due to someone racing.

Cutwater 09-20-2002 08:21 AM

I use to folow the street racers 25 years ago in Los Angeles. We would meet behind the Bank of America on Van Nuys Blvd. at midnight on saturday nights. Had some pretty trick cars show up. Ithe guy I ran with had a 70' Mach 1, he would win alot of money every week for the 'out of towners' that would come in to show up us 'valley guys'. It was alot of fun.

26scarab 09-20-2002 08:58 AM

Hey Rob,
Both of those cars that were involved in that accident were 8 second cars. A friend told me that the Mustang was spinning the tires the whole quarter mile, the guy just wouldn't lift.

Advantage_Rob 09-20-2002 09:03 AM

Wouldn't you love to have a car like that though!