Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Impellers Sitting For 2 Years - replace? >

Impellers Sitting For 2 Years - replace?

Notices

Impellers Sitting For 2 Years - replace?

Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Impellers Sitting For 2 Years - replace?

Looking at a boat that has been sitting for 2 years. Impellers were replaced before the boat was put up. Okay to run them or should they be replaced?
Old 01-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

depends on your luck,do you feel lucky,if not change them and go boating.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By looking at your location, I would back the boat in the water, leave it on the trailer, start the boat and see. I know guys that have the same impellers in their boat for 10 years. I scratch my head and think, why can't I be so lucky. I have also seen guys put new impellers in their boat every season. I have water pressure gauges for my motors and replace them when I see a drop in pressure. You can look at it as .. if it aint broke don't fix it. Or replace them now and not worry about it. But then it can be said why stop at the impellers? What about springs, rings... etc. Where do you stop?
Old 01-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you gamble there is a slight chance they they could be brittle. Then you start the engine and parts of it break off and get lodged in always an orfice that is too small and hard to reach. Those always are expensive. Look at it this way the modest price to replace before you start can sure offer a huge piece of mind

3 pointstar
Old 01-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

3 pointstar brings up a good point. So let me add that anytime you replace an impeller you should back flush your system. Even if all the impeller parts are there, other stuff can and does get caught in the coolers. I flush them by filling up the system with water, and with the hose off the sea pump, I use a special fitting I made, and blow about 80psi air through the system, forcing the water and air out. I do this a couple of times.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Un
Originally Posted by Bawana
3 pointstar brings up a good point. So let me add that anytime you replace an impeller you should back flush your system. Even if all the impeller parts are there, other stuff can and does get caught in the coolers. I flush them by filling up the system with water, and with the hose off the sea pump, I use a special fitting I made, and blow about 80psi air through the system, forcing the water and air out. I do this a couple of times.
That sounds like a good idea, where are you hooking the air up to?
Old 01-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Un

That sounds like a good idea, where are you hooking the air up to?
At the end that connects to your cross over/thermostat housing. But make sure the other end (connecting to the sea pump) is disconnected. And by putting water in the system at the end that connects to the cross over/thermostat, with the air will unplug the honeycombs in the coolers. I made a 1.25 fitting with a on/off valve with an air chuck fitting that I just hose clamp into the end.

Last edited by Bawana; 01-24-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I must add that throughout the years of using my flushing tool/method, the junk& crud that comes out is unbelievable . I have had people come to me with issues that when they ran hard for any extended time, that their motor temps would start to climb a little. Well 99% of the time it was because of blockage in the system/coolers.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:39 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Change them, it's cheap insurance. I'd rather be boating than f'ing around getting a tow back and screwing with the back flushing hassle.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Cheaper to replace the rubber impeller, rather do that then scower the housing and have to replace the pump housing. Simple to do, one last maitinance item and you have a baseline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.