Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Special Severe Weather Alert - Gulf Coast! >

Special Severe Weather Alert - Gulf Coast!

Notices

Special Severe Weather Alert - Gulf Coast!

Old 09-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Special Severe Weather Alert - Gulf Coast!

FYI

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL 400 PM EDT FRI SEP 20 2002

SEAS AND SURF: SOUTHEASTERLY SWELLS EMANATING FROM HURRICANE ISIDORE...WHICH IS FORECAST TO MOVE SLOWLY THROUGH THE SOUTHERN GULF OF MEXICO...WILL CONTINUE TO BUILD THE SEAS ALONG THE SUNCOAST. OVERNIGHT...SEAS WILL BUILD TO 4 FEET NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 8 FEET BEYOND 30 NM.

AS ISIDORE INTENSIFIES...SWELLS WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY. CURRENT FORECAST DATA SUGGEST SEAS WILL RANGE FROM 6 TO 12 FEET SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY...WITH THE HIGHEST VALUES CLOSE TO THE EDGE OF THE COASTAL WATERS...OR AROUND 60 NM OFFSHORE.

THE HIGH SEAS WILL ALSO BRING ABOVE NORMAL TIDES AND LONG PERIOD WAVES TO MUCH OF THE SUNCOAST THIS WEEKEND.

TIDES WILL BE 1 FOOT ABOVE NORMAL SATURDAY...BUT INCREASE TO 2 FEET ABOVE NORMAL...ESPECIALLY AT SOUTH FACING LOCATIONS...SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY. THIS WILL CREATE RUN UP OF WATER ALONG THE COAST...AS WELL AS OVERWASH...AT TIME OF HIGH TIDE SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY.

BREAKING WAVES WILL BUILD TO AT LEAST 2 TO 4 FEET ALONG THE BARRIER ISLAND BEACHES SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY.

THESE VALUES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE PENDING ANY CHANGE IN TRACK OR INTENSITY OF ISIDORE.

MARINERS...ESPECIALLY SMALL CRAFT OPERATORS...MAY WANT TO POSTPONE TRIPS THIS WEEKEND AND INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK UNTIL CONDITIONS IMPROVE. BEACHGOERS SHOULD BE EXTRA CAREFUL NEAR THE WATER THIS WEEKEND...AND HEED ALL WARNINGS FROM LIFEGUARDS....
Old 09-20-2002, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was goin to put in at Park Blvd. Sat. but now maybe I will bring it home and run the engines for 15 min. like to keep things lubed and greased.This was my second week without putin in.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:18 PM
Banned

It figgures! We were going to stay on the boat all weekend, celebrating my birthday this weekend. Guess that's all out the window. We checked with your marina for a slip this weekend, but they were booked.

I was in Jacksonville all week and just got home this evening. Coming across the Howard Franklin this evening it was a hell of a storm. I was doing 20 mph and was still nervous. (had a truckload of tile onboard).

We are hoping the weather changes for the good in the morning, we have been looking forward to the overnight stay at least once this summer.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:26 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I could do my special two week extended forcast but I fear that this is going to be a real snorting huricane. I couldn't do that to you guys...ah heck, why not!