Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wilson Blueprints Mercury Verado 400R Outboards For Grant’s Signature Racing >

Wilson Blueprints Mercury Verado 400R Outboards For Grant’s Signature Racing

Notices

Wilson Blueprints Mercury Verado 400R Outboards For Grant’s Signature Racing

Old 01-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

This is much different than changing wheels and tires out on a vehicle, or even changing props on a boat. Auto manufacturers deny plenty of warranty claims due to simple "upgrades" like programmers or suspension kits. I know Wilson's process works and have witnessed it first-hand, but they have modified a very crucial piece of the engine that went through extensive testing and was certified by Mercury. How would Mercury know if the modifications didn't do something to disturb the water flow to the intake and cause a powerhead failure? Just like auto manufacturers, I understand why Mercury would void warranty if modifications have been made to something as vital to the operation of the engine as the lower unit, especially after they have confirmed it works perfectly fine from the factory. Should they warranty them once PCM modifications have been made too?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Dave,
No I would not expect them to warranty that. Coming from someone who has had my cases done in the past if anything there is an improvement to waterflow and handling but I hear what you are saying. I am sure there are many M8 blueprinted drives on 1350's. Most of the new boats I see all have them done.
If someone were changing internal parts I 100 percent agree void the warranty.
Guess time will tell. Really depends on MPH gains vs Risk. Story really didn't share that. So maybe not much gain?????? Who knows.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Dave,
No I would not expect them to warranty that. Coming from someone who has had my cases done in the past if anything there is an improvement to waterflow and handling but I hear what you are saying. I am sure there are many M8 blueprinted drives on 1350's. Most of the new boats I see all have them done.
If someone were changing internal parts I 100 percent agree void the warranty.
Guess time will tell. Really depends on MPH gains vs Risk. Story really didn't share that. So maybe not much gain?????? Who knows.
Yeah, no hard numbers or "before and after" data, but this (in Eric Colby's story) from Grant Bruggemann.

"Bruggemann said that because the drives and gearcases were blueprinted and re-installed basically at the same time, he couldn’t provide specific numbers for the work done on the drives alone. He said that he could feel the difference in the boat’s handling and he was confident that the boat picked up speed. It also tells the customer that he’s done everything possible to make the boat reach its maximum performance potential."
Old 01-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
For Mercury to say it would void the warranty when all they did was true up something that was not perfect in casting is BS. Especially if they did not touch the water ramps/intake of the lower unit.
If I had a set and blew a powerhead I would expect them to fix it or I would be headed to court.
I believe it's a federal law that, in order to deny a warranty claim, the manufacturer would have to prove that the modified part directly contributed to the failure. I know this was true for the car manufacturers when people started tuning the diesel trucks and Ford/GM/Dodge all put out blanket statements that it would void the warranty.

That being said, with the right lawyer, you could argue a cause and effect for ANYTHING. i.e. the lower case was modified and didn't provide adequate water flow and allowed engine oil temps too high which caused a bearing and rod failure in the motor...something round about like that...

Edit: just found the law. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

A manufacturer should honor a warrantee after a 3rd party makes changes to their engineering specifications? Come on now...
Old 01-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy to see why a warranty would be void. Cleaner water getting to the prop, putting more stress on the prop shaft, and more load on the motor but will see faster speeds as well, which would put more force on the overall case, that is now thinned.

Watch Mercury use this is their excuse, but it is all true, and engineering judgement could prove it!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 544 Likes on 330 Posts

Wilson's work sure is cool though!

Photo Credit: SpeedOnTheWater, Sharkey Images

Old 01-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

WAY back in the day, we cut the skegs off the sterdrives to gain about 2 MPH. BUT the boats started spinning out in the rough races.

So, we started slimming down the skegs, but leaving them on. How far to slim them down? If they broke off that means you went too far.

Now I have no real knowledge of this, but I will make an educated guess. A...Outerlimits sets a new deep Vee speed record. B...Same boat racing in the mid east, spun out. C.... Did anyone ever get a photo of the sterdrives after the spinout?

At the speeds the boats are racing at today, I would caution against too much exuberance on modifications.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:41 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Regarding the lower units voiding the warranty, not only does Wilson make the lowers symmetrical, they also thin the skeg in addition to thinning the bullet and gearcase, making them weaker.

That being said, our #6 lowers were done by Wilson. I think we had a small decrease in slip and a bit more speed (not much), but the handling was the big improvement. We have broken them twice however..... I would have preferred to just have them symmetrical and settled for just the handling improvement, but as the old saying goes, "Thin to Win!"

Last edited by Coolerman; 01-27-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:50 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
WAY back in the day, we cut the skegs off the sterdrives to gain about 2 MPH. BUT the boats started spinning out in the rough races.

So, we started slimming down the skegs, but leaving them on. How far to slim them down? If they broke off that means you went too far.

Now I have no real knowledge of this, but I will make an educated guess. A...Outerlimits sets a new deep Vee speed record. B...Same boat racing in the mid east, spun out. C.... Did anyone ever get a photo of the sterdrives after the spinout?

At the speeds the boats are racing at today, I would caution against too much exuberance on modifications.
Speed racer was also breaking multiple skegs this year. I'm not dogging on Wilson by any means, they are exceptionally smart and knowledgeable, but it is just the risk you run when going for that last bit.

Last edited by Coolerman; 01-27-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.