496 hydroloc  help. Help help >

496 hydroloc help. Help help

Notices

496 hydroloc help. Help help

Old 03-09-2016, 01:38 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Small amounts of water can be from condensation running down after engine is shut down. Condensation forms on exhaust walls from cool to heating up and from heating and then cooling down. Hence the main reason why Mercruiser incorped the tubulators that are installed between the riser and manifold. Its the damn (persay) to collect water droplets and condensation that forms then burns off when the exhaust system gets hot again. The tubulators are inplace for a reason on the stock apps.

Last edited by BUP; 03-09-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:44 PM
BUP
Banned

The broken flappers stuck in the exhaust passages can be the problem itself with reversion. All Volvo penta engines do not use flappers aka water shutters aka exhaust valves. They even have a service bulletin in 1999 to pull out the flappers in 1998 and back apps because of this reason.

With that said its more of a problem the broken flappers cause than not having them in place to begin with. Pass that on to your Merc tech and that no Volvo penta use them period.

I have seen many Mercruiser V 6 and V8 apps that used the all plastic and rubber flapper that burned / melted away and never have a problem with reversion.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Depends on the application and installation. I had a friends boat with no flappers for 3 months then out of no where one weekend 2 cylinders full of water. Boat had sat in its slip all week. The company across the river was sea trialing a new ferry and making quite the wake. Couple of waves caught under the swim platform and boom there it is. I always reinstall them now, unless the risers have very high extensions.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
The broken flappers stuck in the exhaust passages can be the problem itself with reversion. All Volvo penta engines do not use flappers aka water shutters aka exhaust valves. They even have a service bulletin in 1999 to pull out the flappers in 1998 and back apps because of this reason.

With that said its more of a problem the broken flappers cause than not having them in place to begin with. Pass that on to your Merc tech and that no Volvo penta use them period.

I have seen many Mercruiser V 6 and V8 apps that used the all plastic and rubber flapper that burned / melted away and never have a problem with reversion.
The boat had water pushed back up into the engine thru the transom plate when launching. The shutters, if in place and intact, would have prevented that.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Sure I realize that and recommend shutters for Merc apps But will say again Volvo Penta does not use shutters at all and they have alot 496's running around inwhich do not have problems. Many Volvo apps running around launching and driving their boats just same as boat owners who own Mercruisers. Just saying.

Riser height helps alot whether you have flappers aka Shutters or not.

Last edited by BUP; 03-11-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

The boat was a twin engine Formula 33 S&S they ran it wide open and than an alarm went off. They went down to an idle and turned the motors off. Started right back up idled than alarm went off again turned off and than the motor hydro locked . I think they were slugging along on one motor with everyone in the back looking at the motor and turned off the alarmed one and the attitude of the boat put it in a position to push water up the exhaust.