Notices

The dead I/O market story

Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Seen all the pics and write up on that boat, looks awesome but I didn't realize it was only 149k.
Good news .

RR
Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
And then there is what Ellis has dubbed the “California effect.” It used to be the leading state for sterndrive sales — by a lot. In 2005 10,000 sterndrive boats were sold in California, Ellis says. Last year, the number was 425. That’s a 95.75 percent decline in a decade. (Because all of the data for the year have not come in, Ellis says the count could tick up to 450.)

The effect extends to all of the Western states. In 2005 13,500 sterndrive boats were sold in California, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon and Utah. Last year, residents of those states purchased a combined 750. “If we could get rid of the Western half it wouldn’t look so bad,” Ellis says. “It would still be bad, but it wouldn’t be so bad.”

.......ouch
Whats the reason for the major drop off in these states?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Registered

I spent the day yesterday at the Seattle boatshow and was that an eye opener, nice toon with a 150 merc on the back 90k...
my buddy is seaching for a small fishing boat 12 to 15 foot. Rock bottom cheesiest model we seen was about 15k.
blinged out wakeboard boat 150k.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
I spent the day yesterday at the Seattle boatshow and was that an eye opener, nice toon with a 150 merc on the back 90k...
my buddy is seaching for a small fishing boat 12 to 15 foot. Rock bottom cheesiest model we seen was about 15k.
blinged out wakeboard boat 150k.
I hear you. I went to the NYC Boat Show a few weeks ago and was absolutely disgusted with the prices. I walked around mumbling and grumbling about how does the average American afford these boats. My wife and are are both professionals with well above avg income. But with 2 kids to put thru school, a mortgage and 2 car payments, it's quite a stretch. Glad my boat is paid off and still running great with 350 hours. And here I thought this year was going to be the year to upgrade!!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

Offshore boats are cool as hell. But down here in Florida it sure is handy to throw the outboard boat in the water and know it is going to run every time. , and when you get home a 5 minute rinse with the hose to get the salt off and throw it in the barn for the next time

Rinse and repeat.

Did it for 14 years with my dads cc.

New boat prices are just Stupid, but take a look at he cost of everything else you buy how much it is gone up.

Resin has doubled because of the price of oil went up but once the oil bottoms out the resin price will never come back down.

Oil and freight costs are at a all time low. I bought a bunch of PVC the other day. I was blown away how expensive they had become.

Don't even get me going on groceries.

Last edited by tommymonza; 02-05-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Registered

I think this is what is killing the middle class off . Sure wages go up but everytime you turn around there is a new fee, an added tax, not to mention the cost of things, at the end of the day you work more and bring home less.that less buys a lot less.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:57 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I really do not know a middle class couple anymore that is pulling down 150 K after taxes. In some cases middle class is making less than 10 years ago. Mine situation is that way and so is many others that I know. Alot have not received pay raises to = the increases the cost of living expenses thru out the years .

My wife has over 30 years with a major airline never one day late for the job - receives good comments from passengers on the plane almost every darn flight - the deal that really sucks - retirement was basically completely lost and she has to work 12 more hours per month to = the same pay before this major airline filed BR plus has to work harder at her job for less pay. Our health care costs are killing us - has 6 times the cost in the past 4 years. Auto insurance is not cheap in a major city, both of us has very clean driving records.

If you own your own business - the cost of doing business is extremely high especially carrying all the required insurances and health insurance cost makes it really not worth owning a business anymore.

Last edited by BUP; 02-05-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza

New boat prices are just Stupid, but take a look at he cost of everything else you buy how much it is gone up.

Resin has doubled because of the price of oil went up but once the oil bottoms out the resin price will never come back down.

Oil and freight costs are at a all time low. I bought a bunch of PVC the other day. I was blown away how expensive they had become.

Don't even get me going on groceries.
You MUST not be listening to our goberment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, there hasn't been any inflation in almost 7 years!!!!

Originally Posted by buck35
I think this is what is killing the middle class off . Sure wages go up but everytime you turn around there is a new fee, an added tax, not to mention the cost of things, at the end of the day you work more and bring home less.that less buys a lot less.
HUH?

Is that why my wife just this year got back to what she made 4 years ago in a much lower cost of living state? (Federal worker too).

Or why my wage is what I made in say,,,,,,,, 2002-2003? Again now living in a higher cost of living state then 2002.

Not bashing just not many people I know that would say their wages are higher or going up,,,,,,,,,,,,,, unless you mean from unemployment to working!
LOL

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 02-05-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

well, it actually makes me feel a little better to hear others are in the same boat (pardon the pun) as me. No raise for the last 3 years, healthcare increase every year, cost of living increasing, taxes going up, etc. Yup, I bring home less every year. It's a sad state of affairs here boys! And what sucks too: We've been saving for our daughters college since they were born, I'm thinking OK, we're in great shape, already have 2 years paid for for my 11 year old. Well that's until you factor in the projected cost of college when they go. Guess what, we don't have ****! Any time I even mention a bigger boat to my wife, she gets pissed.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by brentadkins
After spending hours, with multiple cuts and bruises from working in the engine bay of a twin engine boat... I can see why someone would want an outboard boat...JS
With a bad back, this was one of the driving factors in me going with twin OB motors..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.