Pilini Marine Starting Construction On New 34 XCS Catamaran >

Pilini Marine Starting Construction On New 34 XCS Catamaran

Notices

Pilini Marine Starting Construction On New 34 XCS Catamaran

Old 02-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blingbling
It would be a great 400 outboard boat, but some super reliable 750 HP inboards would be a runner. True 750s, I,m thinking low 140s. Jay builds one hell of a product.

Some 700 NXT Merc motors with a 6 drive, and if the C of G would be right, turn key rocket.

Congrats, what ever you choose what a great boat.
Low 140s with merc 700s. Wow that would be fastest 34 built so far
Old 02-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Any sketches of what this boat would look like? I'd be interested in one...
Old 03-06-2016, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 531 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by erik1976
Any sketches of what this boat would look like? I'd be interested in one...

PhotoCredit: Pilini Marine Technologies https://www.facebook.com/pilinimarin...type=3&theater

Last edited by noli; 03-06-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
in boat building the big profit is in the size of the boat , in not that it cost much more to build but people are willing to spend a LOT more the larger they go , I no of a boat builder that used to sell 24 foot single engine boats and 28 foot single engine boats , Well he got $ 30,000 more for the 28 and it only cost him a few grand more to build , The rigging was the same , the only difference was a little more materiel in the mold for a longer boat , the labor for 4 foot is about the same and the materiel was less then a grand , So he stopped building 24 footers to make the extra profit .
There's another builder rite now selling a 30 cat with 300xs ready to go for the $ 130 k range , so for him to make the boat a few feet longer wont cost much and the 400 r's are maybe $ 10 k more so now you can see that there is profit in boat building when done rite .
let look at this another way , you can buy a 32 foot CC with twin 300 v rod's for $ 120 k or you can by it from another builder for $ 300 k Yes the $ 300 k boat will have more bling but other then that how can someone spend $ 180 k more on the same size boat ?
It's called name brand recognition and a big ego , But there's a saying if you have the money then buy what you like no matter the cost , and let the other guy make HUGE profit
Yes , it's the people that believe all the hype that it cost $ 100 k to lay up a boat that spend $ $ 300 k + on a small under 40 foot boat , the people in the no can figure it out pretty easy .
lets just say the hull and deck materiel and labor on a 30's cat is under $40 k+ - ad another $ 60 k for O/B 's and rigging and your at $ 100 k built now sell it for $ 150 + and you made yourself some nice money in my standers , but some builder's wont touch a boat unless they make $ 100 k + profit , so there are different builders for everyone ,
I no a 30 spectre or 30 motion with twin 300 xs motor brand new a few years ago where in the $ 130 to 140 k range and the 400R motor are not much more $'s and the extra 3 or 4 foot of glass work is basically nothing , So there you have it , Even at the $ 150 to $200 k mark there is a NICE profit for the working man to be proud of

You seem to focus on the cost of building the boat..... What about the overhead of the shop, the employees, the taxes/workers comp and how do you value the plug/mold building process? You realize you could spend 60K on a used truck, forklift and a couple of shop trailers? What if you blow 100K making a plug and build 5 boats. Do you realize that adds 20K to the cost of each boat? If your shop rent is $3000 a month and you build 5 boats in your first year then that would add over 7K to each boat.

If you only built 3 boats using the above guesstimates then your overhead (36K in rent), your 60K on vehicles, 100K on plug/mold work then adds over 65K to each of the three boats you actually built. This of course assumes you sell all three and that the boat is a hit with buyers/dealers.

Net ending to the story is nobody has ever gotten rich in boat building unless they were selling the brand like Don Aronow did. I would think there is enough smart guys in the industry that someone would have figured out the formula but I think the outside pressures push the profit margins around greatly and lots of builders are making a living but not getting rich.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if they built a boat people could afford they would sell more then 5 boats , they should be selling 500 boats and dividing the cost between 500 boats not 5 then the cost per boat will go down to not much . look at Yamaha jet boats , there boat are 18 to 25 foot and between $ 30 k and 50 k and they sell THOUSANDS of boats a year , And guess what they make a good profit , Good profit is different to all people and while some will be happy profiting $ 5 k a boat other's will have to profit $ 50 to $ 100 k + a boat to be happy .
So take yamaha for example if they sell around 4000 boats a year and profit a mer $ 5000 on each boat by the end of the year they just made $ 20,000,000 " thats million " in PROFIT why cant a performance boat builder build 100 boats a year and profit say $ 20,000. a boat and make $ 2,000,000. a year profit after all cost , I would think to be great money and also have full time worker's all year long . Or they can build 5 or 6 boats a year and profit $ 100 k + on each boat and still make great money , I guess I work on average's and you can stay busy building more boats and make more profit in the long run then more profit per boat . This has been beaten for ever I don't even no why you brought it up again , I saw a 31 foot skater in the classifieds for $ 700 k you go spend your money on that and I will look into buying a sub $ 200 k boat like Predator 30 or Spectre 32/34 and have the same amount of fun if not more for way less $$ ,. but I do understand after being on the water my whole life there those one percenters that need to spend like that and have the means to do so , So let them , but thats not your everyday boater type of person , its also not all the boat builder's it's also The big M that need's to come down on there price and start selling more , I guess thats why the O/B market is taking off , Other Manufacturers selling motor's for a lot less $ and being able to pass that savings on the the buyer
Old 03-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

if they built a boat people could afford they would sell more then 5 boats , they should be selling 500 boats and dividing the cost between 500 boats not 5 then the cost per boat will go down to not much . look at Yamaha jet boats , there boat are 18 to 25 foot and between $ 30 k and 50 k and they sell THOUSANDS of boats a year , And guess what they make a good profit , Good profit is different to all people and while some will be happy profiting $ 5 k a boat other's will have to profit $ 50 to $ 100 k + a boat to be happy .
So take yamaha for example if they sell around 4000 boats a year and profit a mer $ 5000 on each boat by the end of the year they just made $ 20,000,000 " thats million " in PROFIT why cant a performance boat builder build 100 boats a year and profit say $ 20,000. a boat and make $ 2,000,000. a year profit after all cost , I would think to be great money and also have full time worker's all year long . Or they can build 5 or 6 boats a year and profit $ 100 k + on each boat and still make great money , I guess I work on average's and you can stay busy building more boats and make more profit in the long run then more profit per boat . This has been beaten for ever I don't even no why you brought it up again , I saw a 31 foot skater in the classifieds for $ 700 k you go spend your money on that and I will look into buying a sub $ 200 k boat like Predator 30 or Spectre 32/34 and have the same amount of fun if not more for way less $$ ,. but I do understand after being on the water my whole life there those one percenters that need to spend like that and have the means to do so , So let them , but thats not your everyday boater type of person , its also not all the boat builder's it's also The big M that need's to come down on there price and start selling more , I guess thats why the O/B market is taking off , Other Manufacturers selling motor's for a lot less $ and being able to pass that savings on the the buyer
You should get rich building boats for us then.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
You should get rich building boats for us then.
Like I said before, Rich is different for different people , Some could be Rich @ $100 k a year and some need 100 million a year or anywhere between
Old 03-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Registered

1. Yamaha has demand at those price points
2. Yamaha probably finances 80% of those sales, most with little or no down payment
3. Cost to run, insure, store these types of boats are minimal compared to offshore type stuff
Old 03-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Registered

Another thing........there is no demand for 4000 new sport boats no matter what the price point!

Nobody even mentions the cost of capital either.......not too many builder have 200-250k in start up cash like they did in the 80s
Old 03-06-2016, 04:25 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More power to them if that 200 is correct. I bet its more than that in the end somehow. I bet your not getting the motors for 22 when all is said and done. You have to make sure it has the sport master lower and the wing plate work has to be done. Also the tie bar and power steering pump. Ive spoke with people who are doing the 400 rerig on some boats and with a blank boat with everything broken out already they're getting prices around 75 to 80 grand. Now again it has a different power steering pump and the wing plates and the tie bar although that looks simple isnt cheap. Thats also with rigging charges in there for that portion of the work. That means the rest of the rigging and cost of the boat is around 120,000. to 125,000. bucks for the completed product. Like I said hope it works out that way for all parties concerned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.