What's an insulting offer?

Notices

What's an insulting offer?

Old 09-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's an insulting offer?

Anyone ever been selling a boat and get a ridiculous offer? Did it effect your subsequent pricing on your next boat sale? Did you ever find that what you thought was a ridiculous offer turned out to be close to what you may have sold a boat for later (season or two later?)

How about the other side of the coin???? Anyone ever make a pretty stiff offer on a boat and snag one? Anyone out there look at boats and only buy if the deal is a certain value to them?

I'm not asking for $$ figures, %ages works fine.

Any interesting stories out there on these transactions?????

Mark
Old 09-20-2002, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Too Old,I think the Sonic at 37k is an incredible deal!!! and I don`t think you`ll have it more than a week at that price.

As far as rediculous offers go, when I make an offer on a boat it is what I can afford at the time.

Several years ago I looked at a 1989 Fountain 10M ICBM, low use and about 200 hrs. The seller had it advertised at 79.900. I was told the he was extremely motivated to move the boat. We went to look at it on a 15* day in January in an unheated barn and the seller immediatly dropped the price to 59.900. It was a decent boat for sure, but just not quite as clean as I like them. The seller told me to make him an offer as it needed to be gone. I said I`ll give you 20.000 today!!!! ....and he looked at me and said, what kind of ******* are you???? then he said 25.000 and you got a deal!!!!!!

Kurt.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:35 AM
Registered

Biggus- Were there any suprises after you bought the boat? Like cracked block, hole in hull, or ????
Old 09-20-2002, 06:54 AM
Registered

hey never hurts to ask....so go bid on the AT....it's up to 52,100....WOOHOO!!
Old 09-20-2002, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't take any offer personally, many time it may be worth more to a seller than a buyer. To get a great deal you really want to find a highly motivated seller, thus buying a convertable, boat, motorcycle, Jet ski........ all in winter helps allot also. The saying " best time to buy an Air Conditioner is in the winter"

Just my experience
WILL
Old 09-20-2002, 07:54 AM
Registered

I made what I though was a very low offer on my present boat (30% below asking price) and the buyer took it. I was so surprised I had 2 surveyors go over it. I havent had any surprises 2 years later.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no such thing as an insulting offer. Just say no. There will be people out there trying to steal the boat. You cant blame them. Just let them know what you want for the boat and be done with it. You can tell if someone is serious from the first conversation. Its not hard to weed out the tire kickers. A few months ago when I was looking at boats I called about several that were out of my price range and offered them my budget. A few months later 2 of them called back and accepted my offer. I bought the boat of my choice that day and declined the other boat. Its not a game, its just a process.

Ron
Old 09-20-2002, 08:56 AM
Wild Horses

I picked up our mint condition loaded Steath Twin Turbo 5 speed from a jewish doctor who wanted it to go to a good home and never see a winter. Showed him pictures of old show cars I restored, brought my kids down and babied it when we went for a test drive. I offered him 8 grand less than he was asking which was priced fairly ..... and he said throw in $500 more and it's a deal.

Bought it on the spot.

Old 09-20-2002, 10:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by audacity
hey never hurts to ask....so go bid on the AT....it's up to 52,100....WOOHOO!!
Joe, if you'd sell it in the 50's, I might buy it and keep the Fountain. You can't say that you're not tying to sell that boat, though, you' re on it like a bum on a bologna sandwich. LOL!

Great info so far. Keep the info rollin' I'm kinda curious about from the making an offer standpoint too!

Mark
Old 09-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Registered

32, you drive this and you'll never go back to that...... .....it's a love hate thing...i do want to just keep it in storage for when i want to go for a ride...but if i'm on it, it has to have a fresh polish job on it and it be spick and span...that takes time! i don't have it!

Quick Reply: What's an insulting offer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.