Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   one thing my boat is not good for (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33457-one-thing-my-boat-not-good.html)

velocity260 09-21-2002 09:28 PM

one thing my boat is not good for

Towing.Was out for a ride the other night in 3-5's with 15mphwind off shore. Saw my dads buddy floating around in his 42' grand banks didnt think anything off it at the time untill I found out he lost both engines. Herd over radio, I went back out and tied on tryed to tow him just to see if I could, not a chance:o(kinda like the chevy tracker towing a semi comercial:D ) Was able to hold on untill my dad and coast aux latched on with his 50footer no problem for them. Kind of embarrsing for the captain of the GB considering 12non-boaters were onboard having dinner.:p What is the biggest boat any of you have had to tow?

traviss 09-21-2002 09:32 PM

Never towed before.. Been towed by dad with the 24" pontoon about 4 times this year :eek: :(

and ofcourse dad's boat never quits :mad:

Tinkerer 09-21-2002 09:36 PM

I was towed by a pontoon boat the first year that I owned the boat ( ran it out of gas - the gas guage read just under 1/4 tank)
The biggest boat I have towed is probably about 40 ft.

Tom 09-21-2002 10:17 PM

I blew up a drive in San Francisco Bay and was towed in by a sailboat. There were 4 foot waves and the going was very slow, but we made it. At one point his engines cut out and a powerboat stepped in for him. Good thing about a sailboat he just sailed back in on his own. Drive blew around 5PM and finally met my wife with the trailer at midnight. Got out cold and exhausted and said "I have the coolest boat in the world." My wife thought I was crazy, still does. What kind of disease do we have that even when they break and are a pain we still love our boats?

Tom

MitchStellin 09-21-2002 10:46 PM

I towed a 45ft sailboat off a sand bar about a month ago. It took a while but we did it.

Tejas Raz 09-22-2002 01:28 AM

Gee,
I've towed lots but mostly the smaller runabouts and pontoons. So far under 26' with my 22'. Put out a fire on one this summer too. Hint: always keep at least two fire extinguishers on board. If you shoot one on the other boat, what do you have left for yourself?!

I will not pass a stranded boater, period. Sometimes it sucks, but you never know when it'll be you. Besides, us LOUD boaters could do with a little lake PR.

Scott

R Addiction 09-22-2002 08:04 AM

I was the recipient of a tow yesterday when I lost fuel pressure coming back across the Chesa. Bay:mad: A friend of mine towed me for 3 hours all the way back to my marina!!! This friend is the same guy that I had a problem with at the beginning of the season. We have struck up a great friendship with him and his great woman, who by the way makes a killer drink aptly named "Velocity Venom". Not only did BPowell tow me back, Bp's cousin, Chad, took my 10 year old daughter and her friend along with my wife and both of BP's kids, and Chads wife to be, back to shore. All in a 22 Velocity!!! I hear it was a nice ride too!! What started out to be a great day on the bay, ended up being the day from hell!!! But thanks to good friends and understanding family members, All turned out well. Thanks BPowell, Chad, Jamie, my wonderful wife Lesley, and all 4 kids that had to wait for me to get back so we could get dinner!! I owe you all!!!

P.S. To top it all off, on the way to pick up my crew I blew past a car on a short pass zone and came back into my lane over a double yellow and low and behold the next car in line was a Cop, needless to say the lights came on and I pulled over. Pled my case and he was understanding and let me go. WHEW!!!
:D

R Addiction 09-22-2002 08:13 AM

By the way I was towed in by none other than a 26 Velocity!!!!!

CigDaze 09-22-2002 08:30 AM

...Been towed and have towed plenty.

The biggest was probably a 34-36 sailboat that was aground. Freeing him was the tough part, towing was a piece of cake!
Getting him snuggly back into his slip was another story all together. :cool:

Waterfoul 09-22-2002 08:42 AM

I towed my buddies 32 Baja Outlaw in twice because he ran out of gas. Twice!!! First time was only about one mile. Second time was about 5 miles. Slow going!!!!! I also once towed a 42' sail boat off the bottom in the Kalamzoo river in Saugatuck channel. I think he got hung up on a deadfall or something with his keel. Bent his prop up real good I guess. He was stuck, and even after I got hom off (had to upll him from his stern to get him free) he still couldn't go anywhere. No chance of sailing there either, river is about 100 yards wide with dunes and tall trees on both sides!!!! Not a breath of wind most days. Towed him to his marina about a mile upstream in town. He was VERY appreciative and even said my boat sounded nice!!!! Still see that boat around and he even waved at me last summer. Guess all sailboters are not that bad.

Oh, and you should all know that Mitch towed that big sailbote off the sand bar in a 16' Zodiac RIB with a Merc 115 on it. Which I got to ride in yesterday. Cool boat!!!!