Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Purchasing From A Member - How To Pay? >

Purchasing From A Member - How To Pay?

Notices

Purchasing From A Member - How To Pay?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over on the Mercedes AMG forum I am a member of long standing members regularly volunteer to go check out vehicles and parts for other long standing members in other parts of the country...or even other parts of the world. I live in Chicago and have gone to local Chicago area car dealers to inspect and test drive vehicles for members living in California. No reason why another long standing member here could not go physically see and touch the parts before you wire the funds.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by frickstyle
^^^This is the safest way.

I've never had a problem with buying or selling on this website. References from other members also helps. I've had good experiences from every member I've dealt with on here, deals up to $20K+.
COD does not even work well these days. There was a big scam going on a few years ago where guys were shipping old rusty damaged spare wheels to guys who paid $5,0000+ for a set of forged HRE wheels. Guys were also shipping bricks and cinder blocks on ebay and PayPal transactions, Ebay only sees that a package with a tracking number with dimensions and weight similar to whatever the real product should be then it's a pissing match between you, the seller and Ebay. The bogus seller will claim he sent you the item as described and that you are the one lying. Ebay will see that a package was deliver and signed for and you are screwed.

Be Careful. As I mentioned in my previous post just ask another Offshore Only member who might be local to the seller to go check out the parts in person, that will take out about 95% of the risk.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

How would COD not work? Buyer doesn't give driver the check until Buyer is satisfied that parts are what he ordered. Driver doesn't leave package until he sees a payment? Has to be cashier's / bank check.

Please elaborate so we can all learn. I can see where a PayPal scam would work, but not a COD thru FedEx or UPS.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 283 Likes on 137 Posts

How would COD not work? Buyer doesn't give driver the check until Buyer is satisfied that parts are what he ordered. Driver doesn't leave package until he sees a payment? Has to be cashier's / bank check.

Please elaborate so we can all learn. I can see where a PayPal scam would work, but not a COD thru FedEx or UPS.
I agree with frickstyle, if the package shows up and you don't like it, then you do not give the driver a check and it will get returned to the sender. At the very worst, FedEx, UPS or the seller could probably get you for the shipping charges.

Say I buy an engine for $5K from Joe Blow on OSO, and the shipping is $500. He sends it out UPS COD. When the engine gets to me I have to give the driver a bank check made out to UPS for $5500. UPS then deposits the check, takes their $500 for the shipping and cuts the seller his $5000 check.

If the engine had shown up and I didn't like it, I just simply say that I'm not giving the driver a check and it gets returned to the sender.

Last edited by 302Sport; 02-17-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Registered

First off is because the Postal Service, post man or Fed EX delivery driver will not let you open the package until he has payment in hand. Taken for USPS website: The Postal Service is independent from you and the person/seller who ships you the package. You will not be permitted to receive or open have the package or letter until it's paid for(federal law). If the item(s) are not what you wanted or ordered, then you will have to deal with the company/seller directly to resolve.

Furthermore, lets just say the post office or mail man or delivery guy lets you inspect the item, but what if the item is not easily inspectible? What if it is an electronic item like a radar unit or radio receiver or an ECU, what if it is something that you don't know it will work until it is installed in the boat or vehicle? I have a bad ECU out of an AMG Black Series just sitting in my garage, used market value on it is well over $2000, it looks perfect to the eye but I guarantee you will never get to to hold a tune. If I were a crock I could easily list this item for sale, send it COD to you, do you think the mail man is going to wait while you install and tune an ECU in your car to see if it works?

Last edited by partlowr; 02-17-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
I agree with frickstyle, if the package shows up and you don't like it, then you do not give the driver a check and it will get returned to the sender. At the very worst, FedEx, UPS or the seller could probably get you for the shipping charges.

Say I buy an engine for $5K from Joe Blow on OSO, and the shipping is $500. He sends it out UPS COD. When the engine gets to me I have to give the driver a bank check made out to UPS for $5500. UPS then deposits the check, takes their $500 for the shipping and cuts the seller his $5000 check.

If the engine had shown up and I didn't like it, I just simply say that I'm not giving the driver a check and it gets returned to the sender.
....so you are going to install the motor in your boat or hang it on a dyno or even do a let down test while you have the Fed Ex guy sitting on your front porch? Just because a motor shows up on the back of a truck does not mean it works.

Listen, I am not trying to be a negative influence but the world is a sick place these days and there are lots of scammers out there looking to make a buck off unsuspecting people like us. I have had it happen to me and see it happening al the time. Scams come and go and there is always a new one with different angle. Not all scammers are idiots, lazy scumbags yes, idiots no. What better demographic better to scam then a bunch of "rich guys" with six and seven figure boats.....