2010 Larson Lxi 238 vs 2005 Sea Ray 240 SunDeck >

2010 Larson Lxi 238 vs 2005 Sea Ray 240 SunDeck

Notices

2010 Larson Lxi 238 vs 2005 Sea Ray 240 SunDeck

Old 02-22-2016, 02:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

so for the 2010 - 5.0 L Volvo does it have the catalyst engine ? If so I would rather have the older Sea Ray.

2010 all marine engines in the USA under 500 hp had to have a catalyst engine but the marine V6 you could get either way. that engine had a pass (carbon credits) till 2012.

also both deckboats here would do alot better with dual prop outdrives rather than single prop apps especially having alot of people on board and items.

Larson boats is very average quality at best. just saying.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:10 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

so the sea ray is a single prop -

Volvo DP is a really good outdrive. Their external mounted trim pumps had a lot of problems until their 5th gen of it. I would check for warranty claims against it to see if has been replaced at some point in time. If not it can fail somewhere down the road.

I am still kind of mixed up what the engine are in these 2 boats.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I knew as soon as I opened your thread that "someone" was going to get on you for being a "Performance Boat" web site. While that is very true- there are a few of us that really dream of a "performance boat" someday but in the meantime have something that we/our families can enjoy and within a budget.

The OSO site - in my opinion-- is a phenomenal resource for a lot of good information - both technical and practical- the jokes and insults are priceless!! Most of the participants what to help as best as they can, or share as much information as possible. The long and short is we all love being on the water - either starting our hair on fire, watching the family develop memories and if we are lucky doing both at the same time.

I log into this site more than I probably should - just to learn - and I say this to everyone that is just starting out in this "addiction" called boating. Regardless if you have a 1000hp dream machine or 300hp I/O the principles are the same-- or as I say the verbs are the same -- the nouns just change.

Regarding your boat choice - I have seen that most of the SeaRay's tend to be a little underpowered. Yes, you should be able to pull the skiers and tubers but don't expect wild adventures. Both the SeaRay and Larson are good boats and from what I've seen modestly priced. For what it is worth from me - I would suggest that you get the biggest boat with the most horsepower you can afford. In my opinion, I would rather have bunches of horsepower available and let the engine work a little less than have an engine that is running WOT all the time just to keep up. The other element that you need to consider is where are you boating-- some boats are better suited for fresh water than salt.

Before we pulled the trigger on our boat we spent a number of hours at various loading ramps and watched what boats were being used, how old they were and how easy they were to play with. I asked a lot of questions, maintenance, problem areas etc. You just need to learn.

Since these are used boats - you can tell volumes just by looking at the bilge and the outdrive -- are they clean? Is the steg all banged up,scratched. Does the bilge have more oil than water -- gobs of mold? I figure that if the prior owner doesn't take care of the little things there is no way they will do the major stuff.

These are just my opinions

Good luck

3pointstar
Old 02-23-2016, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ BUP, Yes the Sea Ray is a single Prop and the Volvo is a Duel, Both boats are absolutely immaculate. The Sea Ray needs a little elbow grease to shine but over all very nice and the motor is brand new with 0 hours. The Larson was taken very good care of, cannot find so much as a drop of oil anywhere. Its one of those things where I fear if I go with the Larson, with my luck something goes wrong with the motor or If I go with the older boat, perhaps the outdrive next or maybe even the hull.

@ 3pointstar Thank you for the kind words and your opinion. Everything is clean and looks great on both boats, i guess the sea trials will help to make up my mind.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:12 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,130 Likes on 1,408 Posts

I would think room is a big factor. I looked at pics of both online, looks like the Sea Ray has more passenger room ?

Since you'll be in salt water, do either of these have closed cooling ? Are either of these boats from a salt water environment ?

Originally Posted by carmdac
That is good advise, thank you! Mostly Bay. Barnaget Bay and Egg Harbor in NJ.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would lean towards the Searay strongly in general. It may not be a better built boat than a Larson but it is a better marketed boat. The 240 Sundeck was a may still be their biggest selling boat. Searays alway sell fast over many other brands. I've been on and driven a neighbors 240. His is a 5.0 Bravo 3 (dual prop). is a bit under powered. Very nice space inside and seats 10 according to Searay. Great large swim platform.

Bravo 3 is a good drive and helps small motors do well in that boat. I would make sure that the motor was a complete new motor that was dropped in complete with accessories. Then all is new on the engine. I would assume that to be the case with a 383. The 383 should not be a 5.0. I believe its based off a 5.7. The 383 would be great power in that boat.

If the hull is faded it may need a professional buff to bring it back. After that it may require more work to keep it looking nice. I would find out why the other motor was replaced and how many hours on that drive. Maybe have a merc mechanic check the drive. You can actually compare how it feels to a new Bravo 3 when moving the drive side to side and turning the props while feeling for play. Hope this helps
Old 02-23-2016, 06:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I would think room is a big factor. I looked at pics of both online, looks like the Sea Ray has more passenger room ?

Since you'll be in salt water, do either of these have closed cooling ? Are either of these boats from a salt water environment ?
Both are fresh water cooled and yes they are both in a salt water environment. However, moving forward, the marina we have chose is in fresh water so the time sitting in water will mostly be done in brackish to fresh water.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera572
I would lean towards the Searay strongly in general. It may not be a better built boat than a Larson but it is a better marketed boat. The 240 Sundeck was a may still be their biggest selling boat. Searays alway sell fast over many other brands. I've been on and driven a neighbors 240. His is a 5.0 Bravo 3 (dual prop). is a bit under powered. Very nice space inside and seats 10 according to Searay. Great large swim platform.

Bravo 3 is a good drive and helps small motors do well in that boat. I would make sure that the motor was a complete new motor that was dropped in complete with accessories. Then all is new on the engine. I would assume that to be the case with a 383. The 383 should not be a 5.0. I believe its based off a 5.7. The 383 would be great power in that boat.

If the hull is faded it may need a professional buff to bring it back. After that it may require more work to keep it looking nice. I would find out why the other motor was replaced and how many hours on that drive. Maybe have a merc mechanic check the drive. You can actually compare how it feels to a new Bravo 3 when moving the drive side to side and turning the props while feeling for play. Hope this helps
Thank you for the sound advise. I am bringing a mechanic to see it this weekend and hopefully on the sea trial as well.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:17 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned earlier, be sure and load the boat the way you want to use it. I see new boat owners every year making their first run with the family and having a hard time getting on plane.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I would recommend a dual prop drive, either Volvo DuoProp or Merc Bravo III. These boats, especially with a load of people, are heavy. An Alpha 1 will struggle getting on plane. As others have said, go with the most power you can find. In a 24' boat I'd want an absolute minimum of 300 hp. But I'd look for the 320 hp dual prop package. A buddy of mine has a 26' bowrider with a Merc 350 Mag Bravo III, 300 hp. It's a major dog getting on plane. Nobody will ever say they have too much power!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.