Mercruiser 6.2 MX alarm help

Notices

Mercruiser 6.2 MX alarm help

Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser 6.2 MX alarm help

Hi,

I have a 2002 Formula 292 Fastech with twin 6.2 MX. The starboard engine gives an alarm immediately after starting regardless if cold or warmed up. About every minute 2 short beeps. When I open her to about 4000 the alarm just stays on. The only way to make it stop is come off plane and then bring it back up to around 3000 where it goes back to the 2 beeps. Oil level and pressure good, drive reservoir full, temp is good. Engine is running well as far as I can tell. When it gives the constant alarm at high rpm the performance is not affected and doesn't shut itself down or limit rpm. Just don't know where to look next. Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Registered

Also, I changed the thermostat and impeller thinking that could be the problem but no change.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

The only alarms I have ever had with both 6.2's in my 292 were due to faulty IAC (Idle Air Control) valves. Do you notice any issues with idling with the throttles pulled all the way back? I would avoid running the engines until you figure it out. Continued running with a bad IAC can hurt the ECM.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Registered

Seems to be just fine.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:18 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

A engine scan will be your best bet no matter how you slice it and if you keep running your engine with alarms going off you can more than likely be paying alot bigger price than getting it fixed ASAP. I promise. The alarm(s) is sounding for a reason and that reason is not going to fix itself especially running at WOT and keep on running the engine can lead to bigger problems.

IAC are a huge common problem but there is more to it than just that. Something can be causing the IAC to fail as well. Also will add having a solid alarm going off along with the 2 beep alarm could mean more than one problem.

Without a engine scan and someone who knows how to read it - with that said possible you can get lucky on the net with the fix but really its a dart board without the scan. Possible more than one problem going on here and quit running the engine without a complete proper fix. Just saying

Last edited by BUP; 02-22-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Had a like issue after putting in new impellers....it was the water speed pressure sensor.

Although water was flowing the sensor was reading 0 and would actually cause a limp mode after a certain rpm.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:25 PM
Registered

Thanks for quick replies. Came in as soon as it happened. It's back on trailer now. Will bring to get scanned. Just thought someone may have had similar problems that may have been able to help. If the IAC Is bad, wouldn't it be running rough?
Old 02-22-2016, 08:28 PM
Registered

Nate,
I had the same problem before and after the impeller change. Although no limp mode. Boat is running great as far as I can tell
Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Continuous horn 5 % to 90 % available power so you might not even no if guardian is activated. The scan will tell you available power.

2 beeps possible 90 % available power

IMO you are in a slight form of guardian mode.prob 10 to 14 % guardian mode = 90 % to 86 % available power

Next - IMO

2 BEEP HORN you have bad IAC or you have low water pressure ie: bad water pressure sensor or its restricted

and THE SOLID HORN at 4k rpms is OVERSPEED because the engine is in a slight form guardian mode and looking at it as OVERSPEED.

lets see how correct I am without even looking at this app.

The person scanning the engine - needs to look at your current engine hours and in history at what engine hours these faults came in at to make sure you are addressing the current faults.

Last edited by BUP; 02-22-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:58 PM
Registered

BUP,
What I'm afraid of is the person doing the scan will not be nearly as knowledgeable as you. The 2 beeps start immediately after engine starts and then every minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.