Need Some Dyno test results for 496

Notices

Need Some Dyno test results for 496

Old 03-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Thanks, I just wanted stock 496 MAG and HO MAG dyno pull numbers especially at the crank and if all possible at the prop. Also wanted equipment info what use used to obtain those those dyno numbers.

Thanks for the replies and who can provide this.

Also stock numbers first and possible moded numbers afterwards would work to.
What are you up to?

Most of this data is out there I have most of my max HP numbers memorized for my HO, HO with head mods and Raylar HO 600. What do you need?
Old 03-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Rage, Bandit and SD Fever have a bunch of modified dyno data. LOL Rage even has AF numbers for each cylinder. SD Fever has heavily modified Raylar stuff and Vortech Bandit has a ton of stock manifold highly modified data.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:21 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I am up to no good just kidding. I will let the info out down the road. I am working with 2 other people on something. Sorry I can not say any more at this timeframe.

I can say this for now, I am trying to work on being a problem solver for the marine 496. Just last year I worked on the earlier 496 cam sensors that are no longer available. I had 2 different sensors made for those apps but only 10 produced for now, (actually 11). Those damn things were expensive to get 11 made for testing. If I had 1000 cam sensors made, the price drops hugely but heck I did not want to get stuck with that many at this timeframe. I want to try these in the GM truck apps as well but I do not have the out for that end.

This new project has nothing to do with the cam sensor but I did come up with something else I very found interesting. 2 things that will be holding me back on this, is time and money as usual.

Really just need the stock pulls and equipment used that obtained those dyno numbers. Oh forgot to mention this, was the stock OEM 496 marine exhaust used for the dyno pulls ? Thanks and sorry about the vague posting.

Last edited by BUP; 03-01-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, my dyno is a Land n Sea prop shaft dual rotor, capable of holding 800 ft. lbs. of torque at the prop, .with dynomite pro software and electronic weather station. I have the hardware to use the brake on a stand mounted engine. So, I have the ability to dyno an engine at the prop and at the flywheel using the exact same dyno. I use the J607 standard correction factor, which as you know is 2-3% higher than what Merc uses. Altitude is 800' and being in central Texas it is always hot and humid. My corrections usually run 2-4% during winter and 10% or more durning the summer months. I have the capability to show raw HP and HP corrected to whatever standard you want in the software. I also test all engines in complete trim with wet exhaust on the engine stand, so the only difference in flywheel and prop numbers is drive loss. Hope this answers your question about equipment.

The HO I dyno'd in the article made 395 at the prop and 431 at the flywheel. I even moved all of the exhaust system from the boat to the dyno to make sure nothing changed.

Originally Posted by BUP
Thanks, I just wanted stock 496 MAG and HO MAG dyno pull numbers especially at the crank and if all possible at the prop. Also wanted equipment info what use used to obtain those those dyno numbers.

Thanks for the replies and who can provide this.

Also stock numbers first and possible moded numbers afterwards would work to.

Last edited by bobl; 03-01-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Registered

Another project was a stock 496 Mag that I upgraded. It made 375 at the prop stock. We installed an HO cam, Whipple stage 2 ecu flash, 160 thermostat and Dana exhaust. It made 430 after the mods The boat picked up a solid 4 mph in before/after testing.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, sounds familiar. Except I picked up a little more than 4mph and without the Dana exhaust... I'm assuming that was a single.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Registered

I would post the article but I don't have privilege to do so since I'm too poor to buy a membership now that I'm retired. I can email it to anyone that wants to see it.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Registered

Yeh, you have twice the engines....

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
Hmmm, sounds familiar. Except I picked up a little more than 4mph and without the Dana exhaust... I'm assuming that was a single.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
I would post the article but I don't have privilege to do so since I'm too poor to buy a membership now that I'm retired. I can email it to anyone that wants to see it.
Bob would you mind emailing me the article? I'm very interested in all 496 information. I would like to upgrade mine one day.

Thanks
John
[email protected]
Old 03-01-2016, 02:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks and Thanks Bob.. I know the feeling so well for Texas boating - being 100 % in the boat biz and then having the lake level situation for the past 6 years really was not a biz to be in. Then last year most lakes closed because of flooding in the DFW area.

Anyways my email to send any info.

[email protected]

Please put a title on all emails. Thank you. John

I do know the Land & Sea dynos as well

Last edited by BUP; 03-01-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.