Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fire at Marina Boat Storage In Portland Burns 350 Boats!!!! >

Fire at Marina Boat Storage In Portland Burns 350 Boats!!!!

Notices

Fire at Marina Boat Storage In Portland Burns 350 Boats!!!!

Old 03-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire at Marina Boat Storage In Portland Burns 350 Boats!!!!

A Fire at Sun Dance Marina Boat Storage In Portland Burns 350 Boats!!!! It happened about two days ago in Portland Oregon. A large boat pull out storage building with 350 boats on stacks with 7 large yachts on display burned to the ground, total lose!!! Sad day for a lot of my friend, one had just pulled his boat out, a 45 footer to put it in a boat show that Sun Dance Marina was having that week. The numbers are close to 40 Million in losses!

http://koin.com/2016/02/29/4th-alarm...rtland-marina/
Old 03-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That would suck for the boat owners , I remember that happening down here in south Florida after a Hurricane , Damm there goes insurance rates again
Old 03-02-2016, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
That would suck for the boat owners , I remember that happening down here in south Florida after a Hurricane , Damm there goes insurance rates again
Not sure one fire would raise rates across the board like a hurricane would. Im sure more than a few folks will make out just fine with the insurance check. How many boats were sitting there in poor condition, fried electronics, bad motor etc. and now after the fire they get "excellent" book value for a boat that was rough book all day long and it can't be argued by the insurance company!
Old 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

That place is down the street from the ramp we use! Depending on insurance that could ruin more than a few peoples summers! Total bummer! I sure am wondering what started it, I read in one news story there was some talk of mischief...but I suppose they say that about every fire.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

There must be a giant solidified clod of melted fiberglass in that mess.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Not sure one fire would raise rates across the board like a hurricane would. Im sure more than a few folks will make out just fine with the insurance check. How many boats were sitting there in poor condition, fried electronics, bad motor etc. and now after the fire they get "excellent" book value for a boat that was rough book all day long and it can't be argued by the insurance company!
agreed

Prob a few owners with a big smile and nice cocktail enjoying this
Old 03-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This brings back memories of the Hi Lift Marina Fire, North Miami Beach, Fl, in 1987. It was the first five alarm fire in Dade County History. The place was a total loss..almost 300 boats. They were the premiere Formula Dealer in South Florida at the time and I bought 2 boats from them.

I am a Fire Sprinkler Contractor and when the owners re-built I installed the new required System...the old building wasn't Fire Sprinkled. Forensic investigation determined that a single boat that was put in the lower level of the storage racks started the fire. The "Perko" switch was left in the on position, the bilge pump float stuck in the on position causing the pump to run dry...starting the fire. Once a boat fire starts in one of these places it creates a "Domino " effect...unless of course there is a Fire Sprinkler System in place to extinguish the fire automatically. Needless to say all boat storage facilities built in Florida are now equipped with Automatic Fire Sprinkler Systems.

Hi Lift has had a few fires since the big one and as far as I know they were all extinguished/contained by the Sprinkler System

I think it is safe to conjecture that the storage warehouse in Portland didn't have a Fire Sprinkler System.

Last edited by sprink58; 03-02-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only problem with a boat fire inside an enclosed building even with sprinklers is that the amount of smoke and soot created before the sprinkler puts the fire out will destroy all of the other boats. That ash and smoke will not clean off of the upholstery of the other boats and may not even come off the fiberglass.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Probably many owners with a lot more into their boats than book value as well. Insurance will save them from total loss but thats about it, sad day for many for sure.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:35 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Probably many owners with a lot more into their boats than book value as well. Insurance will save them from total loss but thats about it, sad day for many for sure.
So what? Classifieds are full of boats that the owners have more money into them than they are worth too! Difference is the owners don't have a storage bill any longer and they have a check coming soon.

This wasn't a barn full of Apaches and MTIs......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.