Notices

525s ?

Old 03-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
The stout cam shouldn't cause the valves to wear. I did springs, etc. at about 400 hours as maintenance. There was no need to remove the heads. I also went with stock spec springs since they've worked fine for over 400 hours and I'm not going to second guess Mercury on their choice of springs. IMO this is a very good engine. Remember that when you're on top you will have haters.
It might not directly damage valves but a bad valve seal provides a place for carbon build up to develop. Thus the need for a valve job. I'm no expert but that's how I interpret it...
Old 03-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Hate to say it, but unless you removed the heads, and actually checked the guide clearances, valve seat condition, valve condition, and so on, you're statement is purely a guess, in regards to what is, or isnt' needed.

At 400 hours, I'd be willing to bet the guide clearances, seat concentricity, and valve job, is no where close to what it was when new.

After time, when valve guides wear, things get loose. The valve no longer may seat itself concentrically on the valve seat. it might "leak down test" ok, but at 5000rpm, the results may be different. The relationship between the valve and valve seat, on an endurance engine, is critical. Not even so much as power is concerned, but for valve cooling, as that is where the majority of exhaust valve cooling takes place, when it contacts the seat. Valve seat cut widths, are only as good as the concentricity of the valve to seat. If the valve is only contacting 60% of the seats cut, when closed, due to a sloppy guide or workmanship, the valve can overheat.

Valves, and valve seats, have a cycle life, just like anything. Hence why different materials are used in different applications. One might get 300 hours out of a valve job with iron or powder metal seats and stainless valves, and might get 50 hours out of a titanium valve with copper beryllium seats.

I know you get a bit sensitive about the 525 mercury engine, because you have had good luck with yours. I personally think Mercury's package are about as good as it gets. But at the end of the day, its an Edelbrock cylinder headed, crane cammed, manley valved, pac' springed 502 GM based engine. It is not above the laws of physics. The sad truth is, there are many out there who have suffered the shortcomings of this engine, and frankly, I don't think its right to keep saying in so many words, that they are doing something wrong, or simply unlucky. Running a pair of 525's in a 42 Fountain or 39 Cigarette, is quite different than in a 22 Donzi. With that being said, I know of many who run the crap out of their 525's, and they have had good luck. It is a great engine, but not perfect by any means. I think alot of guys in the past saw "525EFI" merc engines in the boat they were buying, and assumed they simply are dead nuts reliable long life engines that just won't cost them an arm and a leg to maintain. Unfortunately, for some, that just wasnt the case.
well said joe.thirdchildhood,if i remember your name is steve,anyway im sure your engine is running but i will bet my last dollar you are leaving a lot of power on the table.your 525 is no different than all the rest and as joe said as they get hours things change,also as we told you when you were getting ready to replace the springs,their is a lot better spring out their but it cost more money.why do you think all the builders go to a better spring,one reason is longivity.even a tired 525 will push your little donzi but a fresh one would no doubt flat azz make it fly.i am by no means a merc power hater but to believe they don,t have room for improvement is just not true.we already posted why merc uses the parts they do,so they can sell more of them when they wear out way sooner than a high quality part.steve,i am not trying to get in an arguement,i am just stating FACTS.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to say it, but unless you removed the heads, and actually checked the guide clearances, valve seat condition, valve condition, and so on, you're statement is purely a guess, in regards to what is, or isnt' needed.

At 400 hours, I'd be willing to bet the guide clearances, seat concentricity, and valve job, is no where close to what it was when new.

After time, when valve guides wear, things get loose. The valve no longer may seat itself concentrically on the valve seat. it might "leak down test" ok, but at 5000rpm, the results may be different. The relationship between the valve and valve seat, on an endurance engine, is critical. Not even so much as power is concerned, but for valve cooling, as that is where the majority of exhaust valve cooling takes place, when it contacts the seat. Valve seat cut widths, are only as good as the concentricity of the valve to seat. If the valve is only contacting 60% of the seats cut, when closed, due to a sloppy guide or workmanship, the valve can overheat.

Valves, and valve seats, have a cycle life, just like anything. Hence why different materials are used in different applications. One might get 300 hours out of a valve job with iron or powder metal seats and stainless valves, and might get 50 hours out of a titanium valve with copper beryllium seats.

I know you get a bit sensitive about the 525 mercury engine, because you have had good luck with yours. I personally think Mercury's package are about as good as it gets. But at the end of the day, its an Edelbrock cylinder headed, crane cammed, manley valved, pac' springed 502 GM based engine. It is not above the laws of physics. The sad truth is, there are many out there who have suffered the shortcomings of this engine, and frankly, I don't think its right to keep saying in so many words, that they are doing something wrong, or simply unlucky. Running a pair of 525's in a 42 Fountain or 39 Cigarette, is quite different than in a 22 Donzi. With that being said, I know of many who run the crap out of their 525's, and they have had good luck. It is a great engine, but not perfect by any means. I think alot of guys in the past saw "525EFI" merc engines in the boat they were buying, and assumed they simply are dead nuts reliable long life engines that just won't cost them an arm and a leg to maintain. Unfortunately, for some, that just wasnt the case.
Great post!!
Old 03-07-2016, 07:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

525's are a great engine but like MT and others said, it requires maintenance like anything else thats going to be subjected to stresses. I have had my share of problems with them including having to replace two long blocks due to their known shortcomings but now I am informed and I watch over them religiously. They are pretty simple engines to maintain, easy to work on, easy to get parts for and last season, mine lit up EVERY single time I turned the key. Take care of them and they will take care of you. As for choosing between a 525 and 500, there are two things to remember, 1) the engine makes more than the rated 525HP, some have been dynoed at 560. 2) The 525EFI has closed cooling, the 500EFI does not.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Plus the 525 is crank fire, coil on plug and has some other things to give you trouble that the 500 EFI does not. Closed cooling that the 525 has is a big ++ when it comes to running in salt,....jmo
Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, and well said!

I am looking forward to my 525's once it all goes back together.