Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wellcraft Excalibur 45 and 47 Differences? >

Wellcraft Excalibur 45 and 47 Differences?

Notices

Wellcraft Excalibur 45 and 47 Differences?

Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wellcraft Excalibur 45 and 47 Differences?

I've become interested in these boats and can't get a straight answer from any brokers as to the differences between the 45 and 47 aside from 2 feet in length and 1 foot of beam width.

I am a ware that the boat was made in the land down under by Riviera for Wellcraft and that Riviera had their version of the hull as the M470.

Can anybody accurately discuss differences between these two boats?

Thanks in advance, Ken.

Last edited by Stitch King; 03-15-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, they built a 370 and a 430. They were sold in Aus as M370 and M430 (My brother owned a 430 for two years) as Mariner hull built by Riviera. Can't recall what years exactly but that later changed to just Riviera. They were the same boat just different names.

The bigger one was sometimes referred to as a 470 when the platform was included but that's just smoke and mirrors if you wanted to tell people your boat was bigger than theirs!

They built the same boat and exported to the U.S. Selling as Wellcraft Excalibur 38 and 45. A few differences to interior trims and slightly different deck around the stern with the air intakes but otherwise the same.

Great boat, rode very well but not very fast. Anti fouled boat nice and clean, light load, would get close to 50 with twin 502's.

The 430 hulls came from the Riviera Diavolo 44 which was built from one of Rivieras offshore race boats which was very successfully locally. I owned one of the smaller 34 Diavolos for a couple of years with 5.7 and Volvo duo props. Excellent handling boat in all seas. I recall we had an offshore race in 1990 and the starter boat didn't show up, he said it was to rough for his Chris Craft Stinger 390 so my boat became the start boat for the day! (The stinger man was a real whimp. Lol)

Can't go wrong with one but unless you have huge power, don't expect huge speed.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 03-15-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Spellnig
Old 03-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Registered

No expectation of speed here. My previous boat was a Stinger 415 so I'm used to a bigger cabin, generator and AC at the trade off of max performance. We've been looking at express cruisers but there's just no "express" in them at 25 MPH and I just can't do it.

I'm still unclear as to the difference between the 45 Excalibur built between 1996 and 2001'ish and the later model 47 Excalibur from 2002'ish to 2009. Is the bigger one just larger in every dimension or were there a bunch of refinements I should know about?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:46 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful boats, probably my favorite express cruiser. My neighbor had one, after beaching his boat at high tide the scupper drain went under water as the tide came back in and flooded the boat. I don't know what angle the boat was at and he seems to suffer a lot of insurance claims so there may not be too much to it. He did buy another one a couple of years later.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

The layout interior cabin and cockpit layouts are newer and more functional, the 45 had the waste tank close to the aft cabin and would "stick" into the main cabin , was one of the biggest problems. Both 45 and 47 ran about the same w same power. The bravo 3 drives are at there absolute limits with this boat and should be serviced and or rebuilt every 100-150 hours. Also the 45 door to the downstairs was smaller and lower and more prone too hitting your head. The 47 is just roomier and updated. Ive been on both and opted to buy my 47 new back in 2002. It is now for sale with major upgrades, Arneson surface drives and bigger power. cruises at 50 WOT 75-80 http://47excalibur.com/ its listed at $179 ton of videos and pics on the website. pm me if you have any questions, happy to help
Old 03-15-2016, 04:19 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I remember seeing them back in the day thinking they were a great trade-off. I also thought I saw the later 47's were actually labeled with another manufacturers name the last couple years......but I can't remember who?
Old 03-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Registered

47EX,

Thanks for the details. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Were the Bravo 3's at their limit even with stock power?

I saw your boat listed and read both the engine build thread and the Arneson install thread the last couple of nights. That sounds like a fabulous vessel you have. I'd need to sell a couple of kidneys and a liver to be able to step up though.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at these boats and like you I find them very appealing, I have been warned not to get the gas burners by people in the know. 496HOs are not enough to push the boat and many have transom issues because of the amount of stress it takes to get their big butts on plane.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

I've seen 47EXCALIBUR'S boat advertised and it looks awesome. Having spent time on my brother's standard Aussie version, I was very impressed and my brother once asked me what would be needed to make it go 70 mph. I remember saying huge power but it wouldn't be worth it, I guessi was wrong!

RR