Notices

Breakwater Chicago

Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Yea we got lucky docking at DLR when they first opened....they did tell us it would be be $30/hr/boat......but we tipped the dock kids $20each (2 kids) to keep an eye on the rigs (4 boats at the time) and we stayed there and ate for about an hour and half...when it came time to leave the kids were like "have a great day!" and just shoved us off

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
I cannot fathom the political red tape it would take to make this a reality. This IS Chicago we are talking about...

Hell...before it's over, they'd probably have to incorporate some Section 8 housing into the plan to make it legal...
LMAO. more like section 8 boats. Everyone should be entitled to a boat, right?
Old 03-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
Yea we got lucky docking at DLR when they first opened....they did tell us it would be be $30/hr/boat......but we tipped the dock kids $20each (2 kids) to keep an eye on the rigs (4 boats at the time) and we stayed there and ate for about an hour and half...when it came time to leave the kids were like "have a great day!" and just shoved us off
$30 per hour is a bargain, it's $50 per hour to dock at the City Winery on the Chicago river on weekends. A recent city budget meeting one of theidiot tax loving alderman was proposing a lock fee heading both in and out of the lake from the river.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by partlowr
LMAO. more like section 8 boats. Everyone should be entitled to a boat, right?
We have lots of those in Peoria. They usually come out on Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

$30 per hour is a bargain, it's $50 per hour to dock at the City Winery on the Chicago river on weekends. A recent city budget meeting one of theidiot tax loving alderman was proposing a lock fee heading both in and out of the lake from the river.
WHAT! A lock fee!?!? freknsunsa*****es!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Registered

WHAT! A lock fee!?!? freknsunsa*****es!!!
It didn't get passed or even considered but I am sure at some point it will come back into play. Mayor Rahm loves his taxes.....
Old 03-16-2016, 02:08 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Mayor Rahm loves his taxes.....
Living inside the city limits i know all too well!!! My younger brother just moved out to Naperville and is trying to get my parents to move from Morton Grove out there as well.....im saying we go south to Texas!

Old 03-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Registered

Living inside the city limits i know all too well!!! My younger brother just moved out to Naperville and is trying to get my parents to move from Morton Grove out there as well.....im saying we go south to Texas!
Naperville is nice, very upscale, no crime, great dining, nightlife and shopping options, some of the best schools in the country if you have kids. Property taxes in Naperville are relatively low compared to most of the Chicagoland area, lost of corporate headquarters here, lots of retail and a well run city government keeps the taxes low. Moving out of state would be the best option, things are going to go from bad to worse in IL.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 4,304 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Make Chicago Great Again!

Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone local remembers the Baja beach club downtown just down the channel from Navy Pier...they were charging that ($20/hr) per boat and that was some 15-20yrs ago! Man I'm old!!!
Good ole Bah-Jah beach club......blast from the distant past that's for sure!

I'm sure ~if~ the floating island ever does happen, it'll be overpriced, over served, and over commercialized like only Chicago can do to a good idea.