Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
WIDE Cats on tilt trailers - Any special preparations? >

WIDE Cats on tilt trailers - Any special preparations?

Notices

WIDE Cats on tilt trailers - Any special preparations?

Old 03-18-2016, 08:59 AM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Deep pockets is the first thing you need. After that.........your good.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
Deep pockets is the first thing you need. After that.........your good.
Yeah Myco told me 100k to start.

But no permits and you can haul to a run at night at come home Sunday. That's worth a lot.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii

But no permits and you can haul to a run at night at come home Sunday. That's worth a lot.
Try hauling a wide load from Long Island NY through NYC into Upstate NY, and you'll soon realize how stupid the permit laws are....
Let me tell you about a trip we took a few years ago, and attempted to play by the "rules"..... Goes something like this.

Get a permit for a wide load for NY. It's a hassle, but not impossible. Then we're get told it requires travel only in daylight hours, sun up to sun down. OK, we can do that.
Then get told that the NY permit is not valid in NYC....
What? Isn't NYC part of NY?
Yes, but they have their own "rules", and permits, and fees!
Then get told that the NYC permit for a wide load requires travel only after dark, from sun down to sun up!
So, in other words, if we wanted to be completely legal, we would have had to leave LI during the day, try to avoid rush hour (impossible!) and then when you get to the NYC line, stop. Then wait for sundown to continue the few miles through the city, and when you get to the end of the city boundary, stop again and wait 9 - 10 hours for sun up to continue the trip to upstate NY.
So, what normally takes 4 hours from Long Island to my home in Upstate NY, would take at least 13 - 14 hours just to be legal, according to the permit requirements.

Government in action! Sheesh!

We decided to do without the NYC permit and just screw it. Traveled during the morning hours and arrived home in the very early afternoon.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary P
Try hauling a wide load from Long Island NY through NYC into Upstate NY, and you'll soon realize how stupid the permit laws are....
Let me tell you about a trip we took a few years ago, and attempted to play by the "rules"..... Goes something like this.

Get a permit for a wide load for NY. It's a hassle, but not impossible. Then we're get told it requires travel only in daylight hours, sun up to sun down. OK, we can do that.
Then get told that the NYC permit for a wide load requires travel only after dark, from sun down to sun up!
So, in other words, if we wanted to be completely legal, we would have had to leave LI during the day, try to avoid rush hour (impossible!) and then when you get to the NYC line, stop. Then wait for sundown to continue the few miles through the city, and when you get to the end of the city boundary, stop again and wait 9 - 10 hours for sun up to continue the trip to upstate NY.
So, what normally takes 4 hours from Long Island to my home in Upstate NY, would take at least 13 - 14 hours just to be legal, according to the permit requirements.

We decided to do without the NYC permit and just screw it. Traveled during the morning hours and arrived home in the very early afternoon.
Yeah heading to my local lake would take 3 permits, one for each county and one for the state. If I could afford a big cat I wouldn't have any money left for the bs that goes with it!!
Old 03-20-2016, 01:40 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary P

We just did this in February. Hauled a 36 Skater from NJ to Fort Erie back into Canada. I agree the permits rules were strict. We used Mercury Permits out of Nevada to handle all the paper work and applications for the 3 states we crossed. It was painless and cheap at $325 for 3 permits. NY had the most strict rules with not allowing any wide load movement on Sundays. Guess what day we arrived at that border ............

To obtain a permit in Ontario was impossible & that's when the Fu@kit card came out. They wanted me to get my truck relicensed for commercial use and apply for a CVOR. What a pain in the ass.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:44 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii

Prob worth the money. My cat is normal width, but being able to start home Sunday is a big deal.