Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thru hull exhaust get old after a while? >

Thru hull exhaust get old after a while?

Notices

Thru hull exhaust get old after a while?

Old 03-20-2016, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Captains Call is illegal in Pennsylvania. Ask me how I know...

I got stopped in 2008 and out of courtesy I switched my exhaust to quiet when the blue lights came on. - Big mistake! Long story short, the PA law is written as "Any modification to the exhaust system that reduces the effectiveness of the muffling system is illegal, cutouts and diverters are illegal." Basically, when the exhaust is thru-hub, its quiet and when you switch it to thru-hull, you have "reduced the effectiveness". I was told that I had to have it permanently disabled in quiet!
Old 03-20-2016, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mufflers? Captains call? No thanks. One of my favorite things about owning a performance boat with a big block is the exhaust sound.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

A 305 with wet exhaust isn't real loud anyway.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Scagburner

I got stopped in 2008 and out of courtesy I switched my exhaust to quiet when the blue lights came on. - Big mistake! Long story short, the PA law is written as "Any modification to the exhaust system that reduces the effectiveness of the muffling system is illegal, cutouts and diverters are illegal." Basically, when the exhaust is thru-hub, its quiet and when you switch it to thru-hull, you have "reduced the effectiveness". I was told that I had to have it permanently disabled in quiet!
Well, at least I know you didn't heed to that warning!

I've also read quite a few times that north of 3500 it is advised to leave CC off due to back pressure. I wonder if that is actually mfg advised. I've never run on plane with it on. Only have quiet exhaust while idling.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a cheap set of slip in silencers and it will really take the edge off. At your power level you shouldn't notice any performance difference. Taking 8-10 DB with that engine combination would be a HUGE change.

https://www.cpperformance.com/produc...-silencers.htm

And they come out super easy if you need a "loud" day. I use the cheap ones on my boat when tubing etc. BIG difference.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 03-21-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
Well, at least I know you didn't heed to that warning!

I've also read quite a few times that north of 3500 it is advised to leave CC off due to back pressure. I wonder if that is actually mfg advised. I've never run on plane with it on. Only have quiet exhaust while idling.
I have captains call from the factory, it opens at 2500 RPM automatically and closes coming off plane.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Registered

One more question, the highest I can mount the thru hulls is about 3" above the water line at rest, which will put the lowest point of water intrusion into manifolds about 6" above water at rest. Is this sufficient and will the flappers work properly at these Heights?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:58 PM
Registered

Sounds very similar to my last boat, I always worried about it, but never had an issue. I also had the slip ins on that boat, the slip ins will slow water that get past flappers, I'm assuming you are using rubber flappers??? If so you should be fine.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Registered

Yes I plan on using the rubber clamp ons
Old 03-21-2016, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Scagburner

Captains call and switchable mufflers are illegal in Michigan too!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.